Move a Sim Card Between Samsung Galaxy S3, S4 or Note 2 and iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Lynn, Eng, Anonymous and 14 others
This article is part of our VisiHow series of guides on how to get the most out of the latest Tech.
- 1 Android or iPhone, Different Phones Have Different SIM Sizes
- 2 Mini or Standard SIM Phone Models - August 2014
- 3 Micro SIM Phone Models - August 2014
- 4 Popular Nano SIM Phone Models - August 2014
- 5 Understanding the Different SIM Card Adapters
- 6 How to Use Each of the Different SIM Card Adapters
- 7 Questions and Answers
- 7.1 I damaged my SIM card during the cutting procedure. I want to retain my number. What should I do?
- 7.2 I really want to use my bigger SIM card to a phone supporting a smaller SIM card but I do not want to cut my SIM card smaller. What should I do?
- 7.3 I can fit the SIM card to my phone but it only recognizes SIM cards from one specific network. What is the problem with this?
- 7.4 Can I put my SIM card from a Note 2 into a Note 3?
- 7.5 Do iPhone and Samsung Galaxy S5 have the same SIM card?
- 7.6 My original Galaxy Note's SIM card is not working when it's in my Galaxy Note, but it is when it's in another phone?
- 7.7 Is the SIM card for the Galaxy S3 the same size as the Galaxy S4?
- 7.8 Can I use the SIM for a Samsung Galaxy S3 in a Samsung Galaxy S4?
- 7.9 I want to use a BlackBerry 9780 Bold and Samsung S4 Mini with the same SIM. Is this possible?
- 7.10 Are Samsung Galaxy S3s mostly sold without micro SIM cards?
- 7.11 I have purchased Samsung Galaxy S5. I need to copy my contacts from my old Samsung Duos. How can I do this?
- 7.12 I factory reset my phone and lost some of my contact details on my Galaxy Note 3. Help!
- 7.13 What adapter shall I use in order convert a bigger SIM card into a smaller one? i.e. Mini SIM to Micro SIM or Nano SIM, Micro SIM to Nano SIM?
- 7.14 I really want to use my SIM card to a phone with a smaller SIM slot. What can I do?
- 7.15 Switching a SD card for 3G service?
- 7.16 My GS3 suffered a water damage and now the screen is constantly dark but still visible?
- 8 Comments
Android or iPhone, Different Phones Have Different SIM Sizes
Phone manufacturers use a number of SIM card sizes, which can be confusing.
Those of us who have more than one phone, or tried to upgrade an older phone to the newer generation of phones, including the iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Alpha and S5 models, or the Samsung Note 4, already know that there are differences in SIM cards and sizes. However, many people don't find out that their existing SIM cards won't work until they buy a new phone. To complicate matters, some SIM card sizes won't work certain model phones, but they will work with others.
So, if you've got an extra SIM, or just upgraded your phone, how can you know which SIM card will work in your Apple, Google, HTC, Kindle, LG, Microsoft, Nokia, Samsung, or Sony phone or Tablet? This VisiHow guide is how you'll be able to tell the difference. Here, we'll describe each SIM card size, the phones they are compatible with, and how you can use them in phones they aren't normally compatible with.
The phones described in the picture below use different sizes of SIM cards. Normally, you can move a SIM card from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S3, but not to an iPhone 3GS. This can get confusing, so we've made a guide to help explain the differences:
You can see that all of these devices use one of the following three SIM card sizes:
- 1Mini SIM Card was once the most common SIM card, and is still the largest SIM card.It is most often found in older model phones, and nearly every phone that isn't a smartphone. In the guide above, you can see that the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS also use a mini SIM card, but this is because they are older phones.2Micro SIM Card is designed to fit thinner phones designs.This is just a smaller version of the Mini SIM, and the contacts for both the Mini and Micro SIM card are exactly the same. The only difference is the length of the plastic that holds the contacts. A micro SIM is smaller than a mini SIM, but larger than a Nano SIM. The Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, and iPhone 4 and 4S all use the micro SIM card. For smartphones, this is by far the most common SIM type.3Nano SIM Card is for the thinnest and smallest devices currently manufactured.The Nano SIM completely removes any excess plastic bedding around the SIM card's contacts, and leaves only enough to keep the contacts in place once in the phone. Currently only a select few elite flagship phones use the Nano SIM. These include the iPhone 6, iPhone 5 and 5S, HTC One and Desire, Motorola MotoX, Nokia Lumia, and Samsung Galaxy Alpha.
