Make a Shepherd's Pie
Edited by Robbi, Lynn, Eng
Everyone should know how to cook at least one easy to make and cheap to cook healthy main dish. You and your kids will enjoy making a great Shepherd's Pie. The ingredients are interchangeable. If you do not like carrots or should not have salt, exchange that ingredient for something else or leave it out altogether.
This is a wonderful way to use up leftovers, which is how the idea of Shepherd's Pie got started in the first place. Why not try this recipe for dinner tonight? You can serve soup, salad, fresh fruit or cornbread with the meal.
Save time by first setting out what you need for the recipe. Put things in the order that they are going to be used. This makes it easier to prepare and helps you avoid making mistakes in case you are interrupted during the preparation stage. Remind the kids to always wash their hands before preparing any kind of food.
- 12 cups cooked beef, cut into bite-sized chunksAdvertisement
- 22 cups mashed potatoesAdvertisement
- 31/2 onion, peeled and diced
- 41 cup corn, canned or frozen
- 51/2 cup frozen green peas
- 61/2 cup diced or sliced frozen carrots
- 71 1/2 cups beef gravy
- 81 teaspoon salt
- 91/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 101 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 111 cup shredded cheese (optional) for layering in between layers.
Making a Shepherd's Pie Step by Step
- 1Lightly oil the inside cups of a muffin or cupcake pan with 6 cups.Advertisement
- 2Place the oven rack in the center of the oven.
- 3Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 4Set 1/2 cup of the potatoes aside.Mix the parsley flakes in with the mashed potatoes.
- 5In a medium bowl, mix the onion, corn, green peas and carrots together.
- 6Press the mashed potatoes against the bottom and sides of each muffin cup to make a crust.
- 7Put a tablespoon of gravy in the bottom of each cup.
- 8Mix the remaining gravy, salt, pepper, and chunks of beef with the vegetables.
- 9Evenly divide the beef-vegetable mix into the muffin cups.
- 10Shape a mashed potato topping with your hands, using the same method as you do to make a hamburger patty. Put a topping on each of the shepherd's pie servings.Take the 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes that you set aside.
- 11Remove and serve.Bake for 30 minutes.Advertisement
Individual Shepherd's Pies
- This recipe will soon become a family favorite because the individual servings are so much fun to make. If someone is especially hungry or company is coming for dinner, double the recipe and use a muffin or cupcake pan.
- The cooking time remains the same.
- Do not let young children use sharp knives or remove hot pans from the oven by themselves.
- Put two hot pads near the oven and show older children how to use them when removing the pan from the oven.
- Set the pan in a safe place until you are ready to serve the Shepherd's Pie.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make a Shepherd's Pie. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 29, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_a_Shepherd%27s_Pie
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make a Shepherd's Pie." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_a_Shepherd%27s_Pie Accessed 29 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make a Shepherd's Pie." Accessed May 29, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_a_Shepherd%27s_Pie.