Manage Your Data Usage, Enable Data Roaming on Samsung Galaxy S5
Edited by Daniel, Eng, Dougie, MsBarbs and 6 others
Nowadays, it is very common to all network carriers put a data limit to all of their subscribers according to the subscription that they are paying for. And going beyond to the data limit they have either pay the extra or no more internet data connection for you mobile phone which you may need to wait till the month ends before the next cycle. Some network carriers have daily limit and not monthly which will be the cycle is every 24 Hours.
Did you know that your Samsung Galaxy S5 has a feature for you to control or set your data limit for you not to exceed your Mobile data? The phone also has a feature to notify you whenever the data usage is getting close to your monthly limit. Also, when you go abroad data roaming service is being required for you to use your mobile internet for Email, Browsing and other data services.
Data roaming will also cost regular rates once this feature has been enabled. But if you do not want to use data service on your phone and use WiFi connection then you can simply disabled the Data Roaming on your phone. Here are the things you need to know on how to Set Data usage limit and to enable Roaming on Samsung Galaxy S5.
- 1 Manage Data Usage On Samsung Galaxy S5
- 2 Turn on Data Roaming On Samsung Galaxy S5
- 3 Tips
- 4 Questions and Answers
- 4.1 I want to turn ON my roaming on my S5?
- 4.2 My Galaxy S5 doesn't show a roaming symbol under more networks so I can't turn ON my international roaming, so what to do?
- 4.3 Hi, my phone is not recognizing the WiFi, says scanning but not finding a WiFi?
- 4.4 How do I turn on email to access mobile data. Mobile data is turned ON and so is data roaming but email is not accessing mobile data?
- 4.5 My mobile data icon is missing?
- 4.6 My phone doesn't show any apps using data?
- 4.7 I'm traveling in China and I am unable to send a text?
- 4.8 My network keeps showing R instead of 4G or H?
- 4.9 Why does my mobile data stay on when I have WiFi?
- 4.10 I seem to be using a lot of data. How can I avoid this issue?
- 5 Comments
Manage Data Usage On Samsung Galaxy S5
- 1On your phone, tap on the "Apps"Advertisement
- 4You will see there a portion that says "Data usage cycle" and tap the drop down then Tap the "Change cycle" from the options showing in the drop down.Now, you need to Change the Cycle date of the month then tap the set once you are done.
- 5Now, change the limit by simply tap the color red line on screen for you to change the limit.You need to set your preferred limit on the phone, this will be an MB based and not in GB so 1000 MB is equivalent to 1GB then tap the set once you are done changing it. Touch the warning in yellowish color as this will be the prompt you will see on the phone.
Once you are done settings the phone data usage limit, it will be applied automatically on your phone and once you are near the limit, it will automatically notify you about the data usage on your phone. If you want to change the value of the MB size then you can follow the same steps on how you did earlier.
Turn on Data Roaming On Samsung Galaxy S5
- 1On the phone home screen, tap on "Apps".From the applications, Tap the the app for your SettingsAdvertisement
- 3Once you have the More networks screen, tap on the option that says "More networks" then tap the "Data Roaming" to put a check mark on it then tap on the OK button on the pop up message.
- 4If you want to disable your mobile Data on the phone and so as with the Roaming, uncheck both feature to disable it.Advertisement
Make sure that you also have the roaming service for the specific number being enabled from your network carrier to avail the service on your phone. You may Text a code or by simply calling their customer service to get it enabled and what not.
For all other Samsung topics, please click Category:All About Samsung Galaxy S5
If you are outside your country for vacation or business purposes. You can simply enable this feature to use your own internet on phone, but if you are in a place that has free WiFi internet like hotel of business establishments, Restaurants and so on. Then connect to the WiFi instead to save up your data limit.
Questions and Answers
I want to turn ON my roaming on my S5?
My phone does not have a roaming button to hit
If you have a GSM version of the S5 you may have an app in your application list which should resemble a SIM card or have a picture of one. You should be able to find the roaming on/off switch there.
Also, while on the 'data usage' screen you can open an additional menu by pressing the three vertical dots. This should open a drop down menu which includes 'data roaming' among others.