Mini or Standard SIM Phone Models - August 2014
These are some popular Mini SIM phone models you might see.
All of these phones use a standard, or 'mini' sized SIM card. These SIM cards can be cut down, and will fit in the 'micro' category of SIM card phones. Most stores where you purchase your phone should be able to cut the card for you, but if you want to cut it yourself, look in our Q&A section below this article for links and tips on how to do that. Otherwise, we provide instructions in the area following these phone lists for how to change sizes, and where to get the tools to cut your own SIM cards if that's what you want to do.
- 1Apple iPhone, iPhone 3, 3GS2BlackBerry Bold 97903BlackBerry Touch 99004HTC Desire 210, 310, 516, 6165Huawei Ascend Y3006Huawei Honor 3X G7507Lenovo A 316i, A 369i, A 5168Lenovo Golden Warrior A8, S8, S650, S930, S939,9LG Optimus L7 P700, L9 P760,10LG L60, L70, L9011Nokia Asha 205, 210, 305, 306, 30812Nokia 500, N8, N90013Nokia X6, X7-0014Samsung Galaxy Ace, Fame, Grand, Nexus, Pocket, S Advance, S, S2, Trend, Young15
Micro SIM Phone Models - August 2014
Micro SIM phones are increasingly common, and these are some of the top models.
As of 2014, these are the most common SIM cards for smartphones. This size SIM card can be put into the standard (mini) size SIM phones with an adapter, or they can be cut down to fit into a nano SIM (though this doesn't always work 100% of the time when cutting the cards down).
- 1Apple iPhone 4, 4S2BlackBerry Q5, Q10, Z3, Z10, Z303Google Nexus 4, 5, 7 (2013)4HTC Butterfly, Butterfly S.5HTC Desire 300, 500, 600, 6016HTC One 802W, M7 (2013), Max, Mini, Mini 601E, S Z560E (with 1.7GHz Processor), X+7Huawei Ascend P2, P68LG G Flex D958, Flex F-340K (Korean), Pro 2, G2, G2 Mini, G3, G3 Beat9LG Nexus 410LG Optimus F5 P875, G, G Pro E988, GJ E975W, L9 II, Vu11LG Vu 312Motorola Luge13Motorola Moto E, G, G Dual14Motorola RAZR I, Spyder15Nokia Asha 50116Nokia Lumia 520, 610, 620, 625, 630, 635, 710, 720, 800, 820, 850, 900, 920, 925, 928, 1020, 132017Nokia X Dual18Samsung Galaxy Express, S3, S4, S5, S5 Mini,19Sony Xperia C3, M C1905, M2 D2305, M2, S, SP C5302, SP, T, T2 Ultra D5303, T3 D5103, TX, V, Z 850, Z C6603, Z Ultra C6802, Z Ultra C6833, ZL C6503, ZL C6502, ZR C5502, ZR C5503, Z1 Compact, Z1, Z2 D6503
Popular Nano SIM Phone Models - August 2014
The Nano SIM is usually only found in the very best phones. Here are some examples.
Using an adapter, these SIM cards can be put in older model phones that accept micro and mini (standard) SIM card sizes.
- 1Apple iPhone 5, 5C, 5S, iPhone 62ASUS PadFone Infinity3HTC One (M8)4Motorola Droid Maxx, Mini, Ultra5Motorola Moto X XT10526Nokia Lumia 9307Samsung Galaxy Alpha
- Keep in mind that this is not a complete list, but we do our best to keep it current and up to date. If your phone is missing and you know it fits one of these categories, why not click 'Edit' and add your phone model to the list? Or, if you're uncomfortable editing, just leave a comment below.
Understanding the Different SIM Card Adapters
SIM card adapters allow you to use a smaller SIM in a phone that requires a bigger SIM card.
These adapters essentially replicate the plastic that surrounds the metal contacts on a bigger SIM card. This means that you can use a micro SIM as a mini SIM, or even use a nano SIM as a micro SIM, if you have the correct SIM Card Adapter.
- 1Nano SIM to Micro SIM Adapter will allow you to use a nano SIM card as a micro SIM card.You can get one from either eBay or Amazon.2Nano SIM to Mini SIM Adapter -will allow you to use a nano SIM card as a mini SIM card.You can get one from either eBay or Amazon.3Micro SIM to Mini SIM Adapter will allow you to use a micro SIM card as a mini SIM card.You can get one from either eBay or Amazon.
