Make a Website
Edited by Shiza Ahmed, Eng, Lynn, Anonymous
Launching a brand new website is very easy, fun and simple. Below are the steps that need to be followed for launching a website:
Registration of Your Domain Name:
While registering your domain name you must be very careful. Read on for pointers on what you should keep in mind when choosing your domain name:
- 1It should be related to your site's content.Advertisement
- 2It has to be simple and easy to spell or pronounce.Advertisement
- 3It should be short.
- 4It should have the correct TLD extension like .org, .com, .net, etc.
You should register your domain name with the hosting provider. It is a lot easier this way, and you can likely get it added in with your service. The hosting provider which is recommended offers a FREE domain name for the lifetime of the site. You can purchase domain names from the following providers:
Get your web hosting account
There are many web hosting companies, some fine, some great, and some horrible. It is easy to weed out the fly-by-nights by following two basic rules:
- 1Avoid overly attractive "too-good-to-be-true" offers.
- 2Go for an established host.
Even with more reputable companies, you can have a web hosting account only for $12 a year. Hosting is simple, plain and inexpensive. Choosing the wrong host may kill your site before it's even launched. You can choose from the following.
WordPress is an absolutely free content management system which has been used by developers and bloggers for a lot of years. It enables you to make sites with ease and without any knowledge of HTML. It is highly customizable and a powerful tool to create professional looking sites. Tools like Themes enable you to choose free themes available on the net to help you in making your website look very professional, without spending money on web designers. This is also good for cool plugins which can make your life easy.
Configuring your site
You will be able to see your website by visiting http://www.yourdomain.com/. You will more than likely to see the default that is a "Hello World" message. To make changes, you will have to log into the configuration area, which can be accessed at http://www.yourwebsite.com/wp-admin . You will see a page known as the WordPress Dashboard. You must get yourself accustomed to the interface because you will be using it very often. Anything and everything you do to your site will be done from the WordPress Dashboard.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Before purchasing any domain, check on Go Daddy first to see if the domain name is available or not.
- Always search first about hosting services.
- Do research on your domain name before choosing one.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.