Edited by Clifford, Charmed, Ephraim
One time or another some of us did procrastinate. It could be a difficult work or project that we tend to put aside indefinitely. It could be a trip to the doctor for a general check-up. The habit of procrastination usually begins when we lose motivation to do something or we feel that it is not worth doing. It could also be cause by fearing of failure or we feel pressured in doing. These steps outlined could help us at least start to focus our attention on what to be done. There are various reason why we procrastinate some of these are :)
- Because we feel crowded with obligations to others
- We are unrealistic about how long things take
- Our goals and values are too vague
- We are perfectionists
- We are afraid of the criticism of others
- We have a low self-esteem
- We become our own demanding critic
- We are expressing our resentment
- Procrastination is rewarding
- We can avoid the fear of success
To overcome procrastination we have to deal with our more deeply seated inner dialogues and our own personal definitions of "failure", "perfectionism" . You need to have a strategic system in place which will give you the tools needed . Once you know how to control the way you think about your work and motivate yourself, you will then naturally become more efficient and productive. Some technique we can use to minimize if not totally eradicate procrastination in our life are :
- 1Give yourself positive mental images to work from so you can direct your energy toward achieving more rather than worrying more.Positive self-talk - Always have a positive dialogue running inside your mind.Advertisement
- 2Therefore, if you fall short from time to time, accept that and move forward. Don't treat temporary setbacks like the end of the world.Create a mental safety net - Realize that whatever happens, you will survive and keep moving forward with your life.Advertisement
- 3The habits of procrastination can be unlearn in the same way as they are formed but in reverse.Use the symptoms of procrastination to trigger the cure - Every time you make a conscious decision not to procrastinate, you make it easier to do the same in the future.
- 4By doing that, you'll create some powerful incentives to get things done. you'll also be aligning your life with patterns of success.Strategically schedule some guilt-free play time - Shift your focus from how much you work to how much play time you can create.
- 5By doing that, you'll create some powerful incentives to get things done. you'll also be aligning your life with patterns of success.Strategically schedule some guilt-free play time - Shift your focus from how much you work to how much play time you can create.
- 6Develop an action plan and then stick to it and you'll find your worries about projects just naturally dissipate.Make worry work for you rather than against you - Worry can be an ally when it forces you to do your best work.
- 7Then seize upon those gaps and use them to nudge your projects forward. Put more time into leisure and more quality into your work.Create and use an unscheduled time on a daily basis - To find quality time to work on your projects, create some gaps in your schedule.
- 8You're far better off having a few goals you really care about than you are having a suite of goals which you consider have been forced on you. Be highly selective about your goals.Set a few realistic goals which deserve your attention - When it comes to goals, less is more.
- 9instead, get into a "flow state" - where you block out distractions and focus all your energy on the task at hand. Learn how to place yourself in this state at will to achieve more.Learn how to work in your most productive flow state - don't wait until you feel like doing something.
- 10However flourishing individuals persist until what they want is achieved.Turn setbacks into opportunities to maneuver forward - everybody has setbacks.
These are techniques that you can use to prevent the habit of procrastination you have to use them, fine tune them to your needs and with a firm commitment and determination you can prevent the habit from creeping in to your system.