Make Your Own Cake in a Jar
Edited by Ian Gabriel T. Tolledo, Robbi, Eng, Lynn and 5 others
Everybody loves cake, but cake in a jar is even better. It makes the perfect unique gift for friends, family and loved ones. You can customize them for Valentine's Day, birthdays, baby showers and even picnics. These impressive desserts are filled with layers of cake, cookies, whipped cream, fruit or colorful frosting, and the list of flavor combinations is endless. Step outside the box and make other jarred desserts such as fruit-filled parfaits and smores made with brownies. You can even decorate the jar with colorful ribbons and bows, or tags with a personalized message. Impress your friends and family with a delicious work of art.
- 1 Things You'll Need
- 2 Dulce de Leche Trifle
- 3 Choco-Lava Cake in a Jar
- 4 3 Layer Jello® Cake in a Jar
- 5 S'mores in a Jar
- 6 Roasted Strawberry Parfaits
- 7 Birthday Cake
- 8 Questions and Answers
- 9 Referencing this Article
- 10 Comments
Things You'll Need
- One-pint canning jars.
- Cooking spray.
- Baking sheet.
- Decorations (get creative).
- Ingredients for each recipe (See below).
Dulce de Leche Trifle
Dulce de leche is a sweet caramelized milk spread that pairs well with cakes, cookies and other pastries. When combined with whipped cream, fruit and meringue, this heavenly trifle is perfect for all occasions. Its wonderful aroma and rich taste, it will easily satisfy even the most choosy cake critic.
- 10 small meringues, broken into pieces
- 1 tub of of whipped cream (about 2 cups)
- About 2 cups or more of fresh strawberries, chopped very small, and blueberries (choose any fruit you want)
- 1 cup of dulce de leche
- 4 jars
- 1Layer the meringues in the jar.Advertisement
- 2Add a layer of dulce de leche.Advertisement
- 3Alternate these layers, and finish the top with whipped cream. For tastier results, refrigerate for at least 2 hours before consuming. Enjoy!Make the third layer with whipped cream.
Choco-Lava Cake in a Jar
The decadent flavor of dark chocolate pairs well with the bright citrus flavor of orange zest. This choco-lava cake in a jar combines the best of both worlds for a flavor match made in heaven. So gather your ingredients and get ready to indulge in a rich, zesty treat.
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier (or 1 teaspoon orange extract)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 fresh eggs
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- 6 jars
- 1Melt both the chocolate and butter in a double boiler over simmering water. Remove heat then stir in the Grand Marnier with the orange zest. Now sift in flour, sugar and salt and mix thoroughly. Using an electric beater, whisk the eggs one at a time, then keep on beating for 3 minutes or until the chocolate becomes a slightly lighter shade of brown.Use 1 tablespoon of butter to grease the inside walls of each jar.Advertisement
- 2Put it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or overnight, if you want to prepare them ahead of time.Now fill the jars with around 1/3 cup of batter each.
- 3Remove each jar from your refrigerator and place them on the baking sheet. Immediately bake them for about 8-10 minutes, or just until the top is set in the center, though slightly wobbly.To bake, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- 4Remove the jars from the oven and let them cool slightly.
- 5Serve immediately. Enjoy!Sprinkle the tops of the cakes with powdered sugar, if desired.
3 Layer Jello® Cake in a Jar
Condensed milk and Jello come together in this magical dessert that's light and refreshing. This cake in a jar sports both creamy and fluffy layers, as well as fresh strawberries and Jello. You can put it together a day ahead, and it's perfect for Valentine's Day or a summertime barbecue.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 can condensed milk (14 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons of corn starch
- 2 cups of milk
- 3 cups of chopped strawberries (very fine to fit in the jars better)
- 2 cups of water
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pack of strawberry Jello® (6 oz.)
- 4 to 5 jars
- 1Put the mix pan on medium heat and let it simmer for a while. Stir continuously, until it becomes thick.Mix and whisk egg yolks, condensed milk, milk and corn starch together.
- 2Let it cool for around 30 minutes.Now divide the mixture between the jars, and fill them about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.
- 3Stir it well with a spoon until it's completely dissolved.Boil 2 cups of water and add the Jello.
- 4Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then slowly fold the Jello into the egg whites until they're thoroughly combined.
- 5The three layers will appear when the Jello settles at the bottom of the jar with the strawberries. Place the jars in your refrigerator at least two hours until they chill, then serve. Enjoy!Evenly distribute a strawberry above the condensed milk mix in all jars, and then add the Jello and egg whites mix on top of the strawberries.
S'mores in a Jar
Making this yummy cake in a jar recipe is a piece of cake.
S'mores made with chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallows are the perfect campfire treat, but you can easily recreate them in your kitchen with this fun and tasty recipe. This unique take on the classic formula includes the addition of brownies, as well as dark chocolate. If you have kids, enlist their help for a project you can enjoy together.
- Pre-made brownies (with or without nuts), or you can make your own
- 2 packets Hershey's Simple Pleasures - dark chocolate
- 1 package of Graham Crackers
- 2 tbs butter (melted)
- Approx 1 cup of mini marshmallows
- Chocolate sugar
- 1Preheat your oven to 275F.
- 2Combine the graham crackers and melted butter in the food processor and pulse until they break down into a fine crumb texture.
- 3Press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of each jar using a spoon or pestle with a rounded edge.
