Make a Adobong String Beans Filipino Style
Edited by Marjhone, Maria, Charmed, Ephraim and 5 others
Adobong Sitaw, otherwise known as string beans, is a variation of the classical Filipino recipe: Adobo. It consists of string beans and meat braised in soy sauce, vinegar and spices.
It also can be made with chicken, pork or both, with liver or without. Some people use crispy pork, like liempo, mushrooms or tofu cubes as alternative protein base. Ideally, the sauce will be naturally thick and oily, but very delicious. This recipe is so easy to cook.
The estimated cooking time: 40-50 minutes. Serves 2-3 people.
How To Make Filipino Style Adobong String Beans
- 1/4 Kilo ground lean pork or pork belly, cut into small cubes or strips
- 1 bunch string beans, cut into 2-inch lengths (discard the ends)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons of vinegar
- 1/4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- black pepper
- cooking oil
- salt (as needed)
- 1-2 hard boiled eggs (optional)
- 1In a pan, heat oil over medium heat.Advertisement
- 2Sauté garlic and onion.Advertisement
- 3Add ground pork, sprinkle lightly with salt and black pepper.
- 4Continue sautéing until pork is thoroughly cooked and turns golden brown.
- 5Pour in vinegar and add the bay leaf.Continue to cook until vinegar is absorbed.
- 6Pour in soy sauce and water.Stir well.
- 7Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 8Add string beans.Stir and simmer for another 10-15 minutes or until string beans are tender.
- 9Season with sugar and salt according to taste.
- 10Garnish with hard boiled eggs quartered.Serve hot and enjoy!Advertisement
Questions and Answers
I love string beans but I am worried these beans might be too salty.
I am on a low sodium diet, so I am wondering if these beans might be too salty for me to eat.
Yes, this string beans recipe is a bit salty since you add 3 tablespoons of soy sauce and a tablespoon of soy sauce contains 1000 milligrams of sodium. And this amount of sodium is half the necessary sodium intake for a day. But I am sure you will not take in everything as this dish can be shared by several people.
But if you are the one who will cook it, only use one tablespoon of soy sauce instead of 3. And to make sure if this food is okay, you can inquire from your nutritionist or diet as to how much soy sauce can you consume a day. Chinatown Soy Sauce is a brand that is sold in stores and online in the Healthy Sections. It has 145 mg per tablespoon. You can also make your own using beef bullion, red vinegar, ground ginger, water and molasses.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Ethnic Foods
Recent edits by: Eng, Doug Collins, Anonymous