Make a Triple-Layer Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
Edited by Deepthi Gottumukkala, Eng, Lynn, Rob
Have you ever thought of making a luscious cake by just using simple ingredients like chocolate and pumpkin, which both the sweet-lovers and the the ones without a sweet tooth love? Well, follow these simple steps and you will find yourself and your guests smacking their lips and licking their finger tips by the end of the dessert.
- 1One 10 inch graham cracker crustAdvertisement
- 22 tablespoons unsalted butterAdvertisement
- 34 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 43 ounce of packaged cream cheese, softened
- 51/2 cups sugar
- 62 large eggs
- 71 cup pumpkin puree
- 81/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 91/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 101/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 111/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 121/4 teaspoon salt
- 131 cup sour cream
- 1Add chocolate.Partially melt butter.Advertisement
- 2Heat this for 5-7 minutes, or until completely melted, then whisk until smooth.
- 3Add cream cheese to a large bowl.
- 4Cream it using an electric mixer on medium speed, slowly adding in 1 1/4 cups sugar.
- 5Beat in the eggs.
- 6Blend in the pumpkin, vanilla, spices, and salt, and mix them until they are well blended.
- 7Pour just under half of the filling into a separate bowl and stir in the melted chocolate until well blended.
- 8Pour the chocolate filling into the pie shell shake to help the filling settle.
- 9Put the pie in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven and bake it for approximately 20 minutes.
- 10Transfer this to a rack and leave it to cool for 15 minutes.
- 11Gently add the plain pumpkin filling over the cooled chocolate layer and shake to settle.
- 12Place the pie in the oven, in such a way that the part that faced the back of the oven now faces the front.
- 13When done, the edges of the filling should be puffed, but should not have large cracks.Bake it for 35-40 minutes, until the pumpkin layer sets.
- 14Transfer pie to a wire rack and let it cool until the filling settles down and flattens, approximately 35-45 minutes.
- 15In a small saucepan, combine the sour cream and remaining 1/4 cup sugar over a very low heat, stirring constantly for two to four minutes.
- 16When the sour cream is fairly thin and slightly warmer, carefully pour it over the top of the pie.
- 17Immediately shake and tilt the pie to cover it with the topping.
- 18Place the pie on the rack and let it cool.
- 19Cover loosely with foil and refrigerate for at least four hours.Advertisement
- To enhance the breakdown between the layers, you can a layer of chopped walnuts or pecans over the chocolate. For best results, add the nuts right after taking the pie out of the oven. Press them in gently.