Make and Decorate Your Stockings for Christmas
Edited by Nerissa Avisado, Eng, Lynn, Jonathan and 4 others
Many legends about Christmas stockings have been told. Like any great legend, there are many fascinating versions to each story that all sum up the significance of an over sized stocking for holding gifts and other Christmas goodies. This holiday season why not resist the urge to buy fabricated Christmas stockings and instead make your own.
- 1 Things You'll Need
- 2 Directions:
- 3 Using a Pattern to Make a Christmas Stocking
- 4 Additional Tips and Suggestions
- 5 Warnings
- 6 Decorative Style Ideas for Your Christmas Stocking
- 7 Decorate with Christmas Stockings Without a Chimney
- 8 Questions and Answers
- 8.1 What are some items that can be used to decorate stockings?
- 8.2 How can a stocking for Christmas be decorated using fabric paint?
- 8.3 How to make small Christmas stockings?
- 8.4 How to add names to fluffy Christmas stocking?
- 8.5 How to sew a poinsettia Christmas stocking?
- 8.6 How to make a Christmas stocking using wax paper?
- 9 Referencing this Article
- 10 Comments
Things You'll Need
- Felt sheets
- Masking tape
- Needle and thread
- Pins or tape
- Christmas Stocking Template (optional)
Using a Pattern to Make a Christmas Stocking
If you are uncomfortable sketching a stocking you can always use a pattern. Many stocking patterns can be found on the internet and printed out. The hardest part may be choosing a design pattern that you like.
Things You'll Need:
- Sheets of felt or other material
- Printed Christmas stocking pattern
- pins or tape
- needle and thread (or sewing machine)
Additional Tips and Suggestions
- Cut out paper letters, turn them backwards, and use spray no-sew fabric glue to hold them onto a piece of fabric while you cut them out. When finished you should have a perfect letter formed when you turn the letter right-side up.
- Use multiple sizes of the same font to give a shadow effect.
- Choose a color that is different from the color of the decorative items you'll add to the stocking.
- Use multicolored felt to create whatever designs and shapes required in the pattern.
- You can use cookie cutters to create shapes by tracing and cutting around the edges.
- Lay old newspaper sheets underneath the stocking to prevent staining the work surface with glue and ink.
- Glue sticks are quicker to dry than fabric glue, which can take 24 hours before the stocking can be used.
- Insert a piece of cardboard inside the stocking to prevent the layers from sticking together while the glue is drying.
- Don't use too much glue, as this can cause it to leak through the other side of the stocking, resulting in difficulty opening the inside.
- You can be more unique if you put your name on differently from the traditional way. Try to be more creative when writing the name across the front of the stocking.
- Make sure that you do not leave any sharp items like blades, knifes, scissors, needles and pins inside or attached to the stocking that could injure a child.
Decorative Style Ideas for Your Christmas Stocking
Plain Christmas stockings
Heavily and creatively-ornamented Christmas stockings hang almost everywhere in our homes, especially when there are kids around, but you don't have to put decorated Christmas stockings all around you. A plain stocking can still be as attractive as those which glitter and are full of adornments.
Poinsettia Christmas Stockings
If you can't find enough poinsettias, let this jolly stocking adorn the mantelpiece with flowers that symbolize Christmas.
Things You'll Need:
- White Christmas stocking
- Sheets of newsprint
- Poinsettia stamp
- Pine stamp
- Red and green fabric ink
- Ink pad, 2 pieces
- Gold glitter dimensional fabric paint
- Gold ribbon
- Fabric glue
- Brass bird trinket
- Double-sided transparent tape
- Small paintbrush
- Paper plate
Cheerful Christmas stocking
Add a modern twist to an otherwise plain-looking red Christmas stocking. Brighten up the season with this easy to make Christmas stocking fashioned from felt and embellished with mismatched buttons.
Things You'll Need:
- Felt, bright and dark red, dark blue, aqua, and white
- Embroidery floss, white and aqua
- Assorted buttons
- ¼ inch-wide (6.35 mm) red grosgrain ribbon
- 4To make the largest flower, lay white-felt petal shapes over the aqua felt.
- Sew with aqua embroidery floss. Cut out 2 1/4 -inch (5.72 cm) dark blue felt circle and a 1 3/4-inch (4.45 cm) circle using red felt.
- Indent the edges of the circles. Place a white-felt circle over the indented circles.
- Secure the petals to the center of the three-layer flowers by sewing with white embroidery floss.
