Make a Basic Homemade Farmer's Cheese
Edited by Rich, Ephraim, Melsan
This fresh cheese is incredibly easy to make and is reminiscent of Qeuso Blanco, Ricotta, and Cottage Cheese.
A simple cheese can be made by heating milk then adding an acid. Heating the milk helps break down the proteins which separate into whey and curds. Unlike many other cheeses, nothing is needed for this recipe except milk and acid. Rennet and base are not necessary. The cheese is ready to eat as soon as the curds are removed from the whey. A long culturing time is not required.
- 1 Ingredients & Tools
- 2 Instructions
- 3 Additional homemade cheese
- 4 Homemade Yogurt Cheese
- 5 Tips for homemade yogurt cheese
- 6 Homemade Ricotta Cheese
- 7 Homemade mozzarella cheese
- 8 Homemade Mascarpone cheese
- 9 Homemade Paneer cottage cheese
- 10 Tips Tricks & Warnings
- 11 Referencing this Article
- 12 Comments
Ingredients & Tools
- One Gallon of milk
- Lemon or Vinegar
- A large pot
- Large bowl
- 2 Pint Containers, e.g. mason jars
- Slotted spoon
- Optional: Cheese cloth
- 1Make sure the pot is clean. Any remnants will affect the taste of the finished cheese.Clean the pot.Advertisement
- 2Important: warm the milk slowly! Heating the milk fast will cause the milk to burn at the bottom of the pot. Burned milk tastes terrible. Do not burn the milk. Heat the milk slowly to 170 to 175 degrees Fahrenheit. Stir the milk occasionally. This process can take up to an hour, but the time is worth it.Warm the milk.Advertisement
- 3Check the temperature of the milk frequently with a thermometer.Check the temperature.
- 4When the milk is warm it is time to add an acid to force the curds and whey to separate. Use an entire lemon for a gallon of milk. Alternatively, 4 tablespoons of vinegar can be used in place of the lemon. Regardless, introduce the acid slowly while taking breaks to stir the mixture. You will notice that the separate begins immediately.Add the acid.
- 5Remove the mixture from heat.Remove from heat.
- 6Leave the pot alone for a while to allow the whey and curds to continue separating. Let it rest for around 10 minutes.Let set.
- 7Use the slotted spoon to remove the curds. Place the curds in a large bowl or strainer.Spoon into the bowl.
- 8Use the spoon to press more whey out of the curds. The duration is entirely up to your taste. If you want cheese similar to cottage cheese then leave the whey. If you want something similar to Ricotta or Queso Fresco then press the cheese till it is a bit drier.Press out the whey.
- 9Strain with Cheesecloth. Optionally, you can tie the curds up in cheese cloth and hang the cheese for a few hours. The cloth will allow the whey to strain out of the curds and cloth. Drier cheeses are made through this method.Optional:
- 10Store the end product in glass mason jars or containers.Slide in jars.
- 11The cheese will keep fresh for a couple weeks if you store it in the fridge or in a cool cellar or pantry.Store in a cool place.
- 12This cheese is a great spread on toast or when eaten straight.Enjoy!
Additional homemade cheese
Homemade Yogurt Cheese
Prepare the following ingredients:
Just a plain yogurt
Preparation time is only 5 5minutes before you can make your own homemade yogurt cheese.
- 1Just like you are placing a coverGet a bowl then put on a cooking strainer and a double layer of cheesecloth in it.Advertisement
- 2Get you yogurt then pour it in the bowl where you place the cheesecloth
- 3The yogurt will be drained out overnight and by morning all you will be left is cheese spread. Simply put salt to flavor it, but do not put too much. After you have flavored it with salt you can now serve you homemade yogurt cheese and enjoy.After you pour the yogurt, cover it then put it in a refrigerator and cool it over night.
Tips for homemade yogurt cheese
You can use your homemade yogurt cheese as substitute for a mayonnaise, sour cream and a cream cheese. If you do not have a cheesecloth. You can substitute it with a pillow case or coffee filter, just make sure that they are clean as you will be consuming your homemade yogurt cheese.
Homemade Ricotta Cheese
Prepare the following ingredients:
1 / 2 gallon of a whole milk not the pasteurized (Ultra) milk
2 Cups of buttermilk Making your own ricotta cheese will take up to 1 and half hours. Also, before you begin you need to have the following things to prepare: 1. Rubber Spatula
4. Rubber band
5. Slotted spoon or a skimmer
7. Sauce pan, you could use also a pot. If you have a stainless pot that will be nice.
- 1Rinse first the cheesecloth on a bowl with water or running water than squeeze out the excess water then set your colander in the kitchen sink and fold the cheesecloth into 2 layers and place it on the colander and to cover.
- 2Make sure that the pan will not be that high to make the milk boil. Pour the Milk and the buttermilk in the pan.Heat a pan to medium-low heat only.
- 3Note that the temperature of milk should be able to reach is at 175 FahrenheitStir the milk and buttermilk from the pan and do it for 5 minutes for them not to get burned on the bottom of the pot then get the thermometer and use it to check the temperature is at or around 100 degrees then stop stirring and let it warm and undisturbed.
- 4Once the 175 Fahrenheit has been reached, just turn off the head and leave it for 5 Minutes only.For 10 or 15 Minutes, the milk will start thickening on it surface.
- 5Let it drain from the ricotta up to 10 Minutes in your colander then gather the ends of the cheesecloth and use the rubber band to tie them up. Now hang the bundle for you to drip the excess moisture then let the cheese hang up to 1 hour.Use a skimmer to scoop but gently the curds out of the pot then place it into the colander with the cheesecloth you have prepared earlier.
