Make a Pine Cone Wreath for Christmas
Edited by Robbi, Graeme, Lynn, MsBarbs
Pine cone wreaths can be a lot of fun to make. Even the kids can get involved in this craft because it requires very little aside from creativity and a few small additions. Pine cones are readily available nearly anywhere. Ask a neighbor or friend to allow you to pick them up out of the yard. However, if there are no pine cones where you live you can order them off the internet or you may be able to find them in a craft store.
The project is surprisingly simple, and it only requires materials that you can easily find around the house or purchase at a nearby store.
Things You'll Need
- Wire Cutters
- Floral Wire (22 gauge)
- Pine cones (around 100 of varying sizes)
- Artificial berries, dried flowers or nuts for decoration
- Hot glue gun
- 14-24 inch (35.5-60 cm) double-wire wreath form OR a Styrofoam wreath form
- Leather work gloves
Steps to Create a Pine Cone Wreath
- 1Take the14-24 inch (35.5-60 cm) double-wire wreath form or a Styrofoam wreath form and reinforce it using the 22-gauge wire.Advertisement
- Make a zig zag pattern with the wire by winding through the wreath form.
- Wrap it around each bracket twice.
- If you really want it to be secure, you can even tie the wire into a knot.
- This may help ensure that the wreath will keep its shape, even if you put a lot of weight on it.
- Make sure the leather gloves you use are sufficiently thick to keep from getting pricked by wire or pine cones through the material.
Additional Tips and Suggestions
- Use some contrasting flowers and you can change bows for different seasons of the year.
- Another approach is to use wet pine cones. You'll need rubber gloves if you do it this way, but you can soak the pine cones ahead of time, which will make them close. Then you can push them into the wire wreath form easily. Use three deep layers of cones.
- Use different sizes and shapes to keep the variety interesting and eye-catching
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make a Pine Cone Wreath for Christmas. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_a_Pine_Cone_Wreath_for_Christmas
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make a Pine Cone Wreath for Christmas." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_a_Pine_Cone_Wreath_for_Christmas Accessed 24 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make a Pine Cone Wreath for Christmas." Accessed Apr 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_a_Pine_Cone_Wreath_for_Christmas.