Make Gorgeous Sunflower Topiary
Edited by Fleurista, priya, Eng, Rushell
- 1 Basic Topiary Shape
- 2 Steps
- 3 Video: Make Gorgeous Sunflower Topiary Basic Topiary Shape
- 4 Adding Lower Foliage Flowers and Raffia Tie
- 5 Steps
- 6 Video: Make Gorgeous Sunflower Topiary Adding Lower Foliage Flowers and Raffia Tie
- 7 Adding Twigs and Final Touches
- 8 Steps
- 9 Video: Make Gorgeous Sunflower Topiary Adding Twigs and Final Touches
- 10 Comments
Basic Topiary Shape
Welcome to VisiHow. Today, we want to show you how to make a sunflower topiary with roses and crabapples. For foliage, we've used wild laurel.
- 1Let's talk about the floral foam experience.Since we're only doing one arrangement, we don't want to waste the floral foam. It's really important not to waste. We're going to measure what we need and cut it down first, so we know what we're going to be using before we soak it in water. We're actually going to use all the pieces we cut off as well, and we're also going to save what we don't use. We don't want to keep any wet floral foam because it gets bacteria in it, and it's just gross.Advertisement
- 7Next, we're going to put 2 pieces of floral tape in a cross over the foam.This is a waterproof clear floral tape. We could use the green or the white too. There are many different colours. The clear tape is good for this kind of use because it gives us the option to put as much space for putting in the flowers.
- 13Thanks for watching VisiHow.If you have any questions or comments, leave them in the section below.
Video: Make Gorgeous Sunflower Topiary Basic Topiary Shape
Adding Lower Foliage Flowers and Raffia Tie
Welcome to VisiHow. Now, we've already added some foliage. The foliage we're using is called wild laurel. It's the cousin of something we use in floral design called myrtle, and it smells fantastic. It really looks like another green used in floral design called pittosporum. So, it kind of takes that place. When making an arrangement similar to this in a shop, we would probably reach for the pittosporum, the green, not the variegated that's used in this case. It's a really nice green, and where we've placed the greens, it's coming sideways out of the foam.
- 1Now, we're placing the little garden roses all around because this is going to be considered an all around arrangement.We'll look at where we're going to put them, and then right before placing them, we'll give the stems a fresh cut so that the stems can drink. Then the arrangement will last as long as it can.
- 4Before we add the crabapples, we're going to put raffia around the sunflower stems.It's very nice. It gives the topiary a very natural look. A lot of people choose to use raffia instead of ribbons. Some flower shops don't use anything but raffia, as they just don't like ribbons. With this arrangement, we've crossed it along the middle part of the topiary to secure the sunflowers together, and also to give it a whimsical look.
- 6Also, we're using the foliage of everything that we've picked.We're going to add the foliage of the sunflowers towards the end, and also the foliage from the crabapple tree. It harmonizes with the crabapples themselves because that's what we would see in nature. That kind of leaf would be next to that kind of berry.
- 9Thanks for watching VisiHow.If you have questions or comments, leave them in the section below.
Video: Make Gorgeous Sunflower Topiary Adding Lower Foliage Flowers and Raffia Tie
Adding Twigs and Final Touches
Welcome to VisiHow. Now, we're just turning the container and placing foliage where there needs to be additional coverage, but not more than that. We're just trying to use the leaves, and place them in a way that is going to do what we need it to do, but no more. We just want to cover the mechanics - the tape, the foam, or whatever else we may have used. If we don't have floral foam, there are lots of things we can use, such as chicken wire. It's harder to use chicken wire for an arrangement like this, but you can do a lot with chicken wire. We could also have used some old-fashioned floral frogs.
- 3Now, we're working toward the top, and we're fluffing out the flower heads.We'll try really hard not to damage any of them as we do this. Also, we don't know how some flowers are going to perform, especially wildflowers. Therefore, if we're making an arrangement with wildflowers, we can put them in water overnight before adding them to an arrangement.
- 5Let's step back and look at what we have so far.We are going to add one more thing, and that is a twig. I really like the topiary, but felt it needed something else. Let's get a twig and cut it down to where we want it. Normally, we would put something like this in first, and not necessarily at the end. Then we'd put the sunflowers in around it. However, in this case, we're going renegade!
- 6So, we're putting the twig in behind the sunflowers.One of the reasons we did this is because we weren't sure how the heads would perform. The twig will help to give them a brace. It will not only make the overall arrangement look much larger by adding negative space above and around the sunflowers, but it will also help to support.
- 7Twigs and sticks look great in almost any arrangement.What we might normally use for a twig in floral design would probably be a curly willow. Those would probably be available, and they're really gorgeous. In this demonstration, we used a twig we already had, and this twig is not even alive. It's dead, but it looks really nice within this arrangement.
- 8The following items were used in creating this arrangement - "Flowers used In This Design - Wild Sunflowers, 5-7 Stems, each stem with at least 3 blooms.Wild Roses, 2-3 stems, similar to Sweetheart Roses in floral design. Crab Apple branch cuttings, 1-2 small. Greens - Wild Laurel/Bayberry-Sunflower leaves."
- 9Thanks for watching VisiHow.I you have any questions or comments, leave them in the section below.Advertisement
Video: Make Gorgeous Sunflower Topiary Adding Twigs and Final Touches
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.