Make a caterpillar craft with an empty egg carton
Edited by Godgirl77, Anonymous, Maureen D., Lynn and 3 others
Kids love to play with toys they create themselves. It often gives them more enjoyment knowing they created the toy themselves. Of course they also get more upset when it breaks. This craft is a lot of fun to make and play with.
- 1Take your egg carton and cut off the top.Next look at the row of holes in the carton where the eggs used to go. These holes are going to be the body of the caterpillar. In order to do that, you must separate the carton into long single rows of caterpillar bodies. Make sure you cut in rows instead of columns for a longer body. Cut between the egg holders all the way down the row until you have two (or three depending on the egg carton) individual rows of carton/caterpillar body.Advertisement
- 2Flip the carton upside down so that the egg holders form boxes.Next paint the body you desired colors. You may also choose to use marker instead as a neater medium. Choose which end of the caterpillar you want to be the face. The face should be on one of the narrow ends of the body. If you are using googly eyes, proceed to step three. If you are not using googly eyes proceed with the following: Draw(or paint)two circles for eyes. You may also add a nose and mouth if you wish. Then continue coloring the rest of the body. If you are painting be sure to let your caterpillar dry before continuing.Advertisement
- 3For those adding googly eyes:paint or draw on the rest of your caterpillar first. You may also want to draw or paint on a nose and mouth. Then, when the caterpillar is dry, you may dab some glue onto the googly eyes and place them on the narrow side of the first carton (where the mouth will also go). If you want to make a nose with cotton balls (better if in color), then you can glue it on as well.
- 4Take one long pipe cleaner and poke it through the top of the caterpillar's head for antennas.Feed the pipe cleaner through one hole and out the other. If the cardboard is stubborn, you might have to use scissors to poke the holes. You can leave them straight up, bend them at the top, or curl them. You can use construction paper instead if you like. For those using construction paper, cut out two long rectangular strips, bend the ends of the strips and glue them to the top of the caterpillar's head. Let it dry. Then take your scissors and run them along the construction paper creating tension in the same manner that one might curl a ribbon. You can also cut out two small circles and draw a smaller circle inside of the two circles for eyes. Glue these on the front of the face and let them dry.
What Else Can I Do With an Empty Carton?
Egg Carton Fish
Another craft idea to make out of egg cartons (that you might think of tossing into the trash bins) is to make fishes out of it. Gather the materials together before starting, to make this easier, faster and fun to make. Creating this craft together with your kids will be a good bonding time as well.
- 1Cut the egg cartons' cups individually.
- 2Take two pieces of cups and glue the open edges together to make a triangular shape.
- 3Take another piece of cup and stick it to one end of the triangular shape you made earlier, it now forms a fish.
- 4Paint the fish in any color you choose (use black paint for eyes and be creative in painting the body), using a lot of color do the trick.
- 5Cut foam shapes to make fish fins, and stick them on with glue on either side of the fish.
Egg Carton Pirate Ships
This craft is fun and very easy to create. It involves only a few materials and you are good to go.
- 1Start painting the cups with either brown or your own choice of color, inside and out.Set them aside.
- 2Make sails out of the bond paper.Large and small ones according to your preference.
- 3Break the toothpicks in half and set them aside.For the large sails, use the toothpicks as is.
- 4Glue two pieces of bond paper for small sails with the toothpick right in the middle.Do the same procedure for the bigger sails, but use the uncut toothpick for them. Let them dry up.
- 5Take the painted egg carton cups and line them in front of you.
- 6Roll a small portion of modeling clay or play dough ion your palm and flatten it on the cups
Bat Egg Cartons
This cool craft idea to make out of empty egg cartons can also be used as decoration for Halloween.
- 6Small white craft or bond paper
- 1Cut the egg cartons in three lines.
- 2Cut a You inverted shape in front and at the back, and leave the middle cup uncut.Or you can cut it up with any shape you like as it will be the bat's face.
- 3Brush the bat shaped egg carton with black paint and let it dry.
- 4Stick the optional wiggly eyes in the middle part of the bat, or cut eyes out of the white paper.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Kids participating in these craft should use safety scissors.
- You may want to pre-cut the egg cartons for very young children.
- Warning: Any children under the age of two or three may try to eat the crafts, and therefore it may not be suitable. I suggest you only try it with ages three and up. Supervision for anyone six and below is recommended.
- Minimize the mess by placing newspaper underneath your craft while creating it.
- If caterpillar legs are uneven, you can cut them.
- Use leftover egg cartons for paint.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Kids Crafts
Recent edits by: Deepthi Gottumukkala, Adrian Penaflor, Lynn