Plan your Journey in the Republic of Ireland
Edited by Timbuktu, Maria Sharon Ubando, Lynn, Doug Collins
Europe indeed is such a splendid continent. It has a lot of amazing natural and man-made structures and architectures. One of the most visited countries in Europe is Ireland. Ireland consists of two countries: Northern Ireland, which is a part of the United Kingdom, and the independent Republic of Ireland. With more than 6.2 million tourists who visited in the year 2011, tourism has become one of the major economic contributors in the country.
The Republic of Ireland was once voted the Favorite Holiday Destination in the World. It was also listed one of the friendliest countries in the world in 2011. The majority of the country's visitors come from France, the United States, France and the United Kingdom.
A vacation in the Ireland Republic is not that cheap, but there are some ways on how you can cut down your expenses. Research and planning - these will be your secrets to a good trip to this wonderful country. Read more and learn some tips on how you can plan a very memorable journey to the Republic of Ireland.
Preparations for the Trip
- 1Check out visa requirements.Before you even get excited about the trip, you should check the requirements for acquiring a visa first. For more accurate information, it is better to check the official immigration site of the country. Checking it earlier will give you more time to prepare the requirements or work on things that need to be fixed.Advertisement
- 2Check your passport validity.To refrain from hassles before, or even during the trip, be sure that your passport is within its validity period.Advertisement
- 3Do your homework.It is recommended that you do your research about the country ahead of time, like modes of transportation, the peak/off peak season, culture, attractions, the laws, and many other important things.
- 4Check travel agents.If it is your first out-of-the-country trip, it is recommended that you consult a travel agent. Check online for the cheapest yet still reliable travel service provider.
- 5Travel in a group.Group travels can help you save few bucks through air fare group promos. Take advantage of it.
- 6Choose the right dates.The weather in Ireland is unpredictable. The most recommended travel period is from March to October. It is in this country where it can get dark at 4 in the afternoon during winter, and you will be able to see the sunlight as late as 11 p.m. (This happens in the month of June.) So schedule your trip in the summer or spring, if possible. If you prefer to see a lot of attractions, be there during the peak season. Most attractions close earlier, or never open at all during off-peak season.
- 7Prepare an itinerary.To save you some time, you should prepare an itinerary. This will save you some time. Research about the places, proximity and travel time so you can allot or budget your time for each attraction. This way, you will be able to visit all the places you want to.
- 8Check for prices of accommodation, food and transportation.Having an idea as to the cost of living in the country will help you determine how much money should be allotted.
Attractions to Visit in the Republic of Ireland
Each city in Ireland has its own share of world-class tourist attractions. Depending on what interests you, each country has something waiting for you.
- 3Duckett's Grove.The former home of the Ducketts is uninhabited today. The structure of the home is composed of various shapes, from squares to octagons and circles. Though this splendid house is no longer in use, you can still enjoy its walled gardens, which are restored to their original appearance.
- 2Reginald Tower.One attraction in the British Isle's oldest city, Waterford, is the Reginald Tower. Only a part of the original tower survives today, but it still is an eye-catching site. This circular tower was once a defense fortress and was used as a military store and prison. In the later part of Irish history, the tower served as the regal castle for the royalties. It is also in the same castle that new coins were minted.
- 3Rock of Cashel.A church, castle and cemetery ruins sitting on a hilltop; this is what will welcome you when you visit the Rock of Cashel. This place is considered to be one of the popular attractions in Ireland. Nice landscapes and museums surround the Rock. From the top, you get to see a 360 degrees view of breath-taking landscape.
- 1Kilkenny Castle.The Castle, for 800 years, has served as the city's centerpiece. Kilkenny Castle has been the home of some well-known people in Irish history like the Butlers and the Earls of Ormonde. Some restorations have been done to the Castle and it is now considered to be one of the most kept castles in Ireland.
Festivals to Check Out
A visit to a country can be even more complete if you get to experience one or a few of their festivals. Here are some of the festivals you may want to try during your visit to the Republic.
- 1St Patrick's Festival.This celebration is both a religious and cultural activity. This is in commemoration of the death of Ireland's most recognized saint, St. Patrick.Advertisement
- 2Cork Jazz Festival.Considered to be Europe's most popular jazz festival, the celebration is done in over 90 venues, and it takes places in the later part of October.
- 3Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann (festival of music in Ireland).Running for over 60 years now, the objective of the festival is to strengthen Irish music standards done through competitions.
- 4Galway Oyster Festival.Love oysters? Then you shouldn't miss the longest oyster festival in the world. The event is held after St. Patrick's Day. Enjoy activities and contests like oyster opening, cooking competitions and food tasting. You'll be sure have your eyes and tummy happy!
- 5Cat Laughs Comedy Festival.The festival showcases the internationally-renowned Irish comic acts. If you want a good laugh while in Ireland, you may want to check this out.
- 6Rose of Tralee.Considered to be Ireland's longest running festival, the event showcases girls of Irish descent competing for the Rose of Tralee title.Advertisement
The country has so much to offer, so make sure you plan well ahead of time. You don't want to run out of time and miss anything you want to see.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : United Kingdom
Recent edits by: Lynn, Maria Sharon Ubando, Timbuktu