Make Your Own Costume
Edited by Emmanuel M. Lardizabal, Eng, Graeme, Maria
Costume refers to a suit or dress used by certain individual or a group. It is designed clothing which is commonly used in times of celebrations. It is also used by a certain group of people especially the indigenous people with respect to their culture. Costumes maybe made up of pieces of clothes, recyclable materials or curtains. They are distinctively designed for some purposes. Costumes are used in celebrations such as Halloween, feasts, gatherings either local or special. Costumes vary whether who will use it. If it is for children then costumes must be appropriate for their age. Costume also is used during auditions and contests.
- 1 How to make your own costume for Christmas Season
- 2 How to make Halloween costume
- 3 Steps
- 4 Do's and don'ts
- 5 Few more ideas on how to be creative
- 6 Making Your Own Christmas Costume
- 7 How to Make Santa Costume
- 8 Steps
- 9 How to Make a Reindeer Costume
- 10 Steps
- 11 How to Make a Candy-man Costume
- 12 Steps
- 13 Tips
- 14 Questions and Answers
- 15 Referencing this Article
- 16 Comments
How to make your own costume for Christmas Season
Things needed in making costume for Christmas:
- 1The clothes may be white, red or green. These colors are very symbolical to Christmas since red represents joy while green represents nature. White on the other hand represents white Christmas. Green and red are actually attractive colors. They are also the colors which are commonly used during Christmas season.Clothes.Advertisement
- 2Pants needed may be the color of your choice. It may be pure green, red, white or black.Pants.Advertisement
- 3Bay leaves will be used to design the clothes in order to make it customized. They will be placed and attached on the clothes. This will serve as the decoration of your clothes.Bay leaves.
- 4The metallic Christmas decoration will give color to your costume when it is attached to the clothes.Metallic Christmas decoration.
- 5This will be used in clipping the bay leaves and the metallic decorations to your clothes. Stapler is the best to use so that you can easily remove it rather than stick glues and the like.Stapler with staple.
Steps in making Christmas decorations
- 1The reason why you need to wash the clothes first is that you cannot wash it when you have attached the metallic Christmas decorations and the bay leaves. Dry the clothes after washing and you are ready to start decorating.Wash the clothes first before attaching the decoration which is the bay leaves and the metallic Christmas decorations.
- 2Usually they are decorated as belt. Start putting the bay leaves from the left part of the shirt using the stapler. Continue to do this in pattern starting from the front of the shirt and the back of the shirt until it meets the starting point. You can also design the bay leaves diagonally. Start placing the bay leaves from the right bottom corner of the shirt and continue placing bay leaves until it will reach the left shoulder of the shirt. When it reached the left shoulder, and then continue to place bay leaves until it reach the starting point. There, clip the bay leaves using the stapler.Get the bay leaves and you can decorate it in any form you want.
- 3Get the metallic Christmas decoration. The same thing as the bay leaves will be done in putting it. You may place it vertically or horizontally. When placing the metallic Christmas decoration, you should not cover the bay leaves with it.When you are finished in designing your shirt.
- 4You can design your pants by purely using bay leaves or by purely using metallic Christmas decoration. You can attach the bay leaves by putting it one at a time and with the right spacing. You can place it in front of the pants as well as on the pants back. You can also place the metallic Christmas decoration by placing it in one line starting from the upper part of the pants downwards. You should staple the metallic Christmas decoration in order for it not to be removed easily.When you are finished making your design in your shirt then next to design your pants.
How to make Halloween costume
The things needed in making Halloween costume
- 1The shirt or sweater will be designed in order to use it as a costume. The shirt or sweater may be the old ones. You also need extra shirt to be placed on the socks which will look like an extra hand. Refer to the photo.Shirt or sweater.Advertisement
- 2This will be used in making a third hand and will make the costume more beautiful. The socks should be color brown. We need color brown to show the color of the hand and the color of your complexion for it to be seen as real hand.Socks.
- 3Paint will be used to make a blood in your costume to make it more Halloween in nature. The paint needed is red in color. You can also use different colors and may used it in the way you want it to be.Paint.
- 4The thread and needle will be used in sewing the hole you will me making when you are on the process of making your costume.Thread and needle.
- 5These will be used in removing part of the shirt in front by making a hole.Scissors.
