Make Your Own Baby Sling Carrier
Edited by Angel Hammer, Eng, Robbi, Lynn and 1 other
Let's face it, times are tough for many people, and not everyone can afford an expensive baby sling or carrier.
Baby wearing has been practiced in many cultures for hundreds of years. When done properly, it is not only safe, but extremely convenient as well. Babies who are worn are shown to be more easily soothed and they behave more calmly in general.
Baby wearing is also a very good way to bond with your baby and can aid in calming a fussy and/or colicky baby, not to mention that it will free up your hands to do other things. With this method you can make a baby sling/carrier for free with things that you have already around your house.
You will need three good quality T-shirts, a pair of scissors, and a piece of yarn (about six inches in length) to begin. This baby sling is not meant to be a permanent solution, you might want to purchase a more high quality sling or wrap if you want to use it for a very long period of time. This sling is suitable for about a month of regular usage.
- 1You can choose the appropriate t-shirt size for this project by putting the t-shirt on with one arm through. The shirt should reach from your shoulder to your hip with room to fit a baby through. Generally you want two sizes above your normal size.Choose your T-shirts.Advertisement
- 7Stretch each shirt so that it completely covers the babies back and reaches to his knee.Place your babies bottom in the center of the criss-cross, place one leg through each shirt so that the baby is straddling your chest.
- Make sure that you use shirts which do not have seams on the sides, the shirt needs to be a solid piece of fabric for safety reasons.
- Make sure to wear your baby facing inward if he or she cannot hold her head up yet, this will give baby a bit of extra support so he or she doesn't damage the sensitive neck.
- If this sling or carrier is not worn properly, injury is possible. Always wear the baby high on your chest - the rule is that you should be able to kiss the top of your little one's head at all times. Never wear a baby facing out, and always make sure that the babies knees are higher than his or her bottom in a frog like position. If babies legs fall lower than his or her hips, it can cause hip dysplasia. Never wear your baby facing outward; this can cause massive strain on both the back of the wearer and the infant's growth and development.
Things You'll Need
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make Your Own Baby Sling Carrier. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_Your_Own_Baby_Sling_Carrier
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make Your Own Baby Sling Carrier." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_Your_Own_Baby_Sling_Carrier Accessed 24 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make Your Own Baby Sling Carrier." Accessed Jun 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_Your_Own_Baby_Sling_Carrier.
Categories : Parenting
Recent edits by: Lynn, Robbi, Eng