Edited by Witz Taluban, Robbi, Lynn, Anonymous and 2 others
Impress your friends and loved ones, and get ready for an enticing guide tackling how to make a paper-mache in an inexpensive way.
- 1Take time and think of something you would want to create, then afterward, make a base or form for it.Use your imagination and be creative. Challenge yourself.Advertisement
- 2Prepare your bowl of paper-mache paste after your form is done.You will want your form beside you while you are making newspaper strips, rip the newspaper into strips ranging from one to two inches in width. Adjust the width according to how large your form is, unless you want to spend all day pasting the strips!Advertisement
- 3Carefully soak a strip into the bowl of paper-mache paste.While holding the other end with your fingers, you will want it to absorb the properties of the paste. Then delicately lift it and spread the remaining gush of paste toward the dry tip of the strip.
- 4Cover your base/form with the soaked strip.Execute this until you crowd and cover the form completely with soaked strips. Make sure the strips stick to the form by pressing the strips with your thumb, but press it with care.
- 5Allow your first layer of paper-mache to dry for about 24 hours.You can speed the process by positioning a fan in front of it, or speed it up more by using a blow dryer, but just make sure you use minimal heat.
- 6Repeat until you get for about three layers thick of paper-mache.This should be the optimum thickness, you can add more if you want.
- 7Paint and strut out your stuff by applying different colors with an acrylic paint.
- Apply white paint as the first coating to make the surface smooth. Afterward, you can apply your desired colors.
- Make sure your work area is clutter free, to obtain efficiency.
Things You'll Need
- Paper mache base/form
- A bowl of paper mache paste
- Used newspaper(s)
- Household or acrylic paint
- White paint
- Paint brushes(varying sizes)
Types of Papers that are Ideal for Paper-Mache
- 1Newspapers.These are very good as a filler for the inner part of your paper-mache. Since there's usually a good amount of newspapers available, you can be rather generous in using them. You can stuff your structure as much as you want, so that it becomes more sturdy.
- 2Directories.These are similar to newspapers in terms of volume that you may have. However, what's nicer with directories is that they normally use a much cleaner paper. If you prefer thinner papers and less carbon on your paper mache, this is ideal to use.
- 3Glossy magazines.This is ideal to use for the outer part of your paper-mache, especially if you want to create a different look in terms of the blend of colors and also in terms of overall texture of the output. What's also nice is that if you plain to apply paint or airbrush paint, it will stick better on glossy magazines and you will be able to blend it pretty well.
Benefits of Making Paper-Mache
- 1You get to recycle paper.Over a period of time, it is indeed very easy to accumulate different types of papers. Some of those may still be useful, such as reading materials and the like, but some should also be thrown away already because they do not serve any purpose anymore. If you have the ability and interest to make paper-mache, you will be able to make good use of those papers that you are not using anymore.
- 2You get to practice your creativity.Creating something out of random papers is not easy. Therefore, engaging in paper-mache will be able to tickle your creativity and think of different possibilities of output.
- 3You become resourceful.Whenever you have a design in mind, you become resourceful in terms of looking for the exact type of paper and color that you would need to be able to come up with your product. It is not easy to blend recycled papers and the moment you are able to make use of what you have, that proves the level of resourceful and creativity that you have.
- 4You come up with unique items.Because paper-mache is handmade, you are able to come up with something that may not be similar to anything anywhere else. You have your personal touch on the output.Advertisement
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Arts & Crafts
Recent edits by: Christine dela Cruz, Anonymous, Lynn