Make a Table Top Christmas Tree Advent Calender
Edited by Laurel Waddell, Eng, Lynn, MsBarbs
Having a small space doesn't mean you can't have a Christmas tree. Small spaces may require you re-think the size or purpose of your tree. Combining a Christmas tree with an advent calender for the table top is both economical and space saving.
Things You'll Need
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Three or four standard size needles
- x-acto knife
- Mid sized sheet of foam poster board
- Five sheets of dark green felt
- Three sheets of felt in your choice of colors
- One silver glitter foam sheet
- Several skeins of embroidery floss whose colors match the felt
- Tree - 11 by 8 inches (27.9 x 20.3 cm)
- Two sizes of circles - 1 1/4 inch (3.2 cm) diameter and 1 1/8 (3 cm) inch diameter
- Two sizes of rectangular ornament shapes - 1 3/4 by 3/4 inches (4.4 x 1.9 cm) and 2 by 1 1/8 inches (5 x 3 cm)
- Two sizes of rounded ornament shapes - 1 3/4 by 1 inches (4.4 x 2.5 cm) and 1 1/2 by 7/8 inches (3.8 x 2.2 cm)
- Star - 1 3/4 by 1 3/4 inches (4.4 x 4.4 cm)
- 24 tiny craft buttons whose colors match the felt and embroidery floss
- Measuring tape
- Straight edge or ruler
- Lined paper
- Velcro (you'll be using the loop side)
Steps to Make a Tabletop Christmas Tree Advent Calender
- 7Again, using the straight edge and x-acto knife, cut out and remove the 1/4th of an inch (6 mm) strip from the center of the TOP half of the foam poster board tree. The goal is to make a free standing tree by sliding the two poster board halves together.Measure from the top to the bottom, this time, the remaining foam poster board tree.
- 8Carefully line up a foam poster board tree over the felt tree. Using the foam poster board tree as a guide, gently score the felt tree with several strokes in one direction to remove the 1/4th of an inch (6 mm) strip of the center of the felt tree. Be careful not to pull on the felt as you cut. Don't be concerned if it doesn't cut completely through the felt. You can finish cutting along the score marks with your scissors.Lay down a felt tree on a cutting board.
- Repeat this process making sure you have two felt trees with the 1/4 strip cut out on the bottom and two with the strip cut out on the top.
- 11Be sure to line up the cut-out strips. Each foam board tree will have felt on both sides. Start by lining up the straight (cut-out) line on one side and continue to work your way around the edge. Run the line of glue along the edge of the felt on the board, and press the felt tree into place firmly where you have run the glue line. Once in a while add some glue to the center and press the felt into place.Hot glue the felt trees to the foam board trees.
How to Make the Ornaments for the Advent Calender:
You are now finished with your Table Top Christmas Tree Advent Calender. Add each numbered ornament by pressing it onto the felt tree as each day passes, to count down the days to Christmas.
- Keep your crafting area organized and tidy. Things go more smoothly when you are able to quickly locate the tool or craft item you need.
- When you are using alternating colors of floss, thread each color into its own needle.
- Try to stay as close to the pattern as possible because each piece must fit closely with the foam poster board tree you will be cutting.
- When working with felt, it might help to remember that felt can be pulled a little tight to increase its coverage, or compressed by pushing it into itself to make it smaller.
- Use the back of the x-acto knife blade to press the felt strip into the tight corners.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make a Table Top Christmas Tree Advent Calender. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_a_Table_Top_Christmas_Tree_Advent_Calender
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make a Table Top Christmas Tree Advent Calender." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_a_Table_Top_Christmas_Tree_Advent_Calender Accessed 24 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make a Table Top Christmas Tree Advent Calender." Accessed Jun 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_a_Table_Top_Christmas_Tree_Advent_Calender.