- 1Make a hole in your shirt. The hole should be as big as the socks' opening. You can make a whole in the center of the shirt or in any place of your choice. The hole is the place which will serve as third hand when the costume is fully made.Get the shirt and the scissors.Advertisement
- 2Get the sock and start to sew it with the hole. The sock should cover the whole made. Sew also the other sock in any of the arms sleeve. The socks should also cover the opening of the sleeves. The sleeve is the part where your hand was inserted.After making the hole.
- 3It should be placed fully in the socks. Do it on the sock in the hole and in the sleeve. You need to place the extra cloth to show that it was like a real hand.Get the extra cloth and start placing it in the socks.
- 4Put only small amount of paint to dry it easily. You can also put paint droplets on the different part of the shirt to make in more Halloween in nature.Place paint around the socks in the hole you made to show that it was like real blood.
- 5Dry the paint before using.
Do's and don'ts
- 1Don't rush to avoid an accident.Take care when you are sewing.
- 2Wash the clothes first before decorating.
- 3Secure the paint and keep it away from reach of children.
- 4An over decorated costume is not good to the eye.Do not over decorate your costumes.
Few more ideas on how to be creative
Costume-making calls for a great deal of creativity. Costumes are meant to add a little more fun to parties. This is why costumes has become a favorite in office, home, school or corporate parties; some even throw cash prices for the coolest attires. Costumes can sometimes be very costly but why spend much on them if you can make your own costumes and save some cash. Now that Christmas is just around the corner, people would be partying everywhere. Do you want to wear a more personalized costume in this year's Christmas party? Then you may want to look into some of the ways on how you can create and personalize your own Christmas costume.
Making Your Own Christmas Costume
How to Make Santa Costume
- 1On your sweatshirt, attach the white around the cuffs and down the front.
- 2Do the same thing with your sweatpants down to the ankles.
- 3Add green holly leaves made of felt paper and adhere it to the sweatsuit.
- 4Finish your look with the black boots and forget not the Santa beard and hat.
How to Make a Reindeer Costume
- 1Brown sweatshirt
- 2Brown sweatpants
- 3Red felt paper
- 6Reindeer antlers
- 7Red blinking nose
- 1Using a red felt, make a collar for your shirt as per your desired length and width.
- 2Tie a jingle bell on the ribbons then adhere the ends to the felt paper.
- 3Fasten the collars with a Velcro.
- 4Complete your reindeer costume with the antlers and blinking red nose.
- 5A red makeup can be an alternative for the blinking red nose.
- 6Finally, put on your black gloves and shoes.
How to Make a Candy-man Costume
- 1White sweatshirts and sweatpants
- 2Red paint fabric
- 3Paint brush (foam-tipped)
- 4Glitters in different color
- 1Paint stripes on your sweatshirt and sweatpants.
- 2You Christmas candy costume is now ready.If you want your costume to glitzy, you could sprinkle glitters in different colors.Advertisement
When creating your own costumes for whatever the occasion is, try to make use if recyclable materials. You need not buy all the materials needed. Just look around your house and you can find a lot. If you have kept your costumes from previous years, you may just want to make some enhancement.
Questions and Answers
How to make a Santa costume out of recyclable materials?
I need to design a costume for my school. I have tried: I tried to surf the web but I still can't find how to make it. I think it was caused by: I am not sure
Santa Costumes can be created with items from around the house. In this Youtube Video you can see how to use a bathrobe, pair of sweatpants and two pillows to make a Santa costume.
Santa costumes do not need to be all red. You can use a pair of your pants with suspenders and a shirt. Use a pillow to make the tummy and the cotton balls for a beard. You can even use tinsel garland to make the suspenders. Recycled costumes are up to your imagination. Look at items around your house and see if you can implement them in a unique way. Cut out glasses from a paper towel or toilet paper roll. Use the circular tube and then the rest of the cardboard to complete the glasses. Take a marker and color them black.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make Your Own Costume. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 27, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_Your_Own_Costume
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make Your Own Costume." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_Your_Own_Costume Accessed 27 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make Your Own Costume." Accessed Mar 27, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_Your_Own_Costume.
Categories : Fashion
Recent edits by: Graeme, Eng, Emmanuel M. Lardizabal