Measure the Effectiveness of an E-Mail Marketing Campaign
Edited by JMA, Robbi, Anonymous, Lynn and 1 other
One of the most important things about email marketing is to ensure your return on investment (ROI) remains reasonable.
What many people often don't realize is that even when no money is going into sending out an e-mail, your time is being used. The payout for that time should be commensurate with your effort.
How to Determine Your ROI on an Email Campaign-Important Considerations
- 1A good starting point is to focus on the click-through rates and the number of times that the e-mail is opened.Advertisement
- 2Each time your e-mail is opened, a program designed for email marketing can provide you with an open rate.Advertisement
- 3You can attach that number to the unique landing page you have set up and attached to the email.
- 4You will get the number of click through and this will help determine your ROI.
Areas of Focus
- 1When you are promoting an item in your email marketing campaign, it is a good idea to focus on a particular problem and then offer them a solution to the problem they are facing.Advertisement
- For example, you wouldn't want to approach someone with a product and the price, instead you want to explore why a person has acne and then offer solutions, including your product, that can help to reduce the appearance of acne. This builds trust and generates some interest from the potential customer.
- 2When working on your campaign, you want to ensure you are tracking the things that are part of a successful campaign.They will include:
- General boost in sales
- New leads being generated
- Repeat business increasing
- 3As soon as you have sent the initial message, the first thing you will want to focus on is the delivery rate of your message.For this, you will want to pay close attention to the number of deliverable messages. These are the messages that are reaching the inbox of your customers.
- 4The higher the percentage, the better, as this will show just how strong your e-mail list is.
- 5When it reaches them, you need to have a subject line with 25 characters or more that inspires them to click on open and ensure your open rates are high.
- 6The click through rate is also incredibly important for your ROI.
- 7Each time a person opens your e-mail, you want them to click on a link in your message.
- 8This is done by including content that is relevant and what a majority of your customers will be looking for.
- For example, if your specialty is in fine chocolates, you will have a better chance with an advertised chocolate sale rather than showcasing your non-chocolate goods.
- 9Keep in mind that for conversions to be successful, the website connected to the e-mail should have a landing page that continues the idea and product being advertised while giving you an idea of the revenue being generated.
- 10For more campaigns, you will find that in addition to your analytic software, using specific coupon codes and link tracking on the website will be useful.
- 11As you find out what works better than other options for your customers, you can cater your email marketing efforts to them and increase your ROI even more than it is right now.
Steps to Run the E-mail Campaign
- 1Research your information carefully.You need to ensure that the content you are sending doesn't violate the CAN-SPAM Act. It is important that you are only sending information to those who have signed up to receive content from you to avoid penalties. It is generally a good idea to focus on a double opt-in list to avoid problems.Advertisement
- 2Determine the goals of your campaign.Simply deciding to make money isn't enough. You need to determine if the goal is to boost traffic to your website, reduce the amount of orders that are being left without a purchase, or if you want to see how various promotions and coupons can help to boost sales.
- 3Create different content for different lists.Many people will sign up for different lists and when you have unique content to that list, they will find more value and increase your open rate. The more perceived value in each e-mail to a person, the more likely they will open it and use the promotion that is in it.
- 4Test the content to ensure that when a person receives it, they are getting precisely what you were looking for.This includes ensuring that images show up properly in an e-mail, you haven't used words that will trigger spam filters, there aren't empty spaces in the e-mail and a person can easily navigate through the email. The more work and effort you put into testing, the better the final result will be.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
What are some programs that track email open rates?
What can I use to do this and how do they work?
These are collectively called email marketing software. These software embed some pixels intended to track within the content of the email. However, if your email reader happen to prefer to turn off images within the emails that he receives, it will not be detected by the software as opened. Image viewing has to be enabled in order for the pixels to be able to serve their functions.
Most of the mass email programs like MailChimp has this function already enabled. Within the control panel, there will always be statistics that are intended for open rate. More expensive email programs will be able to give you a more detailed analysis. On the other hand, a simple one would more or less give you basic info on open rate.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Online Business & Transactions
Recent edits by: Lynn, Anonymous, Robbi