Edited by Alex Cox, Laura Smith, Jaheim Martin
This breakfast favorite that has been popularly called "hotcakes" or "flapjacks" in the United States and Canada, "pikelets" in Australia and New Zealand, "filloas" or "frixuelos" in Spain, and "okonomiyaki" in Japan have been a delectable serving in every platter traced from way back in the 5th century. In fact, archaeological studies show that pancakes are considered to be the first cereal food consumed widely during the prehistoric times. A classic pancake is a round cake which usually appears thin, flat, and prepared using a batter made with baking powder and sugar cooked in a frying pan or griddle. They are typically prepared during breakfast, but can also be served as an appetizer, main course, and even snacks. This is usually served with sweet or savory fillings such as fruits, cheese, jam, potatoes, ground meat or chicken, and assorted vegetables such as cabbage, mushrooms, onions; and the like. Pancakes are also delectably served with your choice of toppings that include fruits such as apples, berries, and raisins as well as nuts, whipped cream, margarine, chocolate chips, butter, and maple syrup; among others.
Pancakes are also typically served during celebrations coined as "Shroud Tuesday" in France and the United States, which refers to consumption of the remaining fatty foods days before Lent. This is also popularly referred to as "Pancake Day" in New Zealand, Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom as well as "Pancake Tuesday" in countries such as Scotland and Ireland. In other countries, this is also coined as "Fat Tuesday" or "Mardi Gras". Pancake Day is indeed very popular in these countries to the point that "Pancake Races" are held annually in Olney, England which features women participants who simultaneously toss and catch pancakes while on the run. The race has also been opened and extended to divisions that would also include men and schoolchildren participants.
It's very easy to prepare classic pancakes that both adults and kids love. In fact, you can whip up a couple of these mouth-watering hotcakes for a quick turnaround time of 30 minutes. Here are some of the common and basic ingredients used in preparing your all-time favorite pancakes.
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (safflower or canola oil) (Coconut Oil gives a lovely flavor)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1Thoroughly sift the all-purpose flour together with other dry ingredients such as the sugar, salt, and baking powder.Advertisement
- 2Crack and beat the eggs in a bowl until fluffy.Advertisement
- 3Combine all the dry ingredients together with the beaten eggs.
- 4Melt the butter in a pan for 1 minute.
- 5Add the vanilla extract. Stir gently but refrain from mixing the batter too much. Overdoing it can result to a very smooth batter which will give you flatter rather than fluffy pancakes.Mix in the whole milk and melted butter into the dry ingredients to make up the batter.
- 6Be sure to use a non-stick pan and heat it to medium-low flame.
- 7Let the butter with oil sizzle.Melt butter into the pan and mix in a drop of vegetable oil to avoid the burnt smell of pancakes.
- 8Pour ¼ cup of the batter into the pan depending on your desired size of pancakes.
- 9Cook for around 2 minutes or wait until bubbles form on top and around the batter.
- 10You can repeat this process until you achieve desired deeper color, flavor, and texture.Flip your pancakes and cook the other side until golden brown.
- 11Serve immediately with your favorite toppings of maple syrup or whipped cream with fruits.Advertisement
- This recipe can make up to 12 pancakes. You can adjust the ingredients in accordance to the number of pancakes desired.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make Pancakes. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 27, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_Pancakes
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make Pancakes." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_Pancakes Accessed 27 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make Pancakes." Accessed May 27, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_Pancakes.
Categories : Cooking
Recent edits by: Laura Smith, Alex Cox