Make homemade baby wipes
Edited by Rich, Charmed, Eng
Homemade baby wipes are marginally economical but provide you the comfort of knowing the exact ingredients.
Making baby wipes at home is very easy. The task only requires a few ingredients and some elbow grease. Control over what chemicals your baby contacts is the advantage of making your own baby wipes. These wipes also make good cosmetic wipes and counter cleaners. They will stay fresh for a couple weeks and can be stored in the fridge for longer periods.
Tools, Ingredients and Instructions
- Bread or Cutting Knife
- Measuring cup
- 4 cups of water
- 2 Sealable containers
- 1 roll of paper towels
- 2 Tablespoons of Coconut or Baby oil
- 1 Tablespoon of the baby wash of your choice
- 1Wipe your counter clean before working to prevent crumbs from entering your wipes.Clean your work area.Advertisement
- 2Lay the paper towels horizontally on the counter. Normal rolls work best but you can make wipes with the extra large rolls. It just takes more ingredients.Prepare the paper towels.Advertisement
- 3Use a knife to cut the paper towels in half. This can be messy and difficult if you do not have a good knife. Stab through the cardboard in the middle and continue through the other side.Cut the towels.
- 4An intimidating number of tiny paper towel pieces will litter the counter from cutting. Clean them up to prevent them from getting all over the house.Clean area.
- 5Heat the water slightly over the stove or in the microwave. The oil and soap will disperse easier in warm water.Heat the water.
- 6Pour the water, oil, and baby wash into the measuring cup.Mix ingredients.
- 7Stir the mixture until the oil and soap have thoroughly mixed.Gently stir.
- 8Allow the mixture to reach room temperature.
- 9While waiting for the mixture to cool, take the cardboard roll out of each half of the paper towel. Simply pull the tube with your fingers from the center of each roll. Sometimes, this takes a bit of roll squishing to get started. Be careful not to pull the inside paper out with the cardboard.Remove cardboard tube.
- 10Put each half of the paper towel roll into the containers with the serrated, messy edge downward. The roll will stick up above the containers, unless you have very large containers, but that is not a problem. Do not worry!Populate containers.
- 11Pour two cups of the mixture directly on top of the paper towels and down into the container. Two cups per container.Pour the mixture.
- 12Squish the paper towels down with the lids of each container until the lids can be sealed properly. The paper towels will fit. Just keep squishing the lid down until the seal catches.Squeeze on the lids.
- 13Turn the containers upside down. This will allow the mixture to spread through the entire paper roll half.Flip the containers.
- 145 to 10 minutes after flipping the containers, turn the containers right side up.Upright the container.
- 15Remove the lid.
- 16Pull the first wipe up from the center of the paper towel roll.Prepare the first wipe.
- 17Close the container till needed.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Adjust the soap. If you feel the wipes are too slick remove some of the soap from the next batch.
- Are they too dry? This recipe may be dry compared to store-bought wipes. Use more oil to create a similar texture.
- Leave the center in. If you are having a hard time remove the tube then leave it in until the wipes are soaked. This makes it easier to remove out but wastes materials as the cardboard soaks up some of the mixture.
- As organic as you desire. The quality of the ingredients is entirely dependent on your choices.