Make a chic dress out of your boyfriend's old shirt
Edited by Karan Khanna, Eng, Lynn, Doug Collins and 2 others
Are you sometimes tired of repeatedly wearing the same attire? Do you wish to revamp your wardrobe without pocket crunches? Well, if you are absolutely bored with your same old wardrobe, then you can jolly well add a hint of innovation to it with some of the most intriguing dress ideas. For instance, you can always make your boyfriend's old and boring shirt into a chic and sexy dress. Yes! You've read right, and, the idea isn't impossible either. All you need here is an old shirt and a lot of patience. Still baffled about the proceedings? Well, the guidelines here are sure to assist you. Read on to learn more.
- 1Gather the things you will need.They are as follows:Advertisement
- 2An old long-sleeved shirt (preferably without pockets).However, don't get worked up if it has pockets. We will get rid of those soon.Advertisement
- A pair of scissors will turn out to be handy in this dress making expedition.
- A sewing machine is also an absolute necessity.
- A measuring tape.
- A chalk or dark pencil.
- A piece of old fabric.
- A seam ripper.
- A friend or helper.
- 3Nothing is absolutely complete without ample and proper planning.So, you have to initially plan out the type and pattern of dress you are planning to make. Take your measurements, and then mark them accordingly on the old piece of fabric with a dark pencil. After this, cut the fabric according to your chosen pattern and measurements accordingly. Use a scissor or seam ripper to cut out the fabric. However, it is always better to use the former while doing the job. Also, be patient and adept while cutting the entire thing. This will help you to get hold of the correct fabric shape in a jiffy.
- 4After completing the first shape, take your old shirt and get rid of its pockets (if any) with a seam ripper.Follow this by cutting the sleeves of the shirt carefully. After this get the fabric and mark its measurements on your shirt.
- 5You will then have to cut absolutely straight from the back portion of the shirt thereby making a line like structure between the arm-hole areas.Now, lay the shirt down flat on a table. Pull out the cut section so that you find a square flap like structure sticking away from the head hole of the shirt in the middle.
- 6Keeping the previous measurements in mind, use a chalk to mark about 6 cm below the collar of the shirt.This will give your dress a crew neck structure.
- 7You have already chalked out the fabric measurements on the shirt and have also added the crew neck structure to it.So, your entire dress pattern is ready now. Carefully cut the "V" structure (6 cm below the collar) in order to get the crew cut of your dress.
- 8After this, you will have to use the sewing machine to sew the raw and open edges.
- 9Put on the shirt, and if you are totally comfortable with the neckline, then ask your friend to tie two triangles behind your entire dress.You will now have the haltered portion of the dress.
- 10After using the sewing machine to get your dress sewn according to the previous measurement that you had incorporated with your old piece of fabric, get rid of the loose and extra fabric with the aid of a seam ripper.
- 11You shirt is now almost ready.Try it on to check whether it is fitting your body or not.
- 12If the shirt fits you (which is very much likely) sew a long ribbon around the middle of the dress in order to make it appear like a chic belt.Make sure the ribbon color complements the dress color.
- 13Your dress is now ready.Surprise your boyfriend on your next date with this cool and chic dress.Advertisement
- Try to make the measurements appropriately. Ask your friend to help you in this regard.
- Handle the scissors and seam ripper carefully.
- Cut out the fabric, the halter neck collar and the entire dress extremely patiently. Make sure that there's no blunder while making the cuts.
- If you don't have an old fabric then you can always make the direct measurements on the dress itself. However, with the fabric, your measurement and dress shape will be all the more accurate.
- Ensure that the shirt you have chosen is absolutely over-sized. The bigger it is, the more you can work on it.
- Do not get worked up if you cannot make the dress in a single go. The job is simple yet tricky, and it needs lots of patience. So, keep trying for the perfect fit.
Questions and Answers
How to make a dress out of your boyfriend's long sleeves?
One of the trending styles this year makes use of a boyfriend's shirt to style and make into a dress. This style gives a chic and classic look to women, while still giving an aura of being carefree and comfortable. So get a few of your boyfriend's shirts and sleeves. Here are some ways to make a dress out of them:
- Layers serve as an excellent way to hide excess fat, and at the same time appear chic and sexy.
- Create a new layer for your boyfriend's long sleeves, by putting it on top of a tube dress or a tank top. Make sure that the inside colors are neutral so it will match the shirt.
