Maximize your workout Tabata style
Edited by Jerry Rivers, Eng, John Israel DeleÃ±a, Lynn and 3 others
There are many types of workouts, with many names. Professional athletes must have very specific workout routines, with special equipment designed for them to excel in their sport. Everyday people have specific workouts, too, for a variety of purposes. Some want a workout geared for losing weight and shaping up, while others want one for strengthening and building their body. With all the various workouts, special types of equipment and different names, it can be intimidating to someone interested in beginning an exercise program.
Perhaps you would like to avoid all this, and just want a basic, easy-to-follow regular workout that does not take a lot of your valuable time. That is exactly what you get with the Tabata workout. You benefit from this workout regimen, too, because you can gain strength, stamina, speed, flexibility and overall fitness from it. However, before you begin, I recommend that you have a checkup by your family doctor prior to starting any form of exercise routine.
- 1 What is the Tabata style workout?
- 2 What does Tabata involve?
- 3 Equipment needed
- 4 How to create your personal Tabata workout
- 5 Tabata workout samples for cardio conditioning or body strengthening
- 6 Tabata strengthen on other days with:
- 7 Vary your Tabata routine even more with intervals of exercises such as:
- 8 Tabata Six - Six New Tabata Workouts for Fast Fat Loss
- 9 Tips Tricks & Warnings
- 10 Questions and Answers
- 11 Comments
What is the Tabata style workout?
A Tabata workout is a program of high intensity interval training that was developed by Dr. Izumi Tabata, a research physiologist, after he found it was a more effective way for athletes to achieve fitness than moderate, steady-paced interval training. It will do this for you, too.
What does Tabata involve?
- Short bursts of intense exercise for 20 seconds
- Then 10 seconds of rest.
- Repeat the exercise circuit 8 times
The intense exercise for the 20 seconds can be the same exercise, or vary for each interval. There is a total of eight cycles for a full workout in only four minutes. Your body metabolism will improve significantly from regular Tabata workouts. That means your body will even burn fat better while at rest than when at rest from another form of workout plan.
- 1Workout Log.It is best if you keep an accurate dated log of your Tabata exercises, describing the exercise type for each interval, with any numbers of repetitions and weights involved. You will be gratified to see your progress.Advertisement
- 2Timer.You will need a timer for your intervals. If you have a computer near you during workouts, there are free downloadable large timers available if needed. If away from your computer, and you need a timer, download a Tabata app.Advertisement
- 3Strengthening equipment optional.If you have no access to a weight machine you can achieve resistance from:
- Resistance cord.
- Free Weights.
- Pullup bar. which you can install in a doorway.
- 4Cardio equipment (optional).You may want a:
- Stationary bike.
- Jump rope.
- 5Attire.Your Tabata attire must prioritize comfort and durability over making a fashion statement.
How to create your personal Tabata workout
To maximize your Tabata workout, you must decide your goal/s. For example, do you want to build and strengthen your body, or improve stamina for running, lose excess weight, or compete in a particular sport at a higher level? For overall fitness, you can have cardio and strength training exercises in the circuits. Since it is a high intensity interval training (HIIT) four-minute routine, you will find the time for it regularly, and progress rapidly. Professional athletes in many sports today are following a Tabata workout routine to enhance performance. So, even if you are into a competitive sport, it will benefit you, also.
Tabata workout samples for cardio conditioning or body strengthening
- 1Each type of exercise must be performed in concentrated 20 second intervals
- 2Then,10 seconds resting between.
- 3Do the circuit of these exercises 8 rounds.
For Tabata cardio:
- 1Jump rope with knees as high as possible.
- 3Burpees.In case you are wondering what is a burpee:
- Start by standing with feet shoulder width apart.
- Bend to a squat (like a frog), and put hands on the floor outside your feet.
- Then thrust feet out so that your body is in a straight push-up position like a plank. Keep your arms straight and abdomen tight.
- Then, like a frog, keep your hands in place while you jump your feet back next to your hands.
- End it by jumping straight up.
For Tabata body strengthening and shaping:
- 1Standard pushups at odd intervals.
- 2Standard squat thrusts at even intervals.
Tabata strengthen on other days with:
- 1Pull-ups at odd intervals
- 2Tuck jumps at even intervals.In case you are wondering what is a tuck jump:
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart.
- Jump and raise knees high.
- Land with feet shoulder width apart.
Vary your Tabata routine even more with intervals of exercises such as:
- 1Bicycle sprints.