How to Use Each of the Different SIM Card Adapters
Knowing which SIM card you have will let you know which SIM Card Adapter to use.
The pictures below will help you understand the differences between each type of SIM card adapter, and which of them you can use the phones we've listed in this article.
- 1Nano SIM to Micro SIM Adapter allows you to use a nano SIM card from an iPhone 6 or other nano SIM phone to any of the mini SIM phones.These include the Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 2, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S.2Nano SIM to Mini SIM Adapter allows you to use a nano SIM card from an iPhone 5 in an iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS.You can also use it from any supported Android device with the nano SIM to a mini SIM.3Micro SIM to Mini SIM Adapter allows you to use a micro SIM card from a Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 2, iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S in an iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS.It also supports the other listed micro SIM phone models, such as the Samsung Galaxy S2.
Questions and Answers
I damaged my SIM card during the cutting procedure. I want to retain my number. What should I do?
Most network providers provide SIM number transfer services. Make a call to your carrier's customer service representative and ask for the service. You may be asked to provide some documents and will be required to pay a minimal fee.
I suggest you contact your carrier so you can use the same number in a new SIM card. The procedure also depends on the carrier's policies. One thing is for sure: if the service is available, they will ask for documents and a fee.
I really want to use my bigger SIM card to a phone supporting a smaller SIM card but I do not want to cut my SIM card smaller. What should I do?
You can use external devices where you can insert your SIM card and connect it to your phone via Bluetooth. Apple Peel is for iPhones while Gmate works for Android phones and iPhones.
Well there is still some hope for you. If you don't want to cut your SIM, then you can simply go to your network provider and ask them to give you a nano SIM. There would be a fee though. You can also try to look for some adapters for nano SIM cards and buy one, then cut your SIM into a nano size and when you don't feel like using it anymore, you can use the adapter to make it big again.
Yes, this is an alternate route you can take but this will not allow the SIM card to be inserted into your device. You are going to need to either purchase a new SIM card or you can in fact visit your carriers customer service to have your SIM information transferred from one SIM to another.
See more questions like this: Cut SIM doesn't read. Have already cut it to size
I can fit the SIM card to my phone but it only recognizes SIM cards from one specific network. What is the problem with this?
Some phones are locked to a particular service provider. You may need to have your device unlocked to other networks. Take note that this procedure may invalidate the phone's warranty. To be sure, review your phone's TOS and the contract (if you have one) that you have signed with your network provider.
Your phone might be carrier network locked. This means that it will only accept SIM cards from the carrier network where it is locked to. In order to use SIM cards from other carrier networks on your phone, you will need to unlock your device first, but be reminded that unlocking your device might void your phone's warranty, so if it is possible, please call the carrier network where your phone is locked to and ask them to unlock your phone. Many carrier networks offer free unlocking upon request.
See more questions like this: My phone won't recognize my SIM card even if it supports the card's network. What is the problem here
Can I put my SIM card from a Note 2 into a Note 3?
Both the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Samsung Galaxy Note 3 use a micro SIM card so you should not have troubles moving your SIM from a Galaxy Note 2 to a Galaxy Note 3. You can also check out this VisiHow article about Install SIM Card and Battery on Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and this article on Move a Sim Card Between Samsung Galaxy S3, S4 or Note 2 and iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5 including Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
Yes, You can use your Samsung Galaxy Note 2's Sim card on your Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Both of these phones use a micro SIM.
See more questions like this: Can you put a Galaxy Note 2 SIM card in an iPhone
Do iPhone and Samsung Galaxy S5 have the same SIM card?
The iPhone 3G and 3GS use the same SIM card size as the Galaxy S5, which is a micro SIM. Newer iPhone models, such as the 4, 4S, 5, 5C, or 5S, use smaller SIM cards which are not compatible with the S5 without the use of an adapter.
See more questions like this: How to remove sim card to samsung galxy s4
My original Galaxy Note's SIM card is not working when it's in my Galaxy Note, but it is when it's in another phone?
When I send a message I get a box that says "not registered.""
If you are on the Verizon or Sprint network, make sure your Note 1 still has a clean ESN. Take off the back cover of the phone and remove the battery to find the IMEI/ESN number for the Note 1. Call your cell provider and verify that the ESN number is still good to work on their network.