- Sew a button of choice on top of the flower layers.
- Sew the flower on the top most edge of the stocking.
- Repeat the procedure to make smaller flowers. Use other color combinations and petal shapes to create different flower designs.
Decorate with Christmas Stockings Without a Chimney
Yes, Christmas stockings are often hung on chimneys, but even without a chimney, you can still find a good place to put them.
Places to hang stockings without a chimney
- Hang on a door handle.
- On a bed post.
- Make your own chimney out of colored paper.
- Leave the stockings beside or on the bed.
- Hang them on the Christmas tree.
- Leave each person a 'treasure map' to a hidden Christmas stocking.
Questions and Answers
What are some items that can be used to decorate stockings?
My children are going to decorate theirs this year. There are endless possibilities to what you can use as decorative ornaments for your Christmas stockings. These include (but are not limited to):
- Jelly beans
- Alphabet cutouts
- Sequins and beads
- Jingle bells
- Silk flowers
- Crochets or doilies
- Christmas figures like Santa Claus, snowmen, snowflakes, etc.
- Small toys
Decorating or making your own personalized Christmas stockings gives you complete control on how you want them to look like and gives you a feeling of pride and joy once you completed the project. Below are some commonly used items in decorating Christmas stockings:
- Ribbons. Ribbons are quite popular on Christmas stockings. Vibrant and light colored ribbons are more favorable than darker ribbons.
- Buttons. Buttons are also good items to add on a Christmas stockings.
- Felts. Colorful felt fabrics are one of the best commonly used items in decorating Christmas stockings. Colorful felt fabrics can be easily cut and designed into different forms depending on your creative imagination making Christmas stocking more cute and beautiful.
- Jean fabric or leather. If you have an old worn-out jean or worn-out leather bag or wallet, cut them into strips or shapes or animal forms and sew them to the Christmas stockings.
The items stated above are some of the most commonly used items in decorating Christmas stockings.
How can a stocking for Christmas be decorated using fabric paint?
I really don't want to mess up. Using fabric paint to decorate Christmas stockings is another way to personalize an iconic holiday symbol. It is important to start with plain stockings to serve as your blank slate in showing your design.
- First you need to make a draft of your design by outlining the shape of the stocking on a piece of blank paper.
- Draw your design, as well as the embellishments you plan to incorporate in the stockings. If you're satisfied with how it looks, you can start creating your stocking.
- Place a sheet of wax paper in the stocking to block the fabric paint from bleeding through to the other side. The paper will also prevent the two sides from sticking together.
- Using a marker, trace your stencil on the stocking.
- Start painting, using your draft pattern as a guide. Make changes as necessary.
- Allow the paint to dry in open air for a full 24 hours, especially if you plan to paint the other side as well. Make sure the paint is completely dry before hanging or adding embellishments to it.
Tips for you:
- Make sure to lay out old newspaper sheets on your work area to protect the surface.
- Wear old clothes or an apron before applying the paint.
- Some fabric paints need brush applicators, while others can be squeezed directly onto your stocking fabric. There are also varieties that can be sprayed.
- You may add glitter to the fabric paint while still wet to achieve a glitzier look.
Using a fabric paint in creating a Christmas stocking is unique and you can use your creativity with it. The materials that you will need to create a Christmas stocking using a fabric paint are:
- Plain stocking (it is better if the color of the stocking is white)
- Fabric paint (the fabric paint that you will using is the opposite color of the stocking that you will use)
- Paint brush (pointed brush or small brush is good for painting the stocking)
- Thick paper (it will be used to catch the excess of the fabric paint and it will be put in the stocking)
- Used papers or Old newspapers (it is where you are going to put the stocking while putting the fabric paint on it, so that it can protect the area from he fabric paint)
- Paper (it is where you are going to trace a Christmas symbol to be painted on the stocking)
- Pencil or Marker
- Apron or Old clothes (use it while you are painting the stockings)
Here are the steps to create a Christmas stocking using a fabric paint:
- 1st step: Using your paper and pencil, draw or trace any Christmas symbol on the paper using the pencil or marker.
- 2nd step: Using your scissors, cut the Christmas symbol on the paper.
- 3rd step: Using the cut Christmas symbol, put it on the plan stocking. Using your pencil, trace the Christmas symbol on the stocking and after it, remove the paper.
- 4th step: Put inside the stocking the thick paper, then using your paint brush and fabric paint, paint the drawing on the stocking. After you are done with that side, wait until the paint is dry so that you can start painting on the other side of the stocking.
