Plan Your RV Road Trip
Edited by Nerissa Avisado, Lynn
An RV road trip is an experience every family should go through at least a few times before any of the kids have flown the coop. It is a time when the life of a family is often chaotic, but it is also a time when the children learn things at an amazing rate. This is when children adjust quickly to all situations, and their sense of adventure overrides their need for creature comforts.
An RV trip is a truly economical way to see places that you have always wanted to visit at your own pace. It is estimated that by going on an RV trip, a family of four can save more than 70 percent of what they would spend if they traveled any other way. The success of this outing, however, depends greatly on how well prepared you are for it. Read on for some important pointers on how to plan your RV road trip so you can have the grandest and most memorable vacations of your life.
Agreeing on the Basics
Before you can go about planning and preparing for your trip in detail, there are certain things that have to be done.
- 1Decide on your budget.Advertisement
- 2Be clear about where you want to go.Advertisement
- 3Let everyone know what the limitations of the vacation will be.
- 4Make sure everyone is in good health.
Getting Down to Business
Once you get the basics out of the way, you can begin to get down to business of planning and preparing for your trip. Here's how you can start…
- Possible routes you can take
- Tourist destinations and special points of interest along the way
- Restaurants, hotels, motels, stores throughout the route
- Gasoline stations
- 4Create a checklist of what you want to bring and what you will need to do.
- Basic things you will "furnish" your RV with, such as linen, plates, trash bags, etc.
- Features to be inspected upon delivery of the RV. This will include its mechanical features, and the top-to-bottom, inside-out soundness of the RV, etc.
- Meals and shopping. Yes, you will have to draft and use many lists, including a list of the entertainment items you will be bringing (CDs, books, games, magazines, etc.). Fortunately, RV clubs and websites will give you very good samples of what to put in your checklist. Just surf and go through the many available details. Some are so detailed they will even tell you to check the RV's curtains! After all, you want those curtains drawn tight when you are all asleep.
- 5Prepare your RV First Aid Kit.
- Pain relievers
- Wound disinfectant
- Insect repellent
- 6Your emergency supplies will include a charger for each cellphone, extra batteries, rechargeable batteries, extra water, an extra supply of regular medications, etc. You should have a list of emergency contact information in your cellphones and on the wall of the RV.Get your emergency supplies together.
- 7Identify the campgrounds where you plan to stay and look for them online. Usually, these campgrounds will have a site that you can click on to read extensive information about their services. Then, surf around for ratings and reviews on the campsites you have chosen.Check on the campgrounds you will stay in.
- 8Buy a guidebook, get some maps, and, if possible, get a GPS. Download the relevant apps on your iPhone or iPad. This way you will always have help in finding your way.Equip yourself.
- 9Before you drive off into the sunset, why don't you try spending the night in the RV right in your front yard. Try cooking at least one meal there, taking your showers and trying the beds on for comfort. That way you will know for sure that you are ready for that nice, long RV trip.Try it in your front yard.Advertisement
Having second thoughts about going on a long vacation with your fast-growing kids or bosom buddies? An RV road trip might be the right one for you. Imagine the thrill of going places, seeing sights and bonding with your travel companions at your whim. It is not only a great way to teach kids a lot of life lessons in a fun way, but you get to bond with them too, while building happy memories. With the economy of this mode of vacation, you get more while you are in the comforts of your "home."
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Plan Your RV Road Trip. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 23, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Plan_Your_RV_Road_Trip
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Plan Your RV Road Trip." VisiHow, visihow.com/Plan_Your_RV_Road_Trip Accessed 23 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Plan Your RV Road Trip." Accessed Apr 23, 2017. http://visihow.com/Plan_Your_RV_Road_Trip.
Categories : Travel & Leisure
Recent edits by: Nerissa Avisado