Moisturize Your Skin and Help Relieve Dryness and Flaking by Using Coconut Oil
Edited by Ian Gabriel T. Tolledo, Eng, Lynn
Try running your finger over your arms and legs, does it leave a white mark? If yes, then you have a dry skin that may also include flaking. Oftentimes, branded skin treatments will not help due to their abrasive or strong ingredients. Thankfully, nature will provide for all our needs if only we are willing to find it. If you want to relieve your dry skin, you may want to think about coconut oil.
Causes of dry skin
Dry skin is mostly characterized by dry, flaking, scaly, cracking or tight skin. It is a common problem that affects all people from time to time, and it most often affects the thighs, arms, lower legs, lips, face and the side of the abdomen. Be wary though, as the kind of care our skin needs varies with every person, and should be determined by type of skin. Having dry skin really is a blunder, as generally dry skin is due to lack of moisture or proper lubricant to keep it hydrated. Below are the most common reasons for dry skin:
- 1Winter season.It is common belief that cold weather strips the skin of moisture. The colder months can really wreak havoc on your skin. When the temperature drops, so does the humidity level. To combat this, people usually cover up most of the skin. However, no matter how much you conceal from the cool winter air, it can still strip the skin of its natural moisture barrier and cause it to flake off.Advertisement
- 2Over-washing.For those hygeinomanics (yes, I coined that term), over-washing or bathing can result in a bad case of dry skin. Not only is over-rinsing detrimental to the skin's natural oil, but it also peels off the top layer of the skin, causing dermatitis and other skin problems. Harsh soaps and other cleansers accompanied with washing only adds to the problem.Advertisement
- 3Aging.As you mature in age, so does your skin. Even people who spend fortunes on keeping their skin line-free will overtime suffer from dry and problematic skin; this is natural. With aging, our skin's outer layer, or epidermis, thins and the pigment-containing cells decreases, these changes affect the skin's elasticity and strength. So do expect an increase in dry skin frequency as you age.
- 4Medication.This is ironic, but the cosmetics and skin lotions you use can indeed contribute with dry, flaking skin. Primarily, anti-zit skin lotions are to blame. The strong fumes and ingredients in these medications can cause the skin to lose minerals and contribute to dry skin.
Majestic coconut oil
Coconut oil has the ability to nourish and heal the skin and has been known in the tropics for hundreds of years. One of the best things about using coconut oil benefits is the fact that it removes the need for most of the more toxic, potentially harmful and drying "beauty" products out there on the market. More than 90 percent of coconut oil consists of saturated fats, along with some trace of few unsaturated fatty acids, such as monounsaturated fatty acids along with polyunsaturated fatty acids. Virgin coconut oil is the same as this.
- 1Aside from hydrating the epidermis and preventing undesirable dryness, coconut oil helps to make your epidermis feel softer.And despite being an oil, you needn't worry about greasiness, as coconut oil won't make your skin oily.Advertisement
- 2Natural coconut oil works to improve the health and elasticity of your skin in numerous ways.Its high moisture-retaining capacity really helps to prevent your skin from becoming dry. Its nutrient content nourishes your skin layers deep down.
Coconut oil skin treatment
You probably already know that all modern skin medications were originally derived from some organic source and combined with other chemicals which only contributed to its price - not the effectiveness. There are two ways you can utilize coconut oil for dry skin.
- 1Virgin coconut oil paste.Organic coconut oilAdvertisement
- 2Virgin coconut oil capsules.Softgel simply follow the instruction from the manufacturer and you're good to go.
Four types of skin
- 2Dry skin.
Virgin coconut oil is best for all skin types above, and it can solve skin problems for every individual, so it's best to have VCO at your disposal - you will not regret it.
Other causes of dry skin
- 1Diabetes.One of the earliest symptoms of diabetes is dryness of the skin. In case you are experiencing dryness, particularly in your hands and your feet without any reason, it is a good idea to have yourself tested for diabetes. High blood glucose levels leads to poor movement, and recurrent urination dehydrates your body faster thus causing dehydrated skin. Detecting type 2 diabetes at an early stage may help you bring it in order.
- 2Swimming.While swimming is good for your health, prolonged periods in the water can be bad for your skin's layer and follicles. The chlorine present in the water in the pool is the main culprit in this. Extended stays in the swimming pool take away the essential level of oil in your skin.
Tips, Tricks, and Warning
- A lot of people benefit from applying coconut oil on their skin, but a few may experience irritation. Always test new solutions – even natural ones – on the small area of your whole body to ensure there's no adverse reaction before utilizing more liberally.
- Do not experiment with other "organic" materials if you don't have all the facts, but if you really want to try a new treatment, please research first.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Moisturize Your Skin and Help Relieve Dryness and Flaking by Using Coconut Oil. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Moisturize_Your_Skin_and_Help_Relieve_Dryness_and_Flaking_by_Using_Coconut_Oil
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Moisturize Your Skin and Help Relieve Dryness and Flaking by Using Coconut Oil." VisiHow, visihow.com/Moisturize_Your_Skin_and_Help_Relieve_Dryness_and_Flaking_by_Using_Coconut_Oil Accessed 24 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Moisturize Your Skin and Help Relieve Dryness and Flaking by Using Coconut Oil." Accessed Mar 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Moisturize_Your_Skin_and_Help_Relieve_Dryness_and_Flaking_by_Using_Coconut_Oil.
Categories : Skin Care & Diseases
Recent edits by: Eng, Ian Gabriel T. Tolledo