Make Personalized Calendar
Edited by Emmanuel M. Lardizabal, Anonymous, Eng, Graciela Franchesca Rosario and 3 others
A calendar is a tool used by people to organize daily schedules and appointments. It is also used to set dates, to organize social activities and religious events, and to set up medical, commercial, and administrative appointments. A calendar is an essential tool for reminding us of special days and gatherings. It can aid us in setting up daily tasks in an effective manner, preventing you from missing any meetings or tasks that should be accomplished on a specific day.
A calendar provides us with periods of time such as days, weeks, months and years. It allows us to keep track of the day so we always know what is scheduled daily. It is very useful for letting us know when holidays, phases of moon, Sunday or Saturday are coming up. Our calenders can remind us of tasks that need to be accomplished on or before those days. Calendars often come printed on paper with dates chronologically arranged by months and weeks with each week beginning with Sunday and ending with Saturday. Usually, there are 4 weeks in a month, although there is the occasional 5 week month. Some calendars are computerized and some are personalized.
A personalized calendar is a calendar that a person creates for their own use. It is not made by an impersonal company for general use. It is designed for a specific use such as personal or family plans and events. A personal calender can be crafted and be given as a gift. It is also used as a planner where events and appointments are listed and reminders for future events are penciled in the appropriate day. A calendar may be large and meant to be hung on the wall at home or in the office. Others may be smaller, about the size of a personal checkbook or credit card size in order to fit within a wallet.
With today's technology, templates for calendars are available in software, in MS Word, and many can be downloaded from the internet. Or to make your own personalized calendar by hand, gather the following tools and materials.
Materials needed for making a personalized calendar
- 1Poster board or construction paper.It is more advisable to use Poster board for the calender since it is sturdier than construction paper and will hold up better. Use construction paper only when you don't have poster board. Construction paper is best used in making the numbers for the calendar dates, and may be used in creating a design on the calendar.Advertisement
- 2Coloring materials.This can include colored pencils, colored markers, gel pens. These will be used in designing and personalizing your calendar. Colors will be used to give the calendar color and personality.Advertisement
- 3Ornamental shapes.Flat ornamental shapes made of payer can be used to decorate your calendar. You can also use beads of different colors, which will give your calendar texture and dimension. Beads are fairly easy to attach with glue.
- 4Scissors.Scissors will be used in cutting numbers and shapes you have drawn or found in magazines, newspapers or other sources.
- 5Glue.Glue will be used to attach the numbers for the dates, and shapes and beads for the design on your personalized calendar.
- 6Plastic cover.A plastic cover is needed to protect the personalized calendar from dirt and moisture. You can also laminate your calendar or spray it with a craft polyurethane spray.
- 7Ruler and pencil.The ruler will be used in measuring the spaces when making the grid for the calendar dates. This will be used so that the spaces are uniform in size and to ensure each month has enough squares for the number of days. The pencil will be used in sketching everything on the calendar before anything permanent is done since it can be easily erased if there is a mistake.
Steps in making personalized wallet calendar
- 1A pocket calendar is small and tends to be 3 by 5 in length and width.It is usually used when a calendar needs to be carried at all times. It is convenient to have so you can check the date for appointments or events no matter where you are.Advertisement
- 2Measure and cut the poster board to 5 inches long and 3 inches wide.Poster board will work well for a pocket calendar as it will bend without creasing or tearing.
- 3Use the ruler to measure so the boxes will all be the same size.Use the pencil to mark the correct places to draw lines both horizontally and vertically so you will have 7 boxes across the calendar and 6 boxes down for a total of 42 boxes for each month. The top row of seven boxes will be used for the name of the days while the rest will be used for the dates. The first column will have the Sunday, and then second column is Monday and so on through to Saturday. You may also change the layout of your calendar by making it in a list form with 1 to 31 and the weekdays. The list calendar is commonly used for daily activities. When you have finished making boxes, follow the next step.
- 4Go over your penciled lines using colored pencils or markers to make it more visible and colorful.The color will depend on your choice. You can also use a black pen if you want it.
- 5After you have penciled in your entire design, you can start writing the numbers in the boxes.The numbers need to be written since the boxes are very small. If you made numbers out of construction paper, the space may not be big enough and numbers will be overlapping. You will also need to write the calendar month and year at the top of the calendar. You can include a legend using colors to designate different things, such as events and meetings.
- 6Color your calendar after numbering the days.The colors may be assigned, depending on your choice. You can arrange the colors as follows: green if you have a meeting, blue if you have an important appointment. You can also put smileys in your calendar on your days off and so on.
- 7Cover the calendar after making it by laminating it or by spraying it with a polyurethane spray to protect your personalized calendar from getting wet or dirty.The covering will also help to prevent your personalized calendar from being easily destroyed.
Steps for making a personalized home calendar
- 1For a wall calendar, you can use lightweight cardboard, poster board or construction paper.They are all available in various sizes so you can choose the size based on the size you want your calendar to be. Cardboard or poster board is better to use than construction paper since they are more durable. Use your ruler to measure so you can mark the points where lines will be drawn vertically and horizontally to form a total of 42 boxes with 7 columns across and 6 rows down. The top row will have the name of the days and the rest will be the day's numbers.Advertisement
- 2When you are finished penciling in the boxes, you can start with the lines using colored pencils or markers.This will make the boxes easy to see and make them a bit colorful if you use different colors.
- 3Cut numbers from one to thirty one from construction paper.The numbers will be used for the dates. You can cut letters for each day (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and so on). The size the numbers are cut depends on how big the personalized calendar is. After cutting the numbers and the letters for the days, you will also make month names and the year.
- 4Place the appropriate numbers in the boxes using glue.Be sure the dates are securely glued to prevent from falling off. Be sure everything is positioned properly to keep from having a sloppy looking calendar. Place the names of the days in the top row of boxes and then place the month name and year on the top of the calendar.
- 5After placing the numbers, days, month and year on the personalized calendar, you can start coloring and decorating it.The color of the boxes may vary depending on your schedule. If it is your day off, you can put just a smiley. You can also make the color of the boxes green on any days you have a meeting and blue on days you have an appointment. After coloring it, you can add any decorations you want on the personalized calendar. You can put them down the sides of the calendar or just in the corners. You can make flowers, hearts or make it look like the calendar is in a frame. You can decorate it any way you wish.
- 6After completing your calendar, cover your calendar to protect it from dirt or moisture and being torn, by laminating it or spraying it with a polyurethane spray.
Do's and Don'ts
- 1The numbers should be placed in the proper chronological order.If the numbers are not placed chronologically, it may be confusing to try to read the date on it.
- 2Always place the name of the month in the center of the calendar to avoid confusion.The year should be always beside the month name.
- 3Do not use decorations that will cover your calendar dates.This is so the dates can always be seen.
- 4Always use the top row for the names of days.
- 5Make your personalized calendar simple and easy on the eyes.Do not overdo the decorations or it will just look busy and cluttered.Advertisement
Enjoy your personalized calender!
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Arts & Crafts
Recent edits by: Laurel Waddell, Nlangster, Graciela Franchesca Rosario