Motivate Yourself to Study
Edited by Christine Cruz, Lynn, Eng, Nuance
Procrastination - the horrible monster that haunts many students. Even the geeks and the nerds suffer from this. It is the simplest way to destroy plans, and even dreams. In the classroom, teachers already have a hard time motivating students to study, so what can a student do in order to motivate him or herself to read those unending notes? Just thinking about formulas and principles can easily divert our minds to laziness. As a student, it is your responsibility to propel that interest in studying.
From the Latin word "movere", which means to move, motivation is the stimulation of action toward a particular objective where previously there was little or no attraction toward the goal. It refers to "what gets an individual moving toward a particular activity and tasks". It is what makes individuals do what they do (Pintrich, 2003).
- 1In the classroom, teachers try different strategies and techniques in order to light a fire under their students, or to motivate their students during the lesson. These are ways to get the students' attention and interest. Once the students' attention is caught, it is very crucial for a teacher to maintain that attention throughout the discussion until the end. Then, students should still be motivated to study, even if they are not on the premises of the school.Teachers.Advertisement
- 2Students should understand that motivation plays a vital part in their education. Their willingness to learn can be correlated to their academic performance. The more willing a student is to study, the more chances they have of successful learning. Thus, it is very important for a student to be motivated in studying.Students.Advertisement
Motivation levels are just like a personality. Levels of motivation differ from one person to another. You cannot just say that every student in the class will be motivated the same way - they won't. That's why teachers implement a number of strategies, in order to accommodate as many of the students in the class as possible.
Figure out your motivation. Find the right tools and tricks that will motivate you. You may ask your friends, or even the smartest person in your class about what they usually do to get themselves studying. Then you may try all of them. This may seem a desperate move, but you'll never know what works until you try.
Kinds of Motivation
- 1This refers to behavior that is driven by internal rewards. Intrinsic motivation refers to the reasons why we perform certain activities for inherent satisfaction or pleasure; you might say performing one of these activities in reinforcing in-and-of itself. (Brown, 2007) This motivations causes you to feel good about yourself.Intrinsic Motivation.Advertisement
- 2This refers to behavior that is driven by external rewards such as money, fame, grades, and praise. Extrinsic motivation refers to our tendency to perform activities for known external rewards, whether they are tangible (e.g., money), or psychological (e.g., praise) in nature. (Brown, 2007)Extrinsic Motivation.
Find Your Motivation
- 2Once you understand the reasons you want or need to be motivated to study, cite the things studying will eventually give to you.
- 3Whether it's your bedroom, the library or a tree house, you should be able to locate a place where you are comfortable enough to study.Find Your Sanctuary.
- 4The time of the day affects not only your willingness to study, but also your body itself. Identify the part of the day in which your mind is the most active. Like your sanctuary, time contributes greatly to your motivation to study.Get Your Timing Right.
- Nocturnal people are active at night. They are not necessarily vampires, but they find themselves at the height of their energy at night. They may also find themselves waking up in at 2 in the morning because their minds are active. This is sometimes the time of the day when people find themselves coming up with great ideas. ##Diurnal people are active during the day. Are you a morning person? Wake up in the morning and study. Your mind is fresh from sleep, and therefore energy is waiting to be wasted. How about the afternoon? After a long day at school, you may be in the mood to study. Your brain is still active, so why not study now?
- 5Math or English? Maybe History or PE. Worst, you may find the most interesting subject to you is lunch. No! Look where your interest lies. What you are passionate about.Pinpoint Your Most Interesting Subject.
- 1In studying, pressuring yourself that you need to study won't do you any good. This is not a pressure cooker. You should study because you want to learn. You must find yourself wanting to study first.Stop with Must, Should, and Need.
- 2Well, getting good grades is good, too, but mastering learning a subject because you are interested in it is better - passionate about it - that's the best. Pushing yourself hard to achieve good grades is another indicator of pressure which won't really do you much good in the end.Set Aside Good Grades.
- 3Discouraging yourself this way is obviously damaging. Pessimism is never a good thing. In everything, you must keep a positive attitude, and this includes studying. When you find yourself giving up or being discouraged, say "I can" instead of "I can't".Forget "I Can't".
- 1Why not reward yourself after an accomplishment? Do something like treating yourself to a trip to your favorite restaurant or the mall. Eat your favorite food or sweets.Give Yourself a Reward.
- 2You do not have to be boastful, but it is good to praise yourself once in a while. Be proud of yourself, but don't let it get to your head too much. Having approval and commendation from yourself should come first. When someone praises you, accept it graciously and gratefully. This will definitely boost your motivation more.Praise Your Own Achievements.
- 5Some people really become motivated by these things.Think of Fame, Recognition, Status, and Privileges.
At the end of the day, it will be all up to you whether you are willing to be motivated or not. Studying may be hard work, but it will definitely give you satisfaction. Gaining knowledge is why we study. Motivate yourself and you will soon realize why everyone needs to study.
Categories : Communications & Education
Recent edits by: Eng, Lynn, Christine Cruz