Make Gluten Free Cookies
Edited by JMA, Rebecca M., Lynn, Eng and 1 other
The following recipe shows you how to make a gluten free sugar cookie recipe that can also work as a base for many of your favorite cookie recipes. It will be important that you follow the directions carefully for these cookies to turn out properly. You will notice the flavor of these cookies will be very similar to your favorite sugar cookie recipe with a minor variance in the texture of the cookie.
- 1 cup softened salted butter
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 tbsp. gluten free vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. xantan gum
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup ground rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1Begin with your two types of sugar and place them in a large bowl.Now, add in your butter and mix them with a blender until creamy.Advertisement
- 2You will then add in the vanilla until it is well blended, then add in the egg and allow the mixture to turn smooth.Advertisement
- 3Now, add the remaining dry ingredients into the mix and allow them to blend until a large dough ball has formed.You will want to ensure that the ball does end up having a smooth texture and that all the ingredients that you are mixing in appear to be well blended.
- 4Divide the ball in half and put it in the fridge until it has chilled.This will take about an hour. Ensure that the dough is properly covered with plastic, so it won't end up absorbing any of the flavors in your fridge. If you decide you will be making smaller batches at a time, the dough can be broken down into fourths instead of halves.
- 5In an hour, turn your oven on to 350 degrees and allow it to fully preheat.
- 6On your counter, sprinkle a little flour on some parchment paper and the edge of your cookies.When you roll out your dough this will be important as it will help to avoid the dough from sticking to things.
- 7Now, take a section of chilled dough and roll it out on the parchment paper until it is about a quarter inch thick.You can then begin to take the cookie cutters and cut out your individual cookies and place them on a prepared cookie sheet.
- 8If you will be using any decorative sugars, now is the time to sprinkle them on.Otherwise, you can place them into the oven as they are. They will need to be in there for about 10 minutes or until they are golden brown. Then move them to a wire rack to cool.
- 9You can ice the cookies as soon as they are cool to the touch.The recipe can make up to 4 dozen cookies, depending on how thick you make them and the size of your cookie cutters.Advertisement
- Until you are used to baking the cookies, try a few at a time in the oven. That can help you when it comes to baking times.
- Icing these cookies can add some rich depth to them, make sure to use a gluten free recipe!
- Be sure to pay close attention to all ingredients being using and determine if there is a food allergy.
- Notify anyone you will be serving the gluten free recipe to about the contents of the cookies to ensure they can be safely enjoyed.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.