See more questions like this: I am buying an iphone 3gs but I now have a samsung note 1 and need a sim card adapter....trying to figure out which one
Is the SIM card for the Galaxy S3 the same size as the Galaxy S4?
I had the S4 and changed to the S4 and don't know if the SIM card the same size?
Yes, they are the same. The Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S4 both use the micro SIM size of SIM cards.
See more questions like this: How do I switch my sim card from a galaxy s3 to an s4
Can I use the SIM for a Samsung Galaxy S3 in a Samsung Galaxy S4?
My S3 does not work and have ordered an S4 but I need to keep all the contacts on S3.
Yes, you can use the same SIM from your S3 in your S4, but your contacts will be retrieved when you use your previous Gmail information to sync your information, not from the SIM itself.
See more questions like this: Can i put my s3 sim in an iphone 4(s)
I want to use a BlackBerry 9780 Bold and Samsung S4 Mini with the same SIM. Is this possible?
I want to buy a BlackBerry which takes a standard SIM and the S4 takes a micro I believe. I want to use the phones in different circumstances; can I do this?
If you are using both phones on the same carrier, then it is possible to do this by purchasing an adapter. Get the micro SIM for the Galaxy S4 first and then purchase the micro SIM to mini SIM adapter as seen here for your BlackBerry:
Are Samsung Galaxy S3s mostly sold without micro SIM cards?
Samsung Galaxy S3's are mostly sold w/out micro SIM cards, but I need it to use the phone. I'm told no personal data is stored on them, so why do they take them out, and where would I get a replacement. Carrier is Sprint, and I want to replace an old HTC with a GS3. Thanks.
This depends on where you bought the S3. If you bought it from a reseller, you might not have received a micro SIM card; if you bought it from Sprint, you should have received one. Use the link below to contact Sprint about getting your SIM card for your device:
See more questions like this: Blackberry sim to Samsung Galaxy grand new
I have purchased Samsung Galaxy S5. I need to copy my contacts from my old Samsung Duos. How can I do this?
If your Samsung Duos phone is synced with your Google account, all you'll need to do to sync your contacts is log in to your Google account on your new Galaxy S5 and your contacts will automatically sync.
I factory reset my phone and lost some of my contact details on my Galaxy Note 3. Help!
I went into a Samsung shop because my almost new Note 3 was constantly freezing or the screen was going blank. He said I needed to reset it back to factory settings. I had no idea how to keep my contacts photos etc and he said that was easy. He copied my contacts to my SIM card and the music and photos to my SD card. He told me how to reset it and I went home and did it. My problem is that I have lost a lot of detail from my contacts. It looks like it gave me the first number of each contact; for instance, I might have their mobile but not the work number. Help
Provided that you logged into your Google account before you factory reset your device, your phone should automatically sync your contact information. If you did not log into your Google account before the reset, you'll unfortunately need to manually enter the contact information you lost.
See more questions like this: Is it possible to use a Galaxy Tab 3 tablet as a phone
What adapter shall I use in order convert a bigger SIM card into a smaller one? i.e. Mini SIM to Micro SIM or Nano SIM, Micro SIM to Nano SIM?
There is no way to do that. SIM card adapters only function as an additional bed for a smaller SIM so it will fit into a bigger SIM slot. Needless to say, no adapter can convert a bigger SIM card so it can fit into a smaller SIM slot. It is only a step-up process and cannot be the other way around.
See more questions like this: Do you know if walmart sells these nano sim to micro sim adapters
I really want to use my SIM card to a phone with a smaller SIM slot. What can I do?
You can cut your own SIM to make it fit to a smaller SIM slot. You can use this guide on how to Cut Your Own Nano SIM for iPhone 5. Please take extra caution in doing this to reduce the risk of damaging your SIM card.
Yes, the guide that was provided can help you to cut your SIM card. You will need to be very careful -- one slip up can cause permanent damage to your SIM card. I would recommend going to your service provider in order to get a SIM card that can fit into your device without having to cut your SIM card.
See more questions like this: My phone has no SIM card slot. Help!
Switching a SD card for 3G service?
I have a Samsung Tab on Verizon network I purchased a Samsung Tab 3 but it does not have a choice in setup to put on the network is there software I can down load to have set up look for the SD card
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
See more questions like this: Pleas can you tell me where I can put my sd memory card
My GS3 suffered a water damage and now the screen is constantly dark but still visible?
Already used rice, no battery damage
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Tech
Recent edits by: Grimm, Doug Collins, Dougie-1
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 95,706 times.