- 6After hanging the bundle, scrape the cheese and transfer it to a bowl and immediately serve it or put it in your fridge to use it up to 4 days to enjoy your homemade ricotta.
Homemade mozzarella cheese
Making your own mozzarella cheese is quite easy and has fabulous flavor. You just need to prepare for 10 minutes ad its cooking time would take you only up to 20 minutes. Overall, 20 minutes only before you can serve it. Prepare the following ingredients:
1/2 rennet Tablet
1/4 cup cool, must be chlorine free water
1 gallon milk (Skin, 1% or 2%)
2 teaspoons citric acid
- 1Place a pan to a medium heat then pour the milk in the pan and sprinkle it with a citric acid and stir it for 10 to 15 counts. Heat the milk within 88 degrees Fahrenheit until the milk will start to curdle.Get a bowl and pour water and rennet then stir it till it is dissolve.
- 2While heating the milk, add rennet solution then keep on stirring every few minutes (Slowly stirring only) until the milk reaches 105 degrees Fahrenheit, turn off the heat and you will see there some large curds that will be separated from the whey.
- 3Simply scoop the curds and place them in a bowl and if you find it still liquid, leave it for a couple of minutes. Now, use your hand to press the curds and pour off some whey. Place the pressed curds to microwave on high for only 1 minute then drain excess whey. Use a spoon to press the curds to a ball shape till it cools off then place it back to microwave twice in 35 seconds each. Prepare the whey and place it in a pan with a medium heat (157 degrees F.)Using a mesh strainer or a slotted spoon.
- 4Simply knead it like dough till smooth and once you can stretch it that means that it is done. Sprinkle some salt using a teaspoon from 1 to 2 in the cheese while you are kneading it.Once it is cool enough to touch.
- 5Simply dip the cheese for few seconds only just to make it warm and then pliable. Get it back then stretch it again in to a long like rope then fold and dip till it is pliable. So that is dip, stretch and dip.Remember the whey that you have heated?
- 6Make a shape or a log or to any shape you like then store in a solution of 2 teaspoons salt and a cup of water and serve after.Once you can see the cheese to be shiny and smooth.
Homemade Mascarpone cheese
Before you make your own Mascarpone cheese (Italian way) you must plan this ahead as you need refrigeration for at least 12 Hours before you can use. Upon making your homemade Mascarpone cheese, it will only take you 15 minutes before you can serve it. Prepare the following ingredients:
A quart heavy cream
1 / 4 teaspoon tartaric acid
- 1for few seconds only then remove the heat and use a wooded spoon to stir it at least 30 seconds.Get a large and a medium size sauce pan and pour the cream in the medium pan then place the medium pan to the large pan to make a double boiler pan then heat the cream to a temperature of 180 degrees F.
- 2Now line a double cheese cloth and our the cream and leave the mascarpone in a cool place such as the lower part of your fridge for 12 hours then cut 4 9 inches squares and open one on the table.Remove the medium sized saucepan and keep on stirring up to 4 minutes then add tartaric acid.
- 3You can do the same to other for serving it with your friends or family members. You can use your homemade mascarpone cheese for a week to enjoy your own homemade cheese without spending extra.Use a large spoon then get 1/ 4th of mascarpone to the center and use it to serve the cheese.
Homemade Paneer cottage cheese
This cheese can also be added to any dessert to give rich and creamy flavor. This recipe can serve up to 2 people but depends to your preference to how many you want to serve, just double the size of the ingredients. Preparation of this recipe would take you up to 15 minutes only before you can serve it.
Ingredients: 1 liter full-cream milk, you can use a lean milk to have low fat
½ teaspoon of citric acid or a lemon juice
½ cup warm water
- 1Pour milk in a Pan and boil it in medium heat only, then put in citric acid or the lemon juice in a half cup of your warm water.
- 2Keep on stirring and deduce heat until you achieve the curdled milk.Once the milk starts to boil, the mixture of the water or lemon and pour it in the boiling milk.
- 3Get a muslin cloth or cheesecloth to strain the mixture then hold the bundle to a running water and press out the excess water. Hand the bundle up to 20 minutes to drain it out.Remove it from the heat upon separation of whey and curds.
- 4Could be a clean wood or any that is heavy then cut it after into chunks and serve it. You can serve the paneer cheese up to a week but depends to how many that will consume it. You can place the excess cheese to a fridge and leave it in the middle part of the fridge and serve it after.To achieve like block paneer, simply block tie the cloth then place it under a heavy piece.Advertisement
Aside from the mentioned cheese that you can make at home. There are hundreds of other cheese recipes that you can make your own and to reduce your weekly allowance of buying those processed and you can also gauge the taste of your homemade cheese.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Don't throw that whey away! The whey has incredible nutrient content. It will be a bit bitter from the acid but can be used to make pancakes, lemonade, and many other simple kitchen foods.
- Strain longer for harder cheese. The longer the whey is drained, the harder the cheese will be though the creamy texture can be lost.
- Add herbs. Season the cheese to taste after removing the curds from the whey. I prefer fresh rosemary, but any spice tastes great with this cheese.
- Save spoiled milk. This recipe is a great way to save spoiled milk. The heating process will destroy harmful bacteria so the cheese is safe to eat.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make a Basic Homemade Farmer's Cheese. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 22, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_a_Basic_Homemade_Farmer%27s_Cheese
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make a Basic Homemade Farmer's Cheese." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_a_Basic_Homemade_Farmer%27s_Cheese Accessed 22 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make a Basic Homemade Farmer's Cheese." Accessed May 22, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_a_Basic_Homemade_Farmer%27s_Cheese.
Categories : Cooking
Recent edits by: Ephraim, Rich