Make Peace With Others
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Innocent Yogo, Eng and 1 other
The Bible tells us we all sin, and make mistakes. (Romans 3:23) We all have personal disagreements at times. Our Creator is a God of Peace. (Hebrews 13:20)(Psalms 83;18) He wants his earthly children to be happy and get along.
Steps to make peace
- 1Our Father dismisses our faults daily. (Colossians 3:13) Maybe you have a good reason for not talking to someone that caused you trouble. Do you feel he should apologize first? Is the person aware of what he did, or maybe he feels you are in the wrong. The problem will be that you both can't reach an agreement. We want to do our best to forgive if the problem is minor. Our Creator is merciful, and is slow to anger and we want to imitate that too. (Psalms 103:8) We are also told in God's Word that it is a beautiful thing on our part to pass over the mistakes of others. (Proverbs 19:11) Having insight into a situation is a good thing. Why did the person speak or act the way they did? Could they have been tired or not feeling well? Sometimes we need to make allowance for their faults.Forgive Freely. We are to try to put up with one another and be forgiving.Advertisement
- 2You may not want to approach this person because you feel angry or embarrassed. You may have the urge to talk to others about what happened too, and get their input on things.Talk It Out Matthew 18:15 tells us to go to the other person and make known what is bothering you.Advertisement
- 3(Romans 12:17, 20) If you attempt to make peace and they deny you at first, you may want to give up, but be patient. Some people need more time to cool down from a situation. We all have different temperaments. Keep trying to show love and kindness. (Romans 12:21)Be Long Suffering Return evil to no one, the bible says.
When you feel the problem is serious and you do not want to ignore it
Go to the person and talk it over. Handle the matter this way:
- 1It will only make matters worse. Follow the counsel in Matthew 5:23-24.Promptly Don't hold off from telling them.
- 2(Proverbs 25:9)Privately Try not to gossip with others about what happened.
- 3Your goal here is to want to make peace, not to win an argument.(Romans 14:19)Peacefully Don't always think about who is right and who is wrong.
To make peace with others is not an easy thing. But when we do, it makes things so much easier, and we have good relations with others! Making peace with a friend is hard but in fact can be easier than forgiving others for this person has a special bond with you in a relationship. Friends are hard to come by in this world so you shouldn't allow negative energy to split up a good friendship between you and another person. Making peace is very important as it pertains to a friend and you should work your hardest in order to mend a broken friendship for nothing is more important that keeping your friend in your life. Below are ways that can help you to make peace between you and your friend.
Take a Break from the person
If you are really angry with your friend then the best thing to do is to create space between you and your friend in order to gather the thoughts on the specific situation that has occurred between the two of you at this time. There are certain reasons to get space between you and your friend for it can lead to a calm agreement between both of you in regards to your situation.
- 1Creating space will allow you to calm down after you have had a fight between you and your friend.Advertisement
- 2Stepping away will not only allow you to cool off about the situation but you can also allow your friend to cool off about the situation.
- 3While the two of you are in front of each other you cannot in fact come up with a positive resolution in order to relieve the situation between the both of you in the situation.Get space from your friend so that the two of you can in fact get things together in order to gather your ideas on how you can relieve the situation.
- 4This can be helpful for you and your friend will have cooled off by this time. At this time you can also pick a time to reunite if the two of you are ready to talk about the situation at hand in order to help aid the situation between the two of you at this time.While you have taken space away from your friend it is totally OK to contact them to take over the phone or via any other source of communication.
- 5Do not meet with your friend if you still feel as if their is tension between the two of you when you talk to them while away for this tension can in fact bring up yet another argument when the both of you meet face to face.
- 6Do your best to get out all of your anger and views while talking to them on the phone in order to help relieve some tension between the two of you before you reunite in order to end all the tension between the both of you in the situation.
Reuniting With Your Friend
There will come a time after the break where the both of you will feel comfortable enough to reunite the relationship between the both of you at this time. When you reach this point the both of you should be calm enough to talk to each other without arguing upon meeting up again in this situation. Do not make this step unless you are completely sure that you and your friend are ready to make this step towards being friends once again in the future. Below are ways that you can in fact help to relieve the situation when the both of you are reunited.
- 1While being understanding you will choose your words carefully in order to help aid the situation rather than hurt the situation.Be understanding when talking to your son in order to not spark up another issue between them when you both of you reunite to hopefully smooth things over between the both of you in the situation.Advertisement
- 2Apologizing to your friend is a way of showing them that you recognize what you have done wrong which is a sign of growth and understanding.Apologize to your friend for what you know that you have done wrong for it will not always be something that your friend did but in fact something that you have done wrong to them in your current situation.
- 3Do not antagonize your friend into apologizing or admitting that they have in fact done something wrong to you in the situation for this may cause they to retaliate against you which can prove to damage the meeting between the both of you in the situation.
- 4While listening to your friend do not give off the impression that you are not fully listening to them or are bored with their speech.Listen to your friends side of the story in order to gain an understanding about how they feel about the situation for you may uncover things about how they feel which can help you to be a better friend to them in the future.
- 5Even though an issue may be old still go to the issue in order to mediate the situation to not be a burden on your or your friend after the meeting is adjourned between the two of you in the reunion.DO not leave the meeting with your friend with any rock unturned for the issues can come back later on to hurt the friendship so explore every issue while reuniting with them in order to get to every issue.
- 6After speaking with your friend do not say anything to others about your conversation for this can lead to rumors or gossip which can be altered against you which can cause harm to the friendship.
- 7Even if you have other friends let them know that the information from the meeting is staying between you and that friend unless it is agreed upon the both of you to tell other friends. There may be things in the meeting that your friend told you in confidence and even though you may have not told somebody you friend may think that you have leaked this information by talking about any aspect of the meeting to someone else during the situation.Keep what was said in the meeting between you and your friend between the both of you in order to keep the meting discrete.
- 8If they wish to avoid the situation and just move on then match the feelings of your friend if it is necessary.Do your best to understand you friend for they might not be ready to talk about situation at all for some do avoid reuniting with each other on the situation.
- 9If your friend does not wish to wait in order to talk about the situation then confront them immediately to help relieve the situation for some friends do not wish to allow the situation to boil over to another day.
- 10DO not in fact try to tip the scales to balance out blame towards your friend for at times it may just be you or them in the situation.
- 11When talking about the conflict ensure that you are not in fact using YOU when talking to your friend for this implies that you are placing blame on the other person which can escalate the situation further
- 12It is better to let out the anger rather than hold it in to blow up later on in the relationship.DO not hold back your feelings of anger towards your friend so that you can in fact let them know all of the feelings that you have in regards to that person.
- 13Do not say SORRY too many times even if you are sorry about the situation you can in fact say it a couple of times sincerely.DO not continue to say SORRY to your friend for this may cause them to believe that you are just trying to shut them up and end the situation.
- 14If you are fighting with your friend then do not in fact go with another group of friends to alienate yourself from your friends after the argument.
- 15Stay on one tone or feeling while talking to your friend instead of being calm with them and them yelling or screaming at them when having a conversation between you and your friend.Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make Peace With Others. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 23, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_Peace_With_Others
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make Peace With Others." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_Peace_With_Others Accessed 23 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make Peace With Others." Accessed Jun 23, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_Peace_With_Others.
Categories : Christianity
Recent edits by: Eng, Innocent Yogo, Charmed