Make a Home Remedy for Regrowing Hair with Citronella Grass
Edited by Nerissa Avisado, Robbi, Eng, Lynn and 5 others
Losing hair is a problem that many people live with today. Because it's become such a widespread concern, various hair growth products have made their appearance on the market. Millions of dollars are spent annually by people who want to recover some of the hair they've lost. Some apply expensive lotions to stimulate follicles, some have follicles transplanted to fill in their bald spots, and some undergo expensive hair extension procedures. If you share the same concern and are alarmed that your hair is thinning, you have probably been tempted to resort to one or more of these costly interventions. However, if you want to try something more natural and budget friendly, read on and learn how to make a home remedy for re-growing hair with citronella grass.
- 1 Interesting Facts about Citronella Grass
- 2 Setting the Stage for Preparing your Remedy
- 3 How to Make Citronella Hair Grower
- 4 How to Apply the Hair Grower
- 5 How to Cultivate Citronella
- 6 Tips, Tricks, and Warnings
- 7 Questions and Answers
- 8 Referencing this Article
- 9 Comments
Interesting Facts about Citronella Grass
Citronella is a fascinating plant with a long history of practical use. It belongs to the Cymbopogon family of oil-producing grasses. It's easy to grow in containers, and its clean lines actually make it an aesthetic ornamental grass for Zen gardens. It is a tall perennial grass that grows in clumps to a height of about 4 feet in warm climates. Its leaves are sharp-edged and often have a tinge of magenta at the base.
If your nursery is unable to tell you, without a doubt which clump of grass is citronella and which is lemongrass, find out for yourself. Tear off a small piece, crush it, and smell it. If all you can smell is lemon, then that it's most likely lemon grass. The citronella grass has a subtle but unmistakably soapy scent.
Some facts you should know:
- 1The scientific name for citronella grass is Cymbopogon nardus.Advertisement
- 2Citronella grass is not a geranium; it is a member of the grass family.Advertisement
- 3Actually, citronella belongs to a genus of grass plants that includes at least 45 species.A lot of people tend to think there is only one type of citronella.
- 4Citronella grass is a perennial grass that belongs to the same family as lemon grass, so you have to be careful not to confuse the two.
- 5Lemongrass is a staple flavor for Thai food and other Asian dishes, while citronella is not.The more popular lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuous), is used mainly for seasoning food.
- 6Citronella is used mainly for that clean lemony scent that soaps and shampoos have.
- 7The Cymbopogon genus also includes; lemongrass, fever grass, hierba Luisa, barbed wire grass, silky heads, tanglad, citronella grass, cha de Dartigalongue, or gavati cha ha.
The Use of Citronella through the Ages
For the last five decades or so, citronella has become a popular ingredient in many cosmetic products and non-toxic insect repellents. While its practical use is definitely on the rise, citronella has in fact been part of the traditional healing cupboards of many countries. Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, China, Indonesia, Africa, Vietnam, Thailand, and the Philippines all grow and use citronella for a variety of purposes. Chinese medical records have accounts of the use of citronella as a remedy for a host of conditions, including inflammation and fungal infections.
Setting the Stage for Preparing your Remedy
Preparing your citronella hair grower is not at all difficult, however, it can be quite painstaking if you want to stick to the traditional method of using it, as you can only prepare a four-day supply. So far, no studies have been done on procedures to lengthen the shelf life of citronella as a remedy for thinning hair, but if this is something you really want, the time will be well-spent.
Before You Start
There are a few things you need to bear in mind when you make your remedy.
- 1You need a live plant to prepare your hair grower.Advertisement
- 2Because you are not going to subject it to any heat that might disinfect it, you have to make sure that all the things you use are extremely clean and dry.
- 3You need to wash each leaf carefully to make sure it has no dirt or soil stuck to it, and then air dry it.
How to Make Citronella Hair Grower
You can choose to make your hair grower the old-fashioned way, or you can get a little modern help from your blender.
- 10-12 leaves
- 1 tablespoon water
- Mortar and pestle
- Fine gauze (cheese cloth)
- Small funnel
- Clean, dry bottle with cap
Old Fashioned Procedure
- 1Simply pick about 10 long leaves, cutting the leaf from the base.Do not uproot the plant just to gather the leaves.Advertisement
- 2Wash the leaves and dry them carefully.
- 3Make a loose knot with the leaves, and then another, and then another.
- 4Using a mortar and pestle, begin to pound the leaves until they are soft and broken into small pieces.
- 5Add the water slowly and grind the leaves until the sap has been extracted from them.
- 6Push a square of gauze into the funnel to strain the liquid meticulously
- 7Put the tip of the funnel into the clean bottle.
- 8Pour the extracted liquid into a funnel lined with gauze.
- 9Put all the mashed leaves into the funnel.
