Make a Healthy Filipino Style Fish Ball
Edited by Mary Joy, Rebecca M., Liezel, Doug Collins and 17 others
The name says it all. Traditionally a Filipino street food, Fish balls are popular because they are cheap, portable and yummy. Usually presented on a bamboo skewer, they can also be served as take-out in a plastic bowl or served at home on your finest China. Filipino stands have their own unique dipping sauce to complement the taste of fish balls. You can make your own sweet, savory, sweet and sour or vinegar dipping sauce.
Try this easy-to-prepare Filipino Fish Ball recipe:
- 1 Ingredients
- 2 Steps
- 3 Tips
- 4 What Makes Homemade Fish Balls Better Than the Original Ones on the Street
- 5 Questions and Answers
- 5.1 I wanted to learn how to make Filipino street fish balls.
- 5.2 My problem is I don't know how to make healthy fish balls. I want to learn about it.
- 5.3 What's the difference between cassava flour and regular flour?
- 5.4 How can I make fish balls using simple ingredients?
- 5.5 Can fish meat be replaced with fish powder?
- 5.6 What are the procedures for making fish balls, and what are their operations?
- 5.7 How to make an easy fish ball sauce?
- 5.8 Raw fish or steamed one is necessary?
- 5.9 What can we get with your fish-ball product?
- 5.10 Are fish balls made of the meat of a janitor fish?
- 5.11 Can I make a fishball that does not contains a carrots,potatoes and galunggong fish or white fish fillet?
- 6 Comments
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 kg galunggong fish (round scad fish) - or any white fish fillet
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 3/4 cup grated potatoes
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- 1Blend the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.Advertisement
- 2Add the filleted fish meat, as well as the potatoes and carrots to the dry ingredients until well combined.Advertisement
- 3Pour in the soy sauce while stirring the mixture at the same time to ensure the soy sauce is equally distributed.
- 4Whisk the eggs and add them to the mixture.Eggs help to bind the ingredients to each other.
- 5To form it into balls, scoop a tablespoon of the mixture - you may use your hands to roll it into balls or use two tablespoons to form them Grease or flour your hands so the mixture doesn't stick to your hands.
- 6Heat the frying pan.
- 7Pour enough oil into the pan to cover the fish balls and wait until the oil is boiling.
- 8Deep-fry the fish balls for 3-5 minutes or until they have turned golden brown.To ensure uniform color, only fry a few at a time. This will also keep the oil hot.
- 9Serve with your favorite dipping sauce
- It is better if you use your hands to mix and form it into balls.
- Make sure the flour is in correct proportion to the fish meat. If you put in too much flour, it will turn out tough.
- Dip a chopstick, or the handle of a wooden spoon into the oil, when the oil bubbles fast around the handle it means that the oil is hot enough to fry. Each time you add another batch of the fish balls check to make sure the oil is hot enough
What Makes Homemade Fish Balls Better Than the Original Ones on the Street
Although fish balls have been known as a favorite street food in the Philippines, it is still better to make your own at home. Here are some of the top reasons why you should just spend time to do it:
- 1Ingredients.There is no guarantee the ones you buy on the street are made with real fish meat, especially those sold at a very cheap price. In many cases, they are just flour that's been flavoured with fish essence, that's why it tastes like fish. If you eat it often, you are literally filling yourself up with a lot of processed foods, which are not healthy and may cause health issues later on. Also, there are cases when real fish meat is used, but not quality fish meat. In most cases, scrap meat will probably be used so you are never sure if it's still fresh or ideal to eat.
- 2Food Safety.One of the most common issues with the typical fish balls is that they are not very sanitary because of the overall preparation style. The utensils are not known to be properly clean, as they are prepared while exposed to the street.
- 3Options.You do not have to stick with the typical street food ingredients, instead experiment a bit if you are making fish balls at home. You can add any vegetables you prefer to the meat and then use a different breading if you want to create a more flavorful twist, maybe something like ground almonds instead of flour. Also, you can concoct your own sauce based on your own preferences.
- 4You are sure that you are eating something fresh.The problem with most fish balls in the market is that you are not really sure when they were actually prepared. They are usually frozen , a therefore contain a lot of preservatives.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
I wanted to learn how to make Filipino street fish balls.
I made some this morning but I just cannot get it right. Thanks.
The recipe above is for Filipino fish balls, which are often found on the street; this recipe is the same as a "street" fish ball recipe. Follow the simple directions above and you'll be able to make healthy and delicious fish balls with ease.
My problem is I don't know how to make healthy fish balls. I want to learn about it.
I want to learn how to make fish balls because I've never made them before. I really wish to know how to make them. Thank you.
Just follow the instructions above and you can make your own healthy and yummy fish balls.
What's the difference between cassava flour and regular flour?
Would like to ask if we can use cassava flour instead of the regular flour?
Yes you can use cassava flour instead of regular flour and that would be tasty and yummy. Cassava flour is gluten free and has a slight sour taste so you may want to add a bit of honey or sugar to the recipe above.
How can I make fish balls using simple ingredients?
I want to make fish balls but I want to use simple ingredients. Will it be cheaper to make the, than to buy them at the grocery store?
Yes you can make fish balls using simple ingredients, just replace the ingredients listed above with ones that are more affordable.
Can fish meat be replaced with fish powder?
Because if I use fresh fish it's expensive, I need it to be a little less expenses
Yes! You can replace fish meat with fish powder so that it is more affordable. You may also purchase frozen fish and thaw it out for the recipe.
What are the procedures for making fish balls, and what are their operations?
What are the procedures for making in fish balls, and what are their operations?
The procedures for making fish balls are listed above. Homemade fish balls are a great main dish to serve your family, because they are economical, customizable and taste great!
How to make an easy fish ball sauce?
I'm always trying, but I can't do a perfect one.
Making a fish ball sauce depends on the taste of every individual but a popular sauce people use is banana, ketchup, white sugar, onion and garlic.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in oil
- Add the banana, ketchup and sugar
- Add a little amount of water to make it saucy.
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes on low or until the sauce is a consistency you prefer.
Raw fish or steamed one is necessary?
Do I need to boil the fish first, or it must be raw?
It must be raw so the taste of the fish is consistent and the fish is not overcooked because you are going to deep fry the fish balls. The longer a fish cooks, the drier and tougher it becomes.
What can we get with your fish-ball product?
I want to know what we can get in the fish ball
You can create your very own fish ball by adding vegetables choices that you prefer. Switch it up and add a pinch of grated Parmesan cheese and bacon bits or make a sweet option using sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes and add raisins.
Are fish balls made of the meat of a janitor fish?
I want to know how they are made and with what ingredients and others
There is no one specific fish to use for fish balls. Choose the freshest fish meat available for your fish balls. Any white fish can be used. Experiment.
Can I make a fishball that does not contains a carrots,potatoes and galunggong fish or white fish fillet?
Can I make a fishball that does not contains a carrots,potato and galunggong fish or white fish fillet?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Ethnic Foods
Recent edits by: RealGauharAli, Nuance, Rebekah Becki Van Vlack-Watson