Make Home Made Vegetable Beef Soup
Edited by Eng, Lynn, Rafah Perlado
It isn't very often that you find a comfort food that is actually healthy. With a steaming bowl of hearty vegetable beef soup you get almost everything that you need for a balanced meal right in one bowl. A bowl of hot soup seems to make everything seem better, especially on a cold day. This is also a great way to go if you are cooking for a crowd. You can easily make as much or as little as you want. This soup goes nicely with any sort of bread or rolls, particularly if they are homemade. Garnish with some fresh parsley, croutons, or grated cheddar cheese for an extra touch of flavor.
- Prep. Time: 1 hour
- Cooking Time: 1-3 hours
- Serves 6-8 people
Recipe by R Moore
- 11 pound lean beef, cut into ½ inch cubesAdvertisement
- 23 quarts beef stock (3 large cans or boxes)Advertisement
- 34 cups tomato juice or vegetable juice cocktail
- 43 stalks celery, finely diced
- 51 medium onion, finely diced
- 64 large carrots, cut in medallions (1/4 inch thick)
- 73 potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 8¼ head green cabbage, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 91 can cut green beans
- 101 can whole kernel corn
- 118 oz.(1/2 bag) frozen sweet peas
- 121 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 132 bay leaves
- 142 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley (1 teaspoon dried)
- 151 teaspoon chopped fresh basil (1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 16Salt and pepper to taste
- 171 tablespoon olive oil
- 1In a large soup pot or small stock pot, place olive oil, beef cubes, and onion.
- 2This takes about five to ten minutes.Cook over medium heat until evenly browned, turning frequently.
- 3Add beef stock, tomato juice, diced celery, sliced carrots, minced garlic, sliced cabbage, bay leaves, chopped parsley, and chopped basil.
- 4Add these depending on your desired taste.Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Bring soup to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- 6Once the soup is boiling, reduce heat to medium, cover, and allow it to simmer for about 30-40 minutes more.
- 7Add diced potatoes.
- 8When the potatoes are fork tender, add green beans, corn kernel, and thawed peas and bring back to a boil.
- 9Remove bay leaves and serve.
Homemade White Bread Roll
- Prep. Time: 2 hour
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Serves 8
- 12 cups unbleached white bread flour (set aside extra flour for dusting)Advertisement
- 21 teaspoon iodized salt
- 32 teaspoons yeast
- 42 tablespoons softened butter or lard
- 51/3 cup warm milk
- 61 cup warm water
- 7oil for greasing
- 8extra rice flour for dusting
- 1In a mixing bowl, combine unbleached white bread flour, iodized salt and yeast.
- 2You may use a fork, pastry blender or two knives.Cut in the butter or lard until it forms coarse crumbs.
- 3In a separate bowl, mix together the warm milk and water.
- 4Mix with your bare hands until it forms into a dough. Form into a ball.Add the milk mixture into the flour mixture.
- 5You will know the dough is elastic enough when you poke the dough and it bounces back. Then it is good to go.Dust your work area (surface) with flour and knead for about 20-25 minutes, or until the dough is elastic and smooth.
- 6Put in a warm place. Let it rise for 1 hour and 30 minutes.Place the ball of dough back into the bowl and cover with a clean damp cheese cloth or cling film.
- 7When the dough has risen and doubled its size, knead again for a few minutes, until it is soft, elastic and smooth.
- 8Roll into small balls and flatten lightly, using your palm. Place them close together on a prepared baking tray.Cut the dough into 8 equal parts.
- 9Cover it again with the cheese cloth or cling wrap until it has doubled in size.
- 10Dust the top with rice flour and put into the preheated oven (220 degrees Celsius, 425 degrees Fahrenheit, or gas mark 7).
- If you end up with too much soup (as is often the case), it tastes even better the next day. It also freezes quite well.
- For quick lunches, freeze some in individual serving bowls and simply heat them in the microwave for a fresh, hot lunch.
- It is also very versatile and any leftovers can be used to make a variety of different dishes.
- For a lovely pot pie, simply thicken the broth of any leftover soup and place it in a prepared pie crust. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the contents are hot and bubbly.
Note: Photos above are just sample brands of the ingredients. This does not mean that the same brands are needed in preparing this recipe. You can always change things according to what you prefer.
The pictures are just sample photos on how to execute a certain procedure.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make Home Made Vegetable Beef Soup. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 26, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_Home_Made_Vegetable_Beef_Soup
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make Home Made Vegetable Beef Soup." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_Home_Made_Vegetable_Beef_Soup Accessed 26 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make Home Made Vegetable Beef Soup." Accessed May 26, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_Home_Made_Vegetable_Beef_Soup.