Make Poule au pot
Edited by Saira, Eulalee, Charmed, Eng and 1 other
This delicious chicken version of pot-au-feu became the symbol of prosperity when Henri IV of France declared that his ambition was to see each of his subjects eat chicken on Sundays.
- 2-2.5 kg boiling fowl (with giblets)
- 3 small onions, peeled
- 5 garlic cloves
- 450grams carrots
- 350grams white parts of leeks
- 225grams button onions of head of celery
- 225grams firm heart of young cabbage
- 40grams coarse salt crystals
- 2.5liter water
- 12 peppercorns
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1Wash and trim the giblets.Advertisement
- 2Wipe the chicken inside and out with a cloth, wrung out in boiling water.Fill the chicken with three small onions, peeled and with a garlic clove inserted in each one.Advertisement
- 3Truss firmly and tie with string.
- 4Prepare the carrots, leeks, onions and celery as is done when preparing pot-au-feu.Divide the cabbage into 8 sections, trim and remove the toughest part of the core leaving enough to hold the leaves together.
- 5Put the chicken, giblets, salt and water into a large pan, placed over a low heat.Bring contents very slowly to a boil.
- 6The pan should be just large enough to hold all the ingredients and allows the water to reach half-way up the chicken breast.
- 7As the liquid reaches boiling point remove the foam as it rises until the surface is clear.
- 8Add the bundles of prepared vegetables (except the cabbage), peppercorns, herbs, the remaining two garlic cloves and the nutmeg.
- 9When the liquid returns to a simmer, lower the heat, half cover the pan and simmer for approximately 3 hours.Add the cabbage 20 minutes before serving. This meal must be cooked as slowly as possible.
- 10To serve, drain the chicken, peel off the skin, carve and arrange on a large heated serving plate.Drain the vegetables and place them in small groups around the meat. Cover with foil and keep hot.Advertisement
- The classic sauce to serve with poule-au-pot is sauce ivoire. Take the required amount of chicken bouillon from the pan before the cabbage is added and pour it into a wide, shallow bowl. Remove the fat first with a metal cooking spoon and then with strips of kitchen paper drawn over the surface. Pour a little of the sauce over the meat and serve the rest in a heated sauceboat.
Sauce ivoire Ingredients
- 425 ml sauce Bechamel
- 1 liter strong chicken bouillon
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the sauce Bechamel in a heavy saucepan before adding the heated chicken bouillon to it, a little at a time while whisking with a birch whisk. Continue simmering while stirring briskly until the sauce is reduced to a medium thick Bechamel. Test for seasoning before serving.
This is the classic sauce to serve with poule au pot. It is made with the strong chicken and vegetable bouillon produced while cooking the chicken.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Meats & Main Dishes
Recent edits by: Eng, Charmed, Eulalee