Make Your Own Eagle Costume by Using Magazines
Edited by mahalia jovita b. bugasto, Christine dela Cruz, Alma, Eng and 2 others
My eldest son had a project at school that required them to create an eagle costume but by using recycled materials. My wife and I had brainstormed for a few hours and have decided that the best way to create an eagle costume is by using used magazines, glue and cardboard. We planned on using materials that are abundantly available and are easily available inside the house in any given day. If you are also in such a dilemma and do not know what to do. Let me share our experience and show you how to make an eagle costume out of recycled stuff.
Key Parts of an Eagle Costume
- 1Eagles are known for really huge wings when flying. Therefore, you can be rather generous here when it comes to your use of the magazine and just create two big wings at the back. Each side of the wing is somewhat based on a V-shaped anchor. You can attach it to a strong wire that you can wrap around your child's waist.Wings.Advertisement
- 2An eagle's beak is very pointy and bent downwards at the tip. The color is usually yellow. You can make a cone out of some yellow-colored cardboard and just bend over the tip.Beak.Advertisement
- 3You can just use a head dress for this with a lot of fur, so as to create a mohawk look. The volume of the fur is rather a lot at the top, up to the area that connects to the spine. There should also be fur towards the side of the ears.Head.
Advantages of Using Magazines to Create an Eagle Costume
- 1Although real eagles are generally brown in color, the different colors of the magazine will make it all the more interesting.There are a lot of colors that you can play around with.Advertisement
- 2This makes the costume more appealing as it won't look like a dirty newspaper.Magazines usually have a very glossy texture.
- 3There will be enough paper to work with. Also, since the material used in magazines is usually tough and sturdy, you are guaranteed that it will not tear off easily.You basically just need 1 or 2 magazines and you are sure not to need any further materials.
Tips and Tricks on Making Costumes Out of Recycled Materials
- 1Before you start spending your time searching for recycled materials to use, make sure that you are clear on what you really would like to create. It won't hurt to look through the internet for some photos. There are even sites which will give you specific instructions on how to create a craft out of recycled materials. Prepare those instructions first before you head out and search.Develop your model.Advertisement
- 2Make sure you look through these first before even considering to buy anything. Christmas decorations are also good to look at as those usually contains glitters and other shiny materials that may be useful for costumes.Magazines, fabrics, used papers, and wrappers are the most common things that you can think of to recycle.
- 3If you really have to buy some additional materials, make sure you set a limit. A lot of people eventually realize that they have splurged on buying stuff for costumes, just because they are cute to resist. Costume materials can be quite expensive, so if you do not have a limited budget, you can easily overspend and you will regret it later on.Set a limited budget at the very beginning.
- 4You never know when you will need them again. This should be the case even more when you still have kids. You must anticipate that you will have to do a lot of costumes later on for school and other activities. Therefore, take good care of the materials that you have so that you avoid having to spend again.Do not throw away leftover materials, no matter how small or deformed they may look like.
- 5Sometimes, you may just reuse past costumes that you have already assembled. If they are stored neatly in a box, it will be easier for you to access them again later on when you need.Keep all costumes neatly in a box.
- 6All you have to do is wash it off and the glue will detach right away.Use a water-based glue so that it will be easier for you to reuse or reassemble a certain costume.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
How do you make an eagle's beak for an eagle costume?
Out of origami or at home, how would I go about making an eagle's beak for a costume?
The VisiHow article above recommends that you use yellow cardboard to make the eagle beak for your eagle costume. If you don't have access to yellow cardboard, you can use some yellow construction paper that will give the beak enough strength to keep its shape while you're wearing it for your costume. Before you bend, fold, and paste your beak together, make sure to look at a number of pictures of the type of eagle of which you're trying to create a costume. Typically, eagles have big, curvy top mandibles (think of it as the bird's upper jaw) and smaller, straight bottom mandibles. Keeping this in mind, you could cut a 3- to 4-inch triangular piece for the bottom mandible, and then a 6- to 7-inch triangular piece for the top mandible. Simply fold the shorter triangular in half length-wise, and the bottom mandible will be done. For the top mandible, you will want to also fold the paper or cardboard in half length-wise, but you will need to curve the last inch of the paper down. You may be able to do this after you've folded the paper in half, but you can also cut the last inch off, curve it, and then tape it back onto the rest of the top mandible. For the nostril holes, cut two holes (one on each side) near the top of the beak. Eagles' nostrils are oval in shape, not just round. You will now have a great eagle beak to go along with the rest of your fantastic eagle costume.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make Your Own Eagle Costume by Using Magazines. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 30, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_Your_Own_Eagle_Costume_by_Using_Magazines
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make Your Own Eagle Costume by Using Magazines." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_Your_Own_Eagle_Costume_by_Using_Magazines Accessed 30 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make Your Own Eagle Costume by Using Magazines." Accessed Mar 30, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_Your_Own_Eagle_Costume_by_Using_Magazines.
Categories : Arts & Crafts
Recent edits by: Calob Horton, Eng, Alma