Make Your Own Essential Oil Treatments for Hair Loss at Home Using Bergamot Oil vs Black Pepper Oil vs Cedarwood Essential Oil ... and 5 more
Edited by Donna, Eng, qdaddy
Here some of the best essential oil treatment recipes for preventing hair loss and encouraging hair growth. In all recipes, it is a good idea to use a plastic squeeze bottle so you can control the amount of oil and where you put it on your scalp.
The four main carrier oils, to which the healing essential oils are added may be Jojoba, Argan, Coconut Oil and Sweet Almond oil, all of which are known for stopping and reversing hair loss. In some recipes, you also have the option of warming the oil before applying it.
Method 1: Using Bergamot Oil
Bergamot oil is a floral, citrus scent that might remind you a bit of the scent of Earl Grey Tea. Bergamot oil is perfect to use on dry, irritated scalps that are shedding hair because of inflamed or infected hair follicles. It can also help reduce hair loss from hair follicles that are producing too much or too little oil. Bergamot has a very light, stress-relieving scent that has been proven to boost mood. Stress reduction in the form of Bergamot oil aromatherapy is also a way to reduce hair shedding.
- 1Add 4 drops of Bergamot oil to six ounces of Jojoba oil or Sweet Almond oil.Use a plastic squeeze bottle and shake the blend of oils well.Advertisement
- 2Apply the oil blend to your scalp and hair.Massage the oil into your scalp thoroughly.Advertisement
- 3Wrap your head in a towel and let your hair absorb the sweet smelling oil.You can leave this hair on all night if you like.
- 4Rinse your hair well and shampoo as usual.You more than likely will not need to use conditioner afterward.
Method 2: Using Black Pepper Oil
Black pepper oil smells quite fragrant, smelling more a cross between freshly cut grass and a hot pepper, and it will not make you sneeze. This oil is a skin and circulatory stimulant that brings the blood to the surface of the scalp to heal damaged hair follicles and encourage new hair growth.
- 1Add 3 drops of Black Pepper Oil to six ounces of liquid (warmed) coconut oil or Argan oil.Shake the blend of oils well, as they are heavy oils.Advertisement
- 2Apply the blend to your scalp and massage it in.Be sure to keep this mixture away from your eyes as it could burn.
- 3Wrap your head in a towel.Keep the mixture on for at least fifteen minutes but not longer than two hours to avoid scalp irritation.
- 4Shampoo this oil out of your hair.Be sure to remove it all from your scalp and once again, be careful not to get it in your eyes.
Method 3: Using Cedarwood Essential Oil
Cedarwood oil contains antibacterial and antifungal agents that clears up dandruff. It is a warm stimulating natural substance that may tingle a bit as you apply it, but this is evidence of the oil stimulating the scalp follicles so that new hair will grow. The smell of Cedarwood is very relaxing and it can help alleviate anxiety, stress and insomnia, which are three factors that can also cause hair loss.
- 1Add 3 drops of Cedarwood Oil to six ounces of Jojoba or Argan oil.Shake the blend of oils well to mix the two oils together perfectly.Advertisement
- 2Apply the cedarwood essential blend to your scalp and massage it in.Be sure to massage this nourishing oil to the ends of your hair.
- 3Wrap your head in a towel.Keep the mixture on for at least fifteen minutes but not longer than two hours to avoid redness and inflammation of the scalp. You do not want your scalp to become irritated by the stimulating agents in Cedarwood essential oil.
- 4Shampoo this oil out of your hair and follow up with a soothing, cooling conditioner if needed.Be sure to remove it all from your scalp and be careful not to get it in your eyes.
Method 4: Using Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus oil is antibacterial, antifungal and very stimulating to the hair follicles. The warming, tingling properties of the oil tighten hair follicles and inspire follicles to produce new strands. It has a very strong soothing smell, almost like a cross between spearmint, cedar and tea tree oil. It also prevents dandruff. The soothing aroma revitalizes and relaxes the entire body at the same time, helping your hair follicles to heal themselves.
- 1Add two drops of Eucalyptus essential oil to six ounces of Jojoba or Sweet Almond oil.You can add one or two more drops if the smell is not to strong for you. Shake the blend well to mix the two oils together.
- 2Apply the oil to your dry clean hair and massage into your scalp.Be sure to pay special attention to areas that may be losing hair.
- 3Wrap your trees in a towel.Leave this mixture on your hair for as long as six hours but for at least twenty minutes for your scalp to experience beneficial effects.
- 4It is best to rinse this oil out of your hair.If you like you can also shampoo and condition your hair after this.