- Pick an oversized long-sleeved shirt, and make sure that the shirt is long enough to serve as a dress.
- Accentuate it with a nice pair of shoes or sandals.
- A belt is a chic accessory that adds figure and gives femininity to a dress. The belt will help accentuate your figure and help define the proportions amid the oversized long sleeves turned into a dress.
- Choose belts based on your body's assets. For example, making use of wide belts will serve to add more bulk. The wide horizontal line across the middle is not flattering for women who wish to look less fat. The more contrasting the belt ,is the wider it appears to be, and the shorter and chubbier you look with the dress. Opt for a narrow belt if you are short, as well as neutral colors of belts, or opt for the ones that are in the same color as your clothing. Just make sure it complements the color of the dress.
- Rolling the sleeves creates a totally new look for the one wearing the long sleeves. It adds personality to the dress and gives the long-sleeved-shirt-turned-dress a more special and personal touch to the overall look. There are many ways to roll up the sleeves, and these are as follows:
- Fold the cuffs up and over four times, push them up a bit above the elbow to give the look a short sleeve look.
- Create a three quarter (3/4) look with the sleeves. Simply fold the cuffs of the sleeves up and turn them over three times. This look is great and complementing to wear with blue jeans, it'll help give a neat and casual attire to the dress.
- If you don't want the seams of the shirt to appear on the outside, fold the cuffs of the sleeves under instead of over the sleeves; repeat it three times in order to re-create a short sleeves look without any seams being exposed on the outside.
- To achieve a unique look with the shirt-turned-dress, flip the cuffs of the unbuttoned sleeves one time only and leave the flipped cuff unbuttoned in order to give you the appearance of a sleeve with a winged effect. It's easy to achieve and at the same time creates a unique look to your outfit.
- Want to give the appearance of short sleeves while keeping the cuffs visible? Then do the button one flip roll. Simply turn the cuff up and over one time and then button the cuff on it's side and voila! Enjoy a shorter sleeved effect with the dress, without leaving the cuffs out of the picture.
One alternative you can do to add more variety for the long sleeved dress is pair it up with black leggings and great eye catching sandals or shoes. If you're conscious about overexposed legs, or if you just want to make the appearance a bit more formal, adding leggings is the way to make it a less casual look.
Use jewelry, accessories, shoes, hats and bags to create a definition and personality to go with your boyfriend's shirt/dress. Whatever will represent your style will work with the dress shirt. It's fun and easy to make and at the same time, and it's a personal way of saying you're taken. It's actually a sweet way to surprise your boyfriend or husband when you meet out for a date.
Don't you just love being a girl? ;)
It's very simple. You can make it a dress by simply adding some twist on it while wearing it. You could try to do a clean fold on the sleeve for about three times, and pinned all the buttons except the last button close to the neck, then put on some nice belt that compromise the color of the long sleeves.
Make sexy dress out of shirt?
There are many ways that you can actually make use of shirts. One example would be making it into a sexy sundress, without actually getting to stitch anything. All you'll really need is make use of your boyfriend, brother or guy friend's long-sleeved shirt. Make sure that the shirt is long enough so that you can wear it decently as a dress. Here's how:
- Wear the long-sleeved shirt around your body without wearing the sleeves.
- Button up the buttons up to a point where you are most comfortable with the covering, and create a heart peak up to your front.
- Hold on to the two sleeves and inter-cross them, one over the other.
- Up to the point that they connect, simply make a knot or tie the ends of the sleeves like a ribbon. You can have the option to tie it first in front, or cross it from the back to the front.
- Voila! You've got yourself a sexy tube sundress, all made out of the long-sleeved shirt. You also have the option to make a bow type of knot, or you can hype up your creativity by tying it other ways, like the rose knot. Do whatever will work best to secure the sleeves together and keep the shirt from falling off. Just make sure all the knots are held tightly together to secure the whole outfit and prevent you from any form of embarrassment.
What else can I do with my boyfriends old shirts?
You can make a dress out of it or cut it shorter and make a half top
Aside from making a chic dress out of your boyfriend's old shirts, you can make other things out of it. There are several crafts that you can make like:
- bracelets and necklaces
- bags and purses
- scarf and headband
- Rugs, placemats, and pot holders
- vests and skirts.
See more questions like this: How to make my boyfriend's shirt sexy
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Fashion
Recent edits by: Jmgf, Doug Collins, Lynn