Make a Simple Natural Hair Loss Treatment at Home Using Coconut Milk As A Hair Rinse vs Lemon Juice and Warm Water vs Mashed Bananas and Greek Yogurt As A Hair Mask ... and 3 more
Edited by Donna, Eng
Whether your hair loss is genetic, hormonal or triggered by conditions such as anemia, chemotherapy or stress the following natural hair loss treatments are simple, effective and inexpensive.
Method 1: Using Coconut Milk As A Hair Rinse
Coconut milk contains essential fatty acids that nourish the scalp and also adds strength and shine to existing strands of hair. It is rich in iron, vitamin C and all of the B vitamins which helps feed the scalp. Coconut milk also contains zinc, which is a substance that blocks a sex hormone called DHT from causing baldness.
- 1Be sure to massage it through to the ends of the hair to add thickness and shine to existing strands.While in the shower, use the coconut milk as you would a rinse or conditioner after shampooing.Advertisement
- 2Do not use conditioner after unless you hair is very damaged and brittle.Rinse the coconut milk out.Advertisement
You can rinse your hair with coconut milk every day if you like.
Method 2: Using Lemon Juice and Warm Water
Lemon juice is very rich in Vitamin C, which when applied topically helps clarify and repair any damage to the scalp. Lemon juice is an astringent that helps tighten up the hair follicles so that the hair is rooted firmly and less likely to fall out. Lemons also contain zinc, which helps prevent hormonally caused hair loss by stopping the production of DHT
- 1You can use prepared lemon juice but fresh is best as the enzymes and vitamins that support hair growth and scalp health in the fruit will be more active.Squeeze three big lemons to extract the lemon juice.Advertisement
- 2Swirl it with a spoon to blend the water and the juice together.Mix the juice with one cup warm water.
- 3Do not condition your hair after you have rinsed it out.Rinse your hair with lemon juice instead of a conditioner when you are in the shower.
You can rinse your hair with lemon and warm water every day to prevent hair thinning and hair loss.
Method 3: Using Mashed Bananas and Greek Yogurt As A Hair Mask
The lactic acids in Greek yogurt help to clarify the scalp of impurities and dead skin flakes that might be slowing down hair. Bananas contain potassium, which is an alkaline agent that helps improve the skin of the scalp. It is also a vasodilator that helps open up hair follicles and clarify them so that they can grow hair that is wider in diameter and more pliant.
- 1You can use a blender but a fork works very well to accomplish this quickly. You want this to be a paste that is sticky enough to stay on your head. If it is too thin add more banana.Mash up a ripe banana with one cup of Greek yogurt in a bowl.Advertisement
- 2If you like, you can leave this mixture on for longer, if it will maintain its consistency.Pack the banana and yogurt mixture on head and put a cap over it and leave it on for an hour.
- 3It helps to use a drain with a strainer to catch any vegetable matter as you mix this homemade hair loss treatment out of your hair.Rinse the mixture out with a bit of shampoo and condition your hair afterwards as usual.
You can do this natural hair loss treatment as often as daily if you like.
Method 4: Using Beetroot Juice and Henna As A Hair Mask
Henna is not just used for coloring your hair. It is also used as a hair conditioner and strengthener. You can buy it in a neutral shade at drugstore or at Lush cosmetics. Beetroot juice is a rich source of many of the vitamins minerals that are needed to balance the scalp hormonally and grow thick hair, including: iron, zinc, magnesium, calcium, potassium, Vitamin A and all of the B vitamins.
- 1Use a chopping board that you do not mind staining red. Set aside for later.Chop up one two large beet roots and grate it finely.
- 2This should be about 6 ounces of henna.Chop two blocks of henna off of the unpackaged bar.
- 3Boil one cup of water in a pot and add the henna and grated beet root and stir until the mixture is the consistency of mud.
- 4Be sure to massage it into your hair follicles.Let the mixture cool and then apply it to your scalp.
- 5Keep in mind that the longer you leave it on the more you risk having your hair dyed a bit pink from the beetroot juice.Wrap hair in a towel or out on a plastic cap and leave it on for one hour to six hours.
- 6Shampoo and condition as usual.Rinse out the henna and beetroot juice mixture out of your hair.
You can do this natural hair loss treatment once every three weeks.
Method 5: Using Onion Juice As A Rinse
Onion juice contains sulfur, which is nourishing for the hair and scalp and helps it produce keratin. Keratin makes hair strong and healthy. It also reduces inflammation and brings dormant hair follicles back to life. Onions have an antibacterial and anti-fungal action that is very useful in cases of hair loss due to scalp fungus or an infection from a bug bite.
- 1You can also use a blender and strain the vegetable debris so that you can use the juice only.Use a juicer to extract the juice from two large onions.
- 2Be forewarned that this can be quite smelly. Rub the scalp vigorously to make sure the onion juice reaches your hair follicles.Apply the onion juice directly to the scalp and leave it on for thirty minutes or longer.
- 3Condition your hair also if it needs it and let it air dry.Rinse your hair thoroughly with cool water then shampoo it out.
You can do this hair loss treatment as often as once a day if you like.
Method 6: Using Safflower Oil and Cinnamon As A Mask
Both safflower oil and cinnamon stimulate the scalp by increasing circulation. Safflower oil is also a natural source of EFAs (essential fatty acids) that help keep the scalp healthy and moisturized and that help keep existing strands moisturized, flexible and shiny.
- 1You can warm the oil for about two seconds in the microwave or by running very hot water over it.Add one teaspoon of cinnamon to half of a cup of warmed safflower oil.
- 2Be sure to massage it to the tips of your hair as this oil smoothes the hair cuticle and makes it less likely to develop split ends. Be sure to massage the hair follicles, which benefit from the vasodilating effects of both the oil and the cinnamon.Apply the oil to your hair while in the shower and massage it in thoroughly.
- 3Do not condition your hair after this treatment unless it is very brittle and absolutely needs it.Rinse your hair out with a bit of shampoo until clean.
Tips and Tricks
- 1If your hair is white with a porous texture, beetroot juice may dye it temporarily pink, in which case you can try using golden beetroot instead.
- 2If you want to dye your hair red or brown, you can use the beetroot juice with colored henna in the same fashion.
- 3Be sure to buy real cinnamon, instead of cassia, which is often labeled as cinnamon; be sure to read the ingredient labels before you buy
- 4You can also use coconut water as a hair rinse, but it may not be as potent as using the coconut milk.Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make a Simple Natural Hair Loss Treatment at Home. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_a_Simple_Natural_Hair_Loss_Treatment_at_Home
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make a Simple Natural Hair Loss Treatment at Home." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_a_Simple_Natural_Hair_Loss_Treatment_at_Home Accessed 24 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make a Simple Natural Hair Loss Treatment at Home." Accessed Apr 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_a_Simple_Natural_Hair_Loss_Treatment_at_Home.