Monitor Bandwidth per User Mac Address on Dd-Wrt
Edited by Doug Collins, Eng
If you have a dd-wrt router like me and are perplexed by your unexpected bandwidth usage then this wiki should help you out. It will list your usage peak & non-peak by mac address.
- 1http://code.google.com/p/wrtbwmon/wiki/DeployingFollow the instructions on this page:Advertisement
- 2I used /tmp instruction since I don't have any fancy jffs (whatever that is)Advertisement
- 3I used putty.exe to telnet in on port 23 as root and my router password.
- 4I don't know if this helps but you can also enter the crontab in the GUI under Administration > Management about halfway down the page in the "cron" section. I mention this because I would think changes here might be be persistent after a reboot. This needs to be tested. Feel free to modify this wiki to add these results.Add the crontab entries to /tmp/cron.d by making a file and adding the entries given.
- 5I ran all the commands manually to generate the usage.htm file the first time myself.
- 7So don't reboot unless you have to. If you do you will need to re-install by following these instructions again.Since I am doing all this under the /tmp folder if I reboot the router all data will be lost.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
I have an E2000 and I am a Windows user. Is there another product that I can use to monitor bandwidth by mac address that is user friendly?
I have a gang of WiFi and LAN gadgets drawing bandwidth but when only one or two is being used, I still experience serious draw from gadgets that aren't being used and I would like to narrow it down. Do you know of a good app?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Monitor Bandwidth per User Mac Address on Dd-Wrt. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 26, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Monitor_Bandwidth_per_User_Mac_Address_on_Dd-Wrt
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Monitor Bandwidth per User Mac Address on Dd-Wrt." VisiHow, visihow.com/Monitor_Bandwidth_per_User_Mac_Address_on_Dd-Wrt Accessed 26 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Monitor Bandwidth per User Mac Address on Dd-Wrt." Accessed Mar 26, 2017. http://visihow.com/Monitor_Bandwidth_per_User_Mac_Address_on_Dd-Wrt.
Categories : Networking
Recent edits by: Doug Collins