- 2Hindu squats.
- 3Jumping lunges.
- 4Box jumps.
- 5Swimming (Use an open lane for this due to intervals).
- 6Handstand pushups.
Tabata Six - Six New Tabata Workouts for Fast Fat Loss
Remember: Before going into this workout, do a proper warm-up. You should also consult your physician before the workout and listen to your body. Keep in mind that the Tabata workout is an advanced form of training.
- 1Kettlebell Tabata Complex.This is great for your cardiovascular system. It works to the major muscle of the body. The 20 seconds of one arm or two arm swings and next one arm snatch and one arm clean. This exercise is not only for men; the interval training can also do by women. Do this routine:
- In one hand, hold the kettle.
- Bend your legs, and then lean forward.
- Lower the kettle until the kettle is in between your knees.
- Swing the kettle upward.
- Then let it fall back to the starting position.
- Repeat this for 20 seconds.
- 2Barbell Tabata Complex (four exercises).Performing barbell complex is an effective way to burn body fats. You need to complete all the required exercises before moving on to the next. Here are some basic guidelines you need to follow:
- To keep you safe, your complexes must flow all together in smooth transitions. If the barbell are up and down and all around, it will make your body be in pain. Complexes start from the bottom, on the floor, and go way up over head onto the back.
- If you are not interested in lifting your arms, use basic exercises that are very similar.
- If you want to push a heavier weight, you need to back down your sets.
- Here are other options of the Barbell Tabata Complex exercise:
- Barbell thrusters
- Front squats and back squats
- Front loaded reverse stepping lunges and back loaded reverse stepping lunges
- Romanian deadlifts
- Snatch grip RDL
- Single leg dead
- Pendley rows
- Push press
- Overhead press
- 3Barbell Tabata Complex (eight exercises).This is actually the same complex stated above. The main difference is that you will perform it twice. Below is an example of eight exercises for Barbell Tabata Complex:
- Push Ups
- Snatch balance
- Front squats
- Bent over Row
- Split jerks
- Power jerks
- Hang cleans
- Good mornings
- Hang cleans
- Romanian deadlifts
- 4Resistance Band Tabata (eight exercises).Here is a Tabata workout to do with a resistance band.
- Speed push. With one foot in front, and your elbows at 90 degrees, bend forward and keep your back straight as you extend the elbows.
- Speed pull. Stand on one foot with your knees bent and step backward. Pull the resistance band until your elbows are at 90 degrees.
- Squat row. Step back and squat, but do not exceed 90 degrees. Then bend your knees and stand up.
- Bent over row. Place the resistance band in between your legs. Bend over while keeping your back straight. Then, pull up, bend your elbows and continue lifting up.
- Torso twist (left and right). Stand up straight with your legs shoulder is width apart, knees are bent. Turn around while pivoting your feet around to face the other direction. Continue throughout the whole exercise.
- Punch. Push your left or right hand forward to punch and bend your left/right knee. Repeat on the other side.
- 5Fighter's Band Tabata (four exercises).This exercise develops the upper-body through conditioning, by throwing punches with both hands as fast as possible with your opponent. As you are pulling back your hand from the punch, then punch him with the other hand. Do this for 20 seconds.
- 6Body weight Tabata (four exercises).Once you have completed one exercise for five minutes, you should drink water before moving on to the next.
- Squat jump into pike jump. Face the ground and jump with your legs straight. Then push up into squat position and jump. Repeat.
- Side plank. With your left hand toward the ground and crunch your right knee to meet your right elbow. Then repeat this.
- Knee tuck, back row. Do a full crunch body, then extend back out. Roll to your left and do a back row. Lift your chest off the ground, then pull your elbows back. Repeat sequence.
- Side lunge. Squat down and extend your left leg in a side lunge. Bring the leg back in, land on your right leg and then repeat. You will do the same on your left leg.
- Up and down planks. From elbow plank position, lift one arm up into plank position, then go back down and so on. Alternate the arm.
- Skiers. Do a two-foot side to side jump, that is kind of like running in place. You will do this for 20 seconds.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Follow up with stretching as you cool down, as it will benefit your flexibility and general well-being.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Get eight hours sleep daily to stay healthy.
Questions and Answers
Can you give me an example of a varied tabata work out?
Each section in the VisiHow article above are for different types of Tabata exercises. To create a varied workout, combine one or two of each type of exercise to create a four-minute long workout.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Physical Activity & Diet
Recent edits by: Ephraim, Charmed, Lynn