My Galaxy S5 doesn't show a roaming symbol under more networks so I can't turn ON my international roaming, so what to do?
I have international plan but no service shown on my phone in Brazil
Your phone might need to be unlocked from the carrier to be used in Brazil. Brazil uses GSM while US carriers Verizon and Sprint use CDMA. The Galaxy S5 is a dual band meaning that it can be used on both frequencies but will need to be unlocked possibly to be used internationally.
Hi, my phone is not recognizing the WiFi, says scanning but not finding a WiFi?
I enabled the WiFi option, but a message scanning shows, I disabled the roaming option
Make sure you are not in Airplane Mode. This can mess up scanning for WiFi. Backup your phone and perform a hard reset if the WiFi refuses to connect. One thing to check first is that it is not tied to a specific WiFi such as your home WiFi yet works at Starbucks. That will tell you that your personal home router is the issue and not the phone. Usually resetting the router solves this problem.
How do I turn on email to access mobile data. Mobile data is turned ON and so is data roaming but email is not accessing mobile data?
Mobile data is turned ON and so is data roaming but email is not accessing mobile data. I was able to turn ON Facetime to do this but cannot find the correct sequence again.
Go back into Settings>Data Usage to disable Restrict Background Data. If this is enabled then it will stop the email syncing. Then go back into the Data Usage menu and select Auto Sync. If you still are not receiving emails then contact your carrier to request the WLAN, APN and PAP settings for your phone network.
My mobile data icon is missing?
My mobile data icon is missing and I can't browse without a WiFi connection
This is a bug that can be easily fixed by pressing the home button, going to the "Apps" menu. Then, tap "Galaxy Apps" and search for "QuickPanel Restore". Install it and run it. Tap on "RESTORE", and your phone will be able to get the mobile data icon back. To get the mobile data icon (if it is still missing), pull down the screen from the top to get the notification panel. Tap on "EDIT". Drag the "Mobile data" icon from the bottom row to the upper row and tap on "DONE".
My phone doesn't show any apps using data?
My phone doesn't show any apps using data
See if you are in Safe Mode. This would stop all apps from using Data. Then check to make sure you are not in airplane mode. Finally, put your phone into Recovery Mode and choose Wipe Cache then Clear Dalvik. This is not a hard reset but will remove anything that is preventing you from accessing your apps.
I'm traveling in China and I am unable to send a text?
I've been to China before but with my S4. Can't send a text on this trip.
Do you have an international plan with your cellphone service provider? Did you or your carrier unlock your device before you travelled? Can you send messages over WiFi using Google Hangouts or Skype? It is likely that you have either a locked phone currently stuck on CDMA or your plan has no intention coverage agreement with China.
My network keeps showing R instead of 4G or H?
Hi, I'm using Samsung Galaxy S4, I have 500MB data every months. My problem is, I cannot connect to internet, because on the network symbol, there is R instead of H or 4G. I know it's something to do with the setting, but I don't know where to find it. Please help
Check your Network Settings. Since this has not been resolved simply by turning off the phone, bring your S4 to your cellphone carriers physical storefront location. Request that they verify your Mobile Network Settings. If they are correct then request a replacement SIM card as this could also be your issue.
Why does my mobile data stay on when I have WiFi?
My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5. I have tried: Nothing I don't know what to do. I think it was caused by: No
Disable the SmartNetwork Switch. Then try to determine which app is accessing the data. Usual culprits are apps that auto back up like Google Photos or Google Plus. Those can be changed within their app settings to only backup when connected to WiFi.
If you are using SmartNetwork Switch then the phone will use mobile data to compensate for a weak or unstable WiFi connection.
I seem to be using a lot of data. How can I avoid this issue?
At home can I connect to local WiFi to avoid increasing data on my cellphone plan
Go into Settings and turn off Mobile Data completely. You can turn it back on if you need to access an app when not at home. Disabling this will stop any app from accessing data unless you are connected to WiFi.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : All About Samsung Galaxy S5
Recent edits by: Hana, VisiHow, Cody7