Method 5: Using Geranium Essential Oil
Geranium Essential oil is known for balancing hormones and may help women who are suffering from hair loss due to menopause, insulin resistance or other conditions related to hormonal imbalance. It is a very pleasant sweet smelling oil that is both floral and earthy. It smells like a lighter version of rose oil. It is used to stimulate the growth of healthy new hair cells and it is very healing for the scalp. This oil is also known to relieve anxiety, stress and insomnia, which also contribute to hair loss, especially in women.
- 1Add five drops of Geranium essential oil to six ounces of Jojoba or Sweet Almond oil.Shake the container well to mix the two oils together.
- 2Apply the oil to your unwashed hair and massage the oil blend deeply into your scalp.Be sure to rub the oil deep into any areas where you have thinning hair or balding patches.
- 3Wrap your locks in a towel.Leave this mixture on your hair all night long if you like but for at least half an hour to enjoy its therapeutic benefits.
- 4Rinse this oil out of your hair.If you like you an also use a light shampoo or conditioner after this but you may be satisfied with condition of your hair as it is.
Note that this is not an essential oil that should be used in pregnancy.
Method 6: Using Palmerosa Oil
Palmerosa is a very unique oil because it has the ability to regulate the production of sebum in the hair follicles. This helps hair grow because excess oil can clog up the hair follicles and stop new growth. It is also a moisturizing oil that can help remedy the dry scalp that can cause dandruff, the shrinkage of hair strands and balding. It is an especially good oil to use if you are an older woman experiencing hair loss. The scent is a mixture of honey, rose and pepper.
- 1Add 5 drops Sweet Basil oil to six ounces of Argan oil, Jojoba oil or Sweet Almond oil.Shake the mixture well.
- 2You can warm the oil by placing the squeeze bottle in warming water in a pot and bringing it almost to boil.Be careful not to heat the oil too much and test its temperature on your skin before you use it.
- 3Apply the warm oil to your scalp and hair.Massage the oil into your scalp thoroughly and be sure to apply the oil to the very end of your hair strands.
- 4Wrap your head in a thick absorbent towel or plastic wrap and let your hair absorb the oil.You can leave this palmerosa oil on your hair on all nigh.
- 5Rinse your hair well and shampoo as usual.You will probably not need to apply conditioner afterward.
Method 7: Using Sweet Basil
Sweet Basil is the best type of basil essential oil to use if you want to regrow hair as it has the antiseptic and stimulating qualities needed to clarify the scalp and grow new hair. As an added bonus, Sweet Basil oil also dispels depression and stress, which is a psychological benefit that can help encourage hair growth as well. The scent is a cross between licorice with a hint of pepper and lemon.
- 1Add 5 drops Sweet Basil oil to six ounces of Jojoba oil or Sweet Almond oil.Use a plastic squeeze bottle and shake well.
- 2Warm the oil by placing the squeeze bottle in warming water in a pot.Be careful not to warm the oil too much or it might be too hot to handle.
- 3Apply the warm oil to your scalp and hair.Massage the oil into your scalp thoroughly.
- 4Wrap your head in a towel and let your hair absorb the oil.You can leave this hair on all night if you like.
- 5Rinse your hair well and shampoo as usual.You more than likely will not need to use conditioner afterward.
Method 8: Using West Indian Bay Essential Oil
Bay Essential oil has a very strong, spicy scent and you might recognize it as being an ingredient that is used in a lot of men's shaving products and cologne. This essential oil is known for being a hair growth stimulant as well as an anti-fungal agent. It is also a powerful emollient that moisturizes and strengthens the hair. The smell of the oil is also calming and relieves stress.
- 1Add 2-3 drops of West Indian Bay Essential Oil to Argan oil or Jojoba oil.It is very strong smelling so use your judgment as to how much of the oil you can tolerate as a scent. Use a plastic squeeze bottle.
- 2Shake the squeeze bottle well and apply to your hair.This is not a hair oil you want to warm up. It is bet to use cool.
- 3Massage the oil into your scalp and hair.Be sure to massage areas of hair loss with the oil to stimulate circulation.
- 4Wrap your head in a towel and let your hair absorb the oil.The longest you should keep it on is about two hours.
- 5Rinse your hair well after treatment.You may feel the need to shampoo, but it is best to wait a day or two so the treatment can take.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- Avoid warming oil in the microwave as it can cause issues with the molecular structure of the oil or get too hot to handle.
- Make sure the Bay Oil that you buy is West Indian and not just Bay, as that is more of a musky and savory culinary herb that is not usually used for hair loss. You might also find it sold as Bayberry Oil or Bay Rum Tree Oil depending on where you live in the world
- If scalp irritation in the form of itching or burning occurs immediately shampoo the oil treatment out of your hair and rinse with the coldest water you can tolerate
Questions and Answers
How to make my hair stop from falling and increase new hair growth?
Hi! This is Nita here and I am 52, and started more hair from the center of my head
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.