- 4Layer portions of brownies on top of the graham cracker mixture, and add a layer of Hershey's Simple Pleasure chocolates.
- 5Place about an inch of water in a steel baking pan with a high side, then pop the canning jars into the water.
- 6Place the baking pan into the oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until the chocolates begin to melt.
- 7Put the tray back into the oven for another 5 minutes, or until the marshmallows melt.Take the baking pan out of the oven, and pop a handful of marshmallow minis on top.
- 8Move the tray to the top shelf of the oven.
- 9Once the marshmallows brown, remove the pan from the oven. Let the jars cool for a few minutes and handle them carefully, but eat the smores while they're still warm. Enjoy!Set the broiler to high, and keep watch.
Roasted Strawberry Parfaits
While this isn't technically a cake, these roasted strawberry parfaits are served in a beautifully layered jar, and they're bursting with juicy goodness. Roasting strawberries deepens and intensifies their flavor, and it produces a sweet syrup that pairs well with honey, granola and tart Greek yogurt. This recipe is perfect for those who want a sweet treat without all the extra fat and calories.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup granola
- Mint for garnish, optional
- 1Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2Combine the strawberries and brown sugar in a medium bowl.
- 3Place the strawberries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 4Place the strawberries in the oven for about 15 minutes ,or until the strawberries become juicy but still firm.
- 5Set the bowl aside while you prepare the other ingredients.Remove the strawberries and carefully pour them into a bowl, along with the juice.
- 6Mix the Greek yogurt and honey in another medium bowl, and mix well until they form a smooth-creamy texture.
- 7Then, add few spoonfuls of roasted strawberries on top of the yogurt, and add a tablespoon of granola on top of the strawberries. Continue layering until the glass is 3/4 full.In an eight ounce glass, assemble parfaits by placing layers of yogurt on the bottom part of the glass.
- 8Place the optional sprig of mint on top for garnishing. Enjoy!Top the jars with another spoonful of the strawberries and sprinkle with granola.
Surprise your special loved one with an individual birthday treat that's filled with buttery yellow cake, studded with rainbow sprinkles and layered with colorful frosting.
This portable cake is the perfect easy-to-make dessert that you can sneak into lunches, or you make several for a birthday gathering surprise that everyone will love.
- Yellow cake mix, plus ingredients specified on the box (or homemade)
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Vanilla or chocolate buttercream or whipped cream frosting (homemade or canned)
- 4 jars
- 1Do the same if you make a homemade cake. Allow it to cool before proceeding.Bake the yellow cake according to the instructions on the box, but add a handful of rainbow sprinkles to the batter before baking.
- 2Tear the cake into bite-sized pieces with your hands.
- 3Place some cake into the bottom of each jar to make the first layer.
- 4Keep doing this until the jar is full.Add a spoonful of frosting to make another layer, then alternate with cake.
- 5Enjoy!Top the cakes with a few sprinkles.
Questions and Answers
Do you know how to make red velvet cake in a jar?
Red velvet cake is very popular among my friends and family and I was wondering if you have a recipe for this type of cake in a jar so I could give them away as gifts.. I have tried: I have tried making cocoa cake in a jar.
Cups are usually 250 ml containers. This recipe is for a family-sized red velvet cake.
- 1 cup of canola oil
- alternative: 1.5 cup of butter (lactose-tolerant);
- 0.5 cup of vegetable oil (any);
- 3 level teaspoons of vanilla or cinnamon; sometimes, both are mixed and added;
- 2 cups of fructose
- alternative: sweeteners in the dosage of 4.5 cups of sugar (1.1 liters);
- alternative: 4.5 cups of sugar;
- 1 teaspoon of salt;
- 3 cups of water with 3 teaspoons of lemon juice;
- alternative: 3 cups of coconut milk with 3 tablespoons of vinegar;
- another alternative: 3 cups of buttermilk (lactose-tolerant);
- 3 teaspoons of vinegar;
- alternative: 3 teaspoons of cider vinegar if you prefer it;
- 6 eggs;
- 3 teaspoons baking soda;
- 2 containers of red colorant (no taste, gel);
- 2 teaspoons of burgundy colorant (no taste);
- 6 cups of flour;
- 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder.
- 1Heat your oven to 350 ºC.
- 2Use a parchment baking paper with little vegetable oil.
- 3Blending may take 5 minutes at medium speeds.Blend canola oil, vegetable oil, fructose, and vanilla (cinnamon may be used in the mixture as well).
- 4Mix flour, cocoa, eggs, and salt in another container.
- 5Mix them.Add both food colorants to the container.
- 6Add water with lemon juice into the mixture.
- 7Mix all of the ingredients from all of the containers.
- 8Add them to the batter. Blend the mixture for 10 minutes.Beat baking soda with vinegar into a small container for less than a minute.
- 9Bake the cake for approximately 1.5 hours. Test the cake from time to time with a match. Rotate the cake if necessary.Place the mixture into the oven.
- 10Take the cake out and let it cool down.Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make Your Own Cake in a Jar. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 28, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_Your_Own_Cake_in_a_Jar
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make Your Own Cake in a Jar." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_Your_Own_Cake_in_a_Jar Accessed 28 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make Your Own Cake in a Jar." Accessed Apr 28, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_Your_Own_Cake_in_a_Jar.
Categories : Desserts
Recent edits by: Doug Collins, VisiHow, Donna