Make Homemade Insect Repellent for Dogs
Edited by Rose B, Lynn, Robbi, Christine dela Cruz and 1 other
People are not the only ones who have issues with mosquitos and other pests. It's a fact that they can also attack and cause problems for our pets.
Dogs can be attacked by biting insects like mosquitoes, biting flies, ticks and fleas. There are insect repellents on the market that are made of chemicals, but they are expensive.
They are also hazardous to our children and to those who may come into contact with them and then touch their face or consume food later. Inhaling those chemicals may also be harmful to your dog. Dogs are also fond of licking their fur, so it is best to make use of natural sprays to repel insects.
The creation of more natural pet care products is one of the ways that we can safeguard our pets and our family.
What you need:
- 18 ounces boiled waterAdvertisement
- 2½ teaspoon vegetable glycerinAdvertisement
- 38 ounces witch hazel
- 450 drops of essential oils, like eucalyptus, clove, citronella, rosemary, mint, tea tree, lavender, catnip, cedar, and/or lemongrass
- 5Spray bottle
To Make Natural Insect Repellent for Your Pets
- 1Put boiled water or distilled water in a spray bottle.Advertisement
- 2Then add the witch hazel in the spray bottle.
- 3Put in ½ teaspoon of glycerine.
- 4Try to mix clove, eucalyptus, cinnamon, rosemary, lavender and cajeput. Add 30 to 50 drops.Add several drops of essential oils.
- 5Shake well and spray on your dog.
Another spray that can be used with your dogs is a mixture of:
- 1¼ cup vinegarAdvertisement
- 22 cups of water
- 32 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 43 tablespoons of citronella oil
Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle, then spray generously on your dog's hair.
For Ticks and Fleas
If you have to deal with ticks and fleas on your dogs, you can make use of the spray containing essential oils, but the smell might be too strong for them and they may not like it. So, to get rid of ticks and fleas on your dogs, you can make use of orange peels.
Take the peels of several oranges and rub them on your dog's fur.
You can also use of coconut oil. This is the best oil to remove the ticks and fleas. Apply about ½ teaspoon of coconut oil on the fur every day.
Why Is It Important to Protect Your Dogs from Insects
- 1Dogs are like human beings. They can acquire diseases through insect bites, especially when their cages are located in dark and humid areas. They are even more prone to insect bites, especially when you allow them to go around without limitations, as they tend to go to darker areas that humans usually do not like going to.A good number of dog diseases actually start from insect bites.
- 2If your dog gets sick and an insect bites him and then you, the disease can easily be passed on to you. This is especially the case if your immune system happened to be rather weak at that time. Therefore, it is wiser to prevent dogs from getting sick, especially when you live or sleep very close to your pet dog.Dog diseases can also be passed on to human beings.
- 3Human beings like keeping their house clean and sanitized all the time to prevent germs from entering. It should be the same as with your pet dog. Aside from using insect repellent, regular cleanliness would be able to help a lot in preventing all types of diseases.It is good to practice good hygiene and sanitation, even with pets.
- 4There are still cases that insects are still able to bite them. If you notice some symptoms of a particular disease, it is best to bring your dog to the veterinarian the soonest possible time to have him properly diagnosed.Even if you are using insect repellent, do not be too confident that your dogs won't get sick.
- 5Dogs are not like people who can really take care of themselves in terms of not ingesting harmful chemicals. If you make your homemade insect repellent with some harmful chemicals, your dog may be able to lick it by accident. Therefore, stay away from those components as much as possible.Avoid using components that will be extremely harmful when digested.Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make Homemade Insect Repellent for Dogs. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_Homemade_Insect_Repellent_for_Dogs
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make Homemade Insect Repellent for Dogs." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_Homemade_Insect_Repellent_for_Dogs Accessed 24 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make Homemade Insect Repellent for Dogs." Accessed Jun 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_Homemade_Insect_Repellent_for_Dogs.
Categories : Dogs
Recent edits by: Christine dela Cruz, Robbi, Lynn