- 10When the liquid has finished dripping, wrap the gauze around the pulverized leaves and squeeze to extract all sap possible.
- 11(the warmest part of your refrigerator will do)Store in a cool, dry place.
Procedure with a Small Blender
- 1Do not uproot the plant.
- 2Simply pick about 12 long leaves, cutting the leaf from the base.
- 3Wash the leaves and dry them carefully.
- 4Make a loose knot with the leaves, and then another, and then another.Cut the leaves into half-inch lengths.
- 5Process for three minutes or until juice can be extracted easily.Feed leaves and water into the blender.
- 6Pour the extracted liquid into a funnel lined with gauze.
- 7Put all the mashed leaves in the gauze and squeeze to extract all sap possible.
- 8(the warmest part of your refrigerator will do)Store in a cool, dry place.
How to Apply the Hair Grower
You won't have a lot of this hair grower after the procedure you used, so you must use what you have sparingly.
- 1Make sure your scalp is clean, so the oil doesn't have to get through your own natural oils.
- 2Take a small wad of cotton and wet it with the extract.
- 3Apply to the area where hair has thinned.
- 4Do not wash off for at least six hours.
- 5Leaving it on overnight will work well, but you might want to consider wearing a hat to bed.
How to Cultivate Citronella
It's not always easy to find citronella grass in nurseries. When you find a plant, make the most of that opportunity to grow your own supply. The good thing about making this extract is you don't need to kill the plant to do it. You just have to cut as far down the base as possible and leave the rest of the clump – roots and all – in peace.
- 1Pick large containers with good drainage.
- 2Fill it with sandy loam.
- 3Insert the plant into a hole the size of its roots.
- 4Place the container in a shady area.
- 5Cut the leaves to about six inches from the base and trim off dead roots and separate clumps into groups of three or so.Transplant to your garden.
- 6Bury the roots and an extra two inches above the roots into the soil. Water the plant and press the soil firmly around the clump.Plant each clump separately.
- 7The remaining leaves may dry up but that is to be expected.Make sure the soil is well watered but not too wet.
- 8You can then transfer the plant to a sunnier location in your garden.Your plants are established when you see signs of new growth.
Tips, Tricks, and Warnings
- You can begin to harvest leaves from your plant when there is a healthy growth of new leaves.
- The best time to harvest is in the morning, when the leaves have the most moisture, as the sun burns off essential oils.
- Do not let the extract get into your eyes.
- Citronella will stain, so use dark pillowcases or wear a nightcap.
Questions and Answers
What does citronella leaf do for hair?
Citronella, which is similar, but not the same as "lemongrass", is commonly used for hair care because of its various benefits to hair. Some people do use lemon grass to restore hair, but for this article, we will focus on citronella. Some of the benefits of citronella leaf to hair are as follows:
- 1Citronella oil extracted from its leaves has antibacterial, insecticidal and antifungal properties which are very effective in managing dandruff, scalp infections, and hair parasites.
- 2Has rubefacient properties which means it has the ability to improve blood circulation in the scalp by dilating the blood vessels which nourishes the hair follicles, promoting hair growth.
- 3Contains geraniol, citronellal and citronellol compounds which (used mostly in perfumes) deodorizes and gives the hair a lemon scent.
- 4Citronella leaves, in general, have various beneficial effects on hair making it one of the most valuable herbal ingredients in home remedies for hair treatment and care.Advertisement
Does grass grower work on hair?
No, it does not. Grass growers have totally different components and it can be harmful to your hair if you apply it.
On the other hand, there are actually some types of grass (herbs) that can work for the hair, such as citronella grass. You just need to take the extract from them and apply to your scalp.
Citronella grass for hair? Does it really work?
Citronella grass can work but you have to use it constantly to be successful. Also, keep in mind that your diet also plays an important role in the health of your hair. Even when you apply citronella regularly, if you don't modify your diet and make healthier choices, you are more likely not going to see much of a significant improvement.
Also, you have to make sure that you drink enough water each day. Water alone can make a huge difference in the quality of your hair.
How to get back shiny, thick and hair that isn't dry?
My hair is dry, brittle on ends and have hair-loss, which made my hair thin. I rebonded it twice which is the cause of this problem.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
How to re-grow hair on a bald head?
How to induce hair growth on a bald head
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make a Home Remedy for Regrowing Hair with Citronella Grass. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 28, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_a_Home_Remedy_for_Regrowing_Hair_with_Citronella_Grass
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make a Home Remedy for Regrowing Hair with Citronella Grass." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_a_Home_Remedy_for_Regrowing_Hair_with_Citronella_Grass Accessed 28 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make a Home Remedy for Regrowing Hair with Citronella Grass." Accessed Apr 28, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_a_Home_Remedy_for_Regrowing_Hair_with_Citronella_Grass.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Nuance, Rasna choudhary, Dougie