Perform the Plough Technique in Thai Massage
Edited by VisiHow, Dougie-1
The Plough Massage Technique used in Thai massage reflexology is a deceptive yoga asana. This technique should be used cautiously and the masseuse should pay close attention to the recipient for any signs of pain or discomfort as this position can apply too much pressure onto the cervical spine. The plough technique should be used near the end of a massage or physical therapy session so that the back and body are properly warmed up to help reduce the risk of injury.
Read the steps that follow for additional information, and don't forget to watch our instructional video at the end of this article.
- 1 Benefits of the Plough Technique
- 2 Video on Performing the Thai Plough Massage
- 3 Additional Tips and Suggestions
- 4 Warnings for Thai Plough Massages
- 5 Referencing this Article
- 6 Comments
Benefits of the Plough Technique
Like all forms of Thai massage, the Plough technique offers whole body benefits, but also has it's own areas that it helps to improve.
The plough reflexology technique can improve the following:
- Chronic Back Pain
- Joint Stiffness
Things You'll Need:
- A mattress or mat on the floor
- A pillow for the comfort of the recipient
- Optional Massage Oil or Cream
Thai Plough Massage Procedure:
- 1Have the individual wanting to receive the plough Thai massage technique lay on his or her back on the mat or mattress with their head rested upon the pillow.Advertisement
- 2This can be as long or short as you would like, but it should adequately warm up the back of the person receiving the massage. Often, the masseuse will take the person's feet in his or her hands and gently rock the body of the individual back and forth several times. This is done by holding the individuals feet together with one hand while the other is helping to push the person's legs towards their head slightly from its placement on the back of the knee.Perform a warm-up routine.Advertisement
- 3When the back is adequately warmed up, place a foot in either hand and open the legs.Take a foot in each hand.
- 4Your feet need to be place on either side of the person's chest. Your toes should come up to their arm pits.With the massage recipient's legs in a V position and their arms outstretched forming a T with the upper body, walk into position without releasing the individuals feet.
- 5Instruct the individual to cover your feet with their upper arms as you bend their knees so that each foot is beside your outer thighs.
- 6Bring their feet in front of your knees and touch the soles together.
- 7Rock them back and forth 8 times.Gently and slowly move their feet in a rocking motion towards their head.
- 8Then again apply gentle pressure and press their feet towards their head then release and move back to the starting position until you reach a count of 8.Open the feet and reposition a little bit closer to the individuals head.
- 9Be careful not to overstretch and injure the individual. You are going to repeat the same motions as before but you want to hold the stretch for a count of 3 before relaxing. Keep repeating this process until you get as close to the floor above the person's head with their feet as possible without inflicting pain or discomfort.Again open the feet and touch them back together closer to the person's head.
- 10Move both feet to the outer sides of your thighs and gently press them downward for a good cervical stretch.
- 11Slowly move backwards over the person's groin area and down to the end of the mat elongating their legs.
- 12Once their legs are fully straight bring their heels together and give their legs a shake to help loosen them up.Advertisement
Video on Performing the Thai Plough Massage
Additional Tips and Suggestions
- Don't rush. The individual will get more flexible with repeat sessions.
- Have the recipient wear loose fitting clothing that will be able to move and stretch without ripping or hindering movement.
- Make sure the room is warm enough that the individual will not get cold.
Warnings for Thai Plough Massages
- Be careful not to over stretch the individual as this could lead to injury.
- Make sure the person is warmed up and relaxed before starting.
- Pay attention to the individual, and make sure he or she is not experiencing discomfort.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Perform the Plough Technique in Thai Massage. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Perform_the_Plough_Technique_in_Thai_Massage
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Perform the Plough Technique in Thai Massage." VisiHow, visihow.com/Perform_the_Plough_Technique_in_Thai_Massage Accessed 24 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Perform the Plough Technique in Thai Massage." Accessed Apr 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Perform_the_Plough_Technique_in_Thai_Massage.
Categories : Physical Health
Recent edits by: VisiHow