Make Stuffed Empanada
Edited by sheryl hernandez, Eng, Rebecca M.
Empanada is a stuffed pastry or bread that is quite popular in many Latin American countries as well as some southeastern Asian and southern European countries. They can be either fried or baked and stuffed with various fillings. Empanadas are a very old dish that have been mentioned in cookbooks dating back to the 16th century. They are easy to make and budget friendly, which makes them a great menu choice for feeding a crowd.
Ingredients for the filling
- 1 Kg (2 lbs)of ground pork (or beef).
- 1 large potato cut into small cubes.
- 1 large carrot, cut into small cubes.
- 1 medium size bell pepper, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 Kg (16 oz.) of green peas
- 5 ml (1 teaspoonful) of pickle relish
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Medium size onion, minced
- A pinch of pepper to taste
- 1-225 g (8 oz.)box of raisin
- Cooking oil for sautéing
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of fish sauce
Cooking the stuffing
- 1Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the cooking oil.Advertisement
- 2Add the minced garlic and let it brown and then add the minced onion and the 2 tablespoon fish sauce.Advertisement
- 3Put the ground pork and simmer until tender.
- 4Simmer again until the vegetables are tender.Add the potatoes, carrots, and bell peppers.
- 5You can now add the green peas, and the raisin.
- 6When the pork is tender, together with the vegetables, add the pickle relish.
- 7Remove from heat and set aside to cool for 1 hour.
Ingredients for the dough
- 1 Kg (4 cups) of all purpose flour.
- 1teaspoon of baking powder.
- teaspoon of white sugar.
- 2 Eggs.
- 1/4 Kg (1 cup) of margarine.
- A pinch of salt.
- Water as need.
- 1Sift all the dry ingredients together 3 times so that they are well combined.In a large bowl.
- 2Make a small hole in the center of the mixture.Add the margarine to the flour mixture and incorporate with a pastry cutter or fork until it becomes crumbly.
- 3Add one egg at a time, stirring after each egg.
- 4If the eggs and the margarine are not enough to bind the ingredients together into a dough, add water one tablespoon at a time until the dough forms a ball.
- 5Lightly dust a flat surface with flour and place the dough on it.
- 6Knead the dough gently until it begins to feel slightly elastic.
- 7Cover the dough and let it rest for 1 hour.
- 8Place the dough on a floured surface and roll it out to a thickness of 1/8 to 1/4 inch (the thinner the better).
- 9Cut the dough into circular shapes using a round cookie cutter, biscuit cutter, or even a jar lid.
- 10Fold in half over the contents to make a half-moon shape.Put a spoonful of the filling in the center of your of the dough.
- 11You can moisten the edges with water to seal the dough if needed.Crimp the edges with a pastry wheel or a fork.
- 12Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.Deep fry the empanada in a few inches of hot oil until they are a light golden brown.Advertisement
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Cooking
Recent edits by: Eng, sheryl hernandez