Make Perfect Appetizers for Christmas
Edited by Maureen D., Lynn, Eng
Hors d'oeuvres or appetizers are served just before the main course, or at some cocktail parties, these food items are served alone, together with drinks of course. Here are some appetizer ideas for the holiday season.
Goat Cheese Logs
Who doesn't love delicious and creamy cheese? Add some spices and sweet sherry, and this recipe will be one of the best to keep your guests coming back for more. This is best served with toasted pita and crostini. Yields 2 logs.
- 4 ounces of goat cheese (2 logs)
- 4 ounces of cream cheese
- 3 teaspoons of sweet sherry (aged is best for this recipe)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper (black)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 teaspoons of freshly chopped parsley
- 4 teaspoons of fresh dill, chopped
- 1Place it in plastic wrap, rolling it to form a log and chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.In a bowl, combine goat cheese, cream cheese, sweet sherry, and pepper.Advertisement
- 2Spread the fresh herbs in a parchment paper, and on another parchment paper, spread the paprika and cumin.Advertisement
- 3Roll one of the cheese logs in the fresh herbs and the other log in the spice mixture.Unwrap the cheese log and slice it in half.
Mini Triple Decker Sandwiches
These tasty mini bites are very low in fat. This recipe makes 18 mini sandwiches.
- 4 teaspoons brown mustard, spicy
- 6 slices of rye bread, remove the crusts
- 8 slices of Swiss cheese
- 6 slices pastrami
- 4 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons of sauerkraut
- 1Top the bread slices with cheese, 1 1/2 slices of pastrami, and another slice of cheese.Take 4 slices of bread and spread 1/2 teaspoon of mustard on each of them.Advertisement
- 2Top them with the remaining two meat-cheese sandwiches to form a triple-decker.Spread the remaining slices of bread with melted butter and place on top of the mini sandwiches you made earlier.
- 3Turn them over and cook until they have turned golden brown and the cheese is melted. Cut them in thirds, and then cut them again into three equal pieces. Secure with toothpicks. Place in nice platters and top with sauerkraut just before serving.Grill the mini sandwiches over medium heat, brushing both sides with melted butter.
Spicy Yogurt and Cheese Balls
These tangy little appetizers are very easy to put together. They taste good and are nice to look at as well, due to the colorful spices and nuts.
- 32 ounces of yogurt, plain
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1Line a sieve with a cheesecloth and set it in a bowl.Advertisement
- 2Stir the ingredients in a separate bowl.
- 3Place the yogurt mixture into the sieve and cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- 4Let it strain and chill it in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- 5Again, cover with plastic wrap loosely and put it back in the refrigerator for 6 hours.Take a large plate and cover it with thick paper towels (about 8) and transfer the strained yogurt onto it.
- 6For garnishing, sprinkle on some caraway or sesame seeds or sprinkle the balls with paprika or cinnamon.Scrape the yogurt from the plate and form into balls.
These make a great appetizer, but can also be served as a meal on their own, or together with salad. This recipe makes 12 fritters.
- 1 bottle of canola oil
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons of butter, unsalted
- 1 cup of corn kernels, preferably fresh
- 1Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F, and heat canola oil to 375 degrees in a medium pot, using a thermometer.
- 2Sift the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- 3In a separate bowl, mix together egg, butter and milk, and then stir in the dry ingredients.
- 4Fold in the corn kernels and let the batter sit for a few minutes for better flavor.
- 5Place in a baking pan and keep warm inside the oven.Drop about a heaping tablespoon of the batter into the heated oil, frying about five pieces in one batch.Advertisement
Yogurt Dip Ingredients
- 2/3 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Mix all the ingredients together and chill before serving with corn fritters.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make Perfect Appetizers for Christmas. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 27, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_Perfect_Appetizers_for_Christmas
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make Perfect Appetizers for Christmas." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_Perfect_Appetizers_for_Christmas Accessed 27 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make Perfect Appetizers for Christmas." Accessed Mar 27, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_Perfect_Appetizers_for_Christmas.
Categories : Appetizers & Finger Foods
Recent edits by: Lynn, Maureen D.