- You may add a black fabric paint to become an outline of the Christmas symbols or drawing on the stockings.
- Add glitters on the fabric paint like if the fabric paint is green, you can add green glitters on it to make it look shiny.
- It is enjoyable to do it with your friends or family, so while doing this you can feel also the spirit of Christmas.
How to make small Christmas stockings?
They are really cute but how can I make them If you're able to make a large version of a Christmas stocking, you won't find it difficult to make the small ones, because all it takes is to follow the same basic procedure. You only need to reduce the size according to how small you want your stockings to be. The nice thing about this project is that it only requires few items, and you can very well make use of scrap or used materials. Here's how:
- Make the two sides of the stocking by tracing the pattern onto the fabric twice.
- Pin the two pieces together along the sides to be sewn.
- Cut a piece of ribbon or another fabric with different design longer than the opening at the top.
- Pin the ribbon to position it about ¼ inch from the top edge.
- Start sewing the two pieces and the ribbon together at ½ inch from the edge along the inner side. Leave the top open.
- Turn the stocking to hide the seam. Add your embellishments.
Small stockings make pretty Christmas tree ornaments. They are also ideal for holding small gifts and candies.
It is simple for you to create a small Christmas stocking if you already create a large Christmas stocking. All you need to do is to re-size or make the size of the stocking smaller. A small Christmas stocking can be a good decoration on the Christmas tree and it could be a bag of your Christmas treats or small gifts. So here is how you create a small Christmas stocking:
- The materials you will need are a two different colors of fabric (the fabric can be colored green, red and white because it suits the Christmas theme), you will also need a marker (pencil) to trace, scissors, needle, thread (the thread must be the same with the color of the fabric that you will use), 2 ribbon and any accessories or decoration (optional).
- The first thing to do is draw or trace a two small Christmas stocking on your fabric.
- After you are done drawing or tracing, cut it using the scissors.
- Combine the 2 and pin it. Then get your needle with thread and sew it.
- After you are attaching them. Get a different color of fabric to sew it at the top.
- After you sew a fabric at the top of the stocking, get the ribbon, attach it by sewing it in the middle of each side of the stocking.
- And lastly, you can put any designs on the stockings and done.
There is also another way to create a small Christmas stocking, if you have a small plain white/green/red socks then you can create a small Christmas stocking. You just need a small ribbon (the color of the ribbon can be red, gold, silver, white or green), glitters (the color of the glitters can be gold, silver, red or green), gems or any Christmas theme decoration, and glue. Using your glue, attach your small ribbon in the middle of each side of the socks, so two ribbons in one sock, then you can add decoration at the lower part of the sock then you have your small Christmas stocking in an easier way.
How to add names to fluffy Christmas stocking?
I tried writing it with a marker but it doesn't look right Here are some ways to add names to a fluffy Christmas stocking:
- The materials that you will use are your fluffy Christmas stocking, scissors, pencil, thread (If you are going to put the name on the dark color of the stocking the thread must be a light color and if you want to put the name on the light color of the stocking the thread must be a dark color), and a needle.
- First step is, get your Christmas stocking, using the pencil, draw or write the name on the stockings. (Draw or write where you want the name to be sewn.)
- Second step is, after you write the name, get your needle and thread, put the thread in the hole of the needle and sew the name on the fluffy Christmas stocking. (Follow the trace/drawing/writing of the name.)
- Third step is, after you sew lock the thread inside the Christmas stocking. Now you have a name on the fluffy Christmas stockings.
See more questions like this: Best way to put names on Christmas stockings
How to sew a poinsettia Christmas stocking?
You can use an ordinary Christmas stocking and then sew into the top a miniature poinsettia made of fabric. You can put it near the edge of the opening if it's a big one, or you can spread it a over the stocking if you are using small poinsettias.
A good option is to make the foot part of the stocking like the stem of a poinsettia and then the upper part, where your foot enters, would be designed like the petals of a poinsettia.
How to make a Christmas stocking using wax paper?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make and Decorate Your Stockings for Christmas. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 23, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_and_Decorate_Your_Stockings_for_Christmas
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make and Decorate Your Stockings for Christmas." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_and_Decorate_Your_Stockings_for_Christmas Accessed 23 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make and Decorate Your Stockings for Christmas." Accessed Jun 23, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_and_Decorate_Your_Stockings_for_Christmas.
Categories : Holidays & Traditions
Recent edits by: MsBarbs, Maria Sharon Ubando, Alma