Make the Best Natural Essential Oil Vapor Rub
Edited by Nerissa Avisado, Eng
Essential oils are not really made of oil or oils. These are not made up of fatty acids that people normally associate with oils. Rather, natural essential oils are highly concentrated plant elements or substances that have medical and cosmetic benefits. There are also a lot of reasons why people use these oils for their health.
One of the reasons why natural essential oils are used by a lot of people is because they are high in medicinal properties such as anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial. Natural essential oils also smell so good, which makes them perfect ingredients to use for aromatherapy. These oils are also natural and safe. People make use of natural essential oils in a lot of ways, one of which is as a vapor rub.
Vapor rubs are salves that can provide relief when there is nasal congestion and cough. It is also used as a balm to soften thick skin or as a liniment for body massage. These homemade vapour rubs use natural essential oils as the main ingredient. Homemade vapor rubs are better since the ones being sold in the market today tend to lack the good properties that essential oils offer.
How to Make Basic Natural Essential Oil Vapor Rub
To make a basic salve, you only need coconut oil, beeswax, eucalyptus essential oil, and white camphor essential oil. You may add other essential oils in this basic recipe depending on the scent you like and if you are avoiding certain oils that are better avoided because of certain medical conditions (refer to Tips and Warnings).
- 1Start by melting beeswax with any of the preferred oils in a double boiler or pan. Decide which essential oil/s to use.Making the blend.Advertisement
- 2After that, add the essential oils. Make sure to dilute with safe carrier oil if the vapor rub is being especially made for a baby. Another way to dilute the vapour rub is by using only half the recommended amount of oils in this recipe.Diluting for safety.
- 3Stir the mixture and then pour it into a metal tins or some other containers. It is a good idea to use small containers so that they are easy to carry.Pack it in small tins.
- 4Let it harden. It will take about 10-15 minutes for this to happen. If it is too soft like an ointment, put it back to the pan, re-melt it, and add more beeswax. If it is too hard, add more of the essential oil/s you used.Finding the right consistency.
- 5These vapor rubs are best used when there are respiratory problems such as nasal congestion and coughing.Relief when you need it.
Modifying the Recipe
This is a basic essential oil vapour rub recipe that can be altered or modified to suit your personal need or preference. There are other recipes you can use. For instance, you can substitute ½ cup of olive or almond oil in the place of coconut oil. Here are a few popular recipes for you:
- 1Homemade Vapor Rub Recipe #1:Advertisement
- 1/2 cup olive oil, coconut oil, or almond oil.
- 2 tbsp. beeswax pastilles.
- 20 drops Peppermint Oil.
- 20 drops of Eucalyptus Oil.
- 10 drops Rosemary Oil.
- 10 drops cinnamon, or clove oil (optional)
- 2Homemade Vapor Rub Recipe #2:
- 1/4 cup of Vitamin E Oil
- 10-15 Menthol Essential Oil.
- 5-10 Tea Tree Oil
- 3Use only chamomile and lavender for babies under 2 months. Introduce eucalyptus of the smithii variety after 2 months and tea tree oil after 6 months.Homemade Vapor Rub Recipe #3 (For Babies):
- 2 tablespoons shea, cocoa or mango butter.
- 8 tbsp. coconut oil.
- 60 drops high quality, therapeutic grade essential oil
- 4Homemade Vapor Rub Recipe #4 (for nose, cheekbones and temples):
- 20 drops lemon.
- 20 drops rosemary.
- 20 drops eucalyptus.
- 5Homemade Vapor Rub Recipe #5 (For kids under 2):
- 4 tsp.beeswax or grass fed beef tallow.
- 8 tbsps. coconut oil.
- 30 drops high quality, therapeutic grade essential oil.
- 2 tbsps. shea, cocoa or mango butter.
- 10 drops eucalyptus (smithii variety).
- 10 drops tea tree.
- 5 drops chamomile.
- 5 drops lavender.
- 6Use any of the following blends:Homemade Vapor Rub Recipe #6 (For a chest/ and foot rub):
- 20 drops eucalyptus, 10 drops lavender, 10 drops tea tree, 10 drops rosemary, 10 drops lemon
- 20 drops each lemon, rosemary, and eucalyptus
- 20 drops each peppermint, rosemary, and eucalyptus
- 20 drops peppermint, 20 drops eucalyptus, 10 drops pine needle, and 10 drops basil
- 15 drops each rosemary, tea tree, lavender, and eucalyptus
- 7Determine your recipe by knowing what works for you.
Tips and Warnings
- 7It is best to avoid the following oils that can cause severe sun damage if you cannot avoid getting excessively exposed to sunlight: Tangerine, Orange, Bergamot, Cassia, Cinnamon Bark, Virginia Cedarwood, Cumin, Mandarine, Lemon, Angelica, Caraway, Grapefruit, Honeysuckle absolute, Laurel Leaf Abs., Lime and Rue(very strong), Patchouli (mild), Dill weed, Verbena (moderate), and Petitgrain (very mild.)Photosensitive oils.
- 8Do not include European and Asian Calamus , and Sassafras because these are carcinogenic oils. These are mostly banned for use in toiletries cosmetics in all of Europe.What to avoid at all cost.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
Homemade vapor rub rosemary eucalyptus tea tree lemon lavender peppermint camphor?
You can use this recipe to create your own vapor rub:
You will need the following:
- 4 tsp of grated beeswax
- 3 tbsp of cocoa, Shea or mango butter
- 7 tablespoons coconut oil
- drops of high quality oils
10 drops rosemary
20 drops eucalyptus
10 drops tea tree
10 drops lemon
- Melt beeswax and Shea/cocoa/mango butter in a boiler
- once it is melted. turn off the heat
- add coconut oil and other oils
- pour in clean glass jar with a tight lid
- store at room temperature
This home mad vapor rub can last a year.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make the Best Natural Essential Oil Vapor Rub. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 26, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_the_Best_Natural_Essential_Oil_Vapor_Rub
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make the Best Natural Essential Oil Vapor Rub." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_the_Best_Natural_Essential_Oil_Vapor_Rub Accessed 26 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make the Best Natural Essential Oil Vapor Rub." Accessed Mar 26, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_the_Best_Natural_Essential_Oil_Vapor_Rub.
Categories : Skin Care & Diseases
Recent edits by: Nerissa Avisado