Moisturize Your Skin and Help Relieve Dryness and Flaking by Using Coconut Oil
Edited by Ian Gabriel T. Tolledo, Eng, Lynn, Nuance
Try running your finger over your arms and legs, does it leave a white mark? If yes, then you have a dry skin that may also include flaking. Oftentimes, branded skin treatments will not help due to their abrasive or strong chemical ingredients. Thankfully, nature will provide for all our needs if only we are willing to learn. If you want to relieve your dry skin, you may want to think about coconut oil.
Causes of Dry Skin
Dry skin is characterized by dry, flaking, scaly, itchy, cracking or tight skin. It is a common problem that most people experience from time to time. It most often affects the thighs, arms, lower legs, lips, face and the side of the abdomen. Be wary though, as the kind of care our skin needs varies with every person, and should be determined by type of skin. Having dry skin really is really annoying, as generally dry skin is due to lack of moisture or proper lubrication to keep your skin hydrated. Below are the most common reasons for dry skin:
- 1It is common belief that cold weather strips the skin of moisture. The colder months can really wreak havoc on your skin. When the temperature drops, so does the humidity level. To combat this, people usually cover up most of their skin when they're outdoors, however, no matter how much you try and protect your skin from the cold winter air, it will still strip the skin of its natural moisture barrier and cause it to flake. Aside from the temperature outdoors, indoors, we have to deal with the damage heating causes to our skin.Winter.Advertisement
- 2For those hygeinomanics (yes, I coined that term), over-washing or bathing can result in a bad case of dry skin. Not only is over-rinsing detrimental to the skin's natural oils, but it also peels off the top layer of the skin, causing dermatitis and other skin problems. Harsh soaps and other cleansers accompanied with washing adds to the problem.Over-washing.Advertisement
- 3As you mature in age, so does your skin. Even people who spend fortunes on keeping their skin wrinkle-free, will, over time, suffer from dry and problematic skin; this is a natural part of the aging process. Aging causes our skin's outer layer, or epidermis to thin, and the pigment-containing cells decrease. These changes affect the skin's elasticity and strength. So do expect an increase in the frequency of dry skin as you age.Aging.
- 4This is ironic, but the cosmetics and skin lotions you use can indeed contribute to dry, flaking skin. Primarily, anti-zit skin lotions are to blame. The strong fumes and ingredients in these medications can cause the skin to lose minerals and contribute to dry skin. There are other medications, like diuretics, that also cause dry skin.Medication.
Majestic Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has the ability to nourish and heal the skin and has been used in the tropics for hundreds of years. One of the many benefits of using coconut oil is its ability to substitute most of the more toxic, potentially harmful and drying "beauty products" out there on the market. More than 90 percent of coconut oil consists of saturated fats, along with some traces of few unsaturated fatty acids, such as monounsaturated fatty acids along with polyunsaturated fatty acids. Virgin coconut oil is the same.
- 1Aside from hydrating the epidermis and preventing undesirable dryness, coconut oil helps to make your skin feel softer. Despite being an oil, you needn't worry about greasiness, as coconut oil won't make your skin feel oily.Hydration.Advertisement
- 2Natural coconut oil works to improve the health and elasticity of your skin in numerous ways. Its high moisture-retaining capacity really helps prevent your skin from becoming dry. Its nutrient content nourishes your skin layers deep down.Improves the health of your skin.
- 3The antioxidant properties help combat the results of harmful free radicals and pollution in the environment, and its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal capabilities help reduce the risk of infections.Coconut as an antioxidant.
Coconut Oil Skin Treatment
You probably already know that all modern skin medications were originally derived from some organic source and combined with chemicals. These chemicals contribute to their high prices, but not the effectiveness of the product. There are two ways you can utilize coconut oil for dry skin:
- 1Virgin Coconut Oil Paste.
- Liberally apply the mixture to the affected area and leave it on.
- Applying the mixture in the morning will protect and moisturize your skin throughout the day.
- Applying it in the evening will moisturize and heal your skin overnight. Here's a link to a good product. Organic Coconut Oil
- 2Softgel. Simply follow the instruction on the manufacturer's label, and you're good to go.Virgin Coconut Oil Capsules.
Four Types of Skin
Virgin coconut oil is best for all skin types above, and it can solve skin problems for every individual, so it's best to have VCO at your disposal - you will not regret it.
- 2Dry skin.
Other Causes of Dry Skin
- 1One of the earliest symptoms of diabetes is dryness of the skin. In case you are experiencing dryness, particularly in your hands and your feet without any reason, it's a good idea to have yourself tested for diabetes. High blood glucose levels lead to poor movement, and recurrent urination dehydrates your body faster thus causing dehydrated skin. Detecting type 2 diabetes at an early stage may help you get it under control.Diabetes.
- 2While swimming is good for your health, prolonged periods in the water can be bad for your skin's layer and follicles. The chlorine present in the water in the pool is the main culprit in this. Extended stays in the swimming pool take away the essential level of oil in your skin. Always shower after swimming in a chlorinated pool.Swimming.
- 4Use of hair care products that come into contact with the skin around the hairline could potentially cause an unwanted drying.Advertisement
Tips, Tricks, and Warnings
- A lot of people benefit from applying coconut oil on their skin, but a few may experience irritation. Always test new solutions – even natural ones – on a small area of your body, inside an elbow works well to ensure there's no adverse reaction before utilizing more liberally. Wait for half an hour, and look for any irritation, itchiness or redness. If any are present, you might be hypersensitive to coconut oil.
- Do not experiment with other "organic" materials if you don't have all the facts, but if you really want to try a new treatment, please research first.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Moisturize Your Skin and Help Relieve Dryness and Flaking by Using Coconut Oil. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Moisturize_Your_Skin_and_Help_Relieve_Dryness_and_Flaking_by_Using_Coconut_Oil
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Moisturize Your Skin and Help Relieve Dryness and Flaking by Using Coconut Oil." VisiHow, visihow.com/Moisturize_Your_Skin_and_Help_Relieve_Dryness_and_Flaking_by_Using_Coconut_Oil Accessed 24 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Moisturize Your Skin and Help Relieve Dryness and Flaking by Using Coconut Oil." Accessed Apr 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Moisturize_Your_Skin_and_Help_Relieve_Dryness_and_Flaking_by_Using_Coconut_Oil.
Categories : Skin Care & Diseases
Recent edits by: Lynn, Eng, Ian Gabriel T. Tolledo