Manually Block Website Without a Software
Edited by aianne b., Anonymous, Eng, Melsan and 3 others
Some websites are not safe for browsing, some can introduce viruses on our system plus a lot of pop ups that slows down the performance of your computer. Also, some are not children friendly because it contains adult material or either show too much violence. Sometimes parents are not always around to supervise their children. Plus software that provide services to block certain websites are costly. This tutorial will allow/teach you how to block websites even without using software or applications.
- 1Open My Computer, Click Windows, Open the folder system32, and locate the folder named "drivers", open that folder.Advertisement
- 2Locate the file named "Host", mouse right click it and select open with, select "Notepad" to open the file using notepad.If standard file extension assignment is still active, simply click the "host" file then a window will appear just select notepad.Advertisement
- 3Just beneath the line "127.0.0.1 localhost" you can add the site you want to block.Look at the example below
hit "Save" and that website will be no longer available.
- To unblock the websites you have blocked just delete the entry of the website in your "Host" file.
Alternate way of blocking a website
This alternate way of blocking a website depends to the DHCP server that you are using. To be exact, your wired or wireless router. Some routers have a feature to block certain websites to prohibit users to access it. This feature is pretty much like parental control in some way that can block either IP address or its domain name server.
To know a website's IP address. You need to ping it using your command prompt from a Windows computer and utilities on a Mac computer. See screenshot below for the example of knowing a website's IP address.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- If you want to add additional sites to be blocked, just hit your keyboard "Enter" key, and add 1 to 127.0.0.1.
for example: 127.0.0.1 localhost
- If you have websites blocked for any reason other than above manual blocked method, you need to unblock it using the blocking app that blocked it. i.e. if you have a firewall blocking a site, then you need to reset the firewall to unblock it, you cannot use the above unblock method to unblock it. Or if you have a parental lock on sites, you need to use the app that put the parental block to unblock it.
Questions and Answers
How to unblock website in computer?
How to unblock website in computer, e.g. Facebook is not available
Blocking some websites can be a useful tool for parents trying to control their children, and it can be useful for companies that want to restrict the access to websites to keep staff working hard. Sometimes people block a website on their computer, and they later don't know how to unblock it, or they find it very confusing.
By following these steps you can unblock Facebook and other blocked websites:
- 1Click on the start button.
- 2Select Run.
- 3Type ' C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc' in the 'Open bar'.
- 4Click on 'OK'.
- 5In the opened file you should see a file named 'Host'.
- 6Right Click on the 'Host'.
- 7Select 'Open With'.
- 8Click on 'Notepad'.
- 9Scroll down to the bottom of the text.
- 10Under "127.0.0.1 localhost", erase the IP and the address of the blocked website.For example directly under 127.0.0.1 localhost you will see 18.104.22.168 www.facebook.com. Therefore, to unblock Facebook, you should erase this entire line.
- 11In Notepad, go to File tab, select Save, and then close it.
- 12Open your browser.
- 13Now the blocked sites should be accessible to you.Advertisement
To block a website you can read the main article and follow the instructions. You can access to the main article by clicking on the title of this page. If you have any problems with these instructions, or if you have any additional questions, let us know in the Q&A section.
In our place we can't use Facebook so I want to be able to use it
Blocked website? In our place we can't use Facebook so I want to be able to use it!
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Websites
Recent edits by: bonabana, Alma, Melsan