Make Fruity Breakfast Smoothies
Edited by Robbi, Eng, Christine dela Cruz
The health benefits of fresh fruit are well documented. Did you know that frozen fruits lose very little of their health giving benefits? That is true because most are not treated with preservatives and because they are frozen quickly after harvest.
The antioxidants and healthy vitamins and nutrients in the fruit are present (although sometimes in slightly lower amounts) whether you are using fresh or frozen fruit. That's enough to get most of us having some type of fruit for breakfast or as a quick snack during the day.
Not only is fruit healthier than that processed snack, it also lasts longer, keeps you from getting hungry and usually has fewer calories than other snacks you might take in.
A smoothie is the perfect way to start the day and the taste is something that children in particular love. Here are a few fruity smoothie recipes to get you started.
Cranberry Splash Fruit Smoothie
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 1 medium peach, washed and quartered
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
To Make Your Smoothie
- 1Drop the ingredients into your high speed or regular kitchen blenderAdvertisement
- 2Insert the top tightly and place your hand on the top to ensure it remains in place.Advertisement
- 3Pulse a few times on low speed to chop the whole fruit.
- 4Increase to high speed and process until smooth.
Iced Peach Breakfast or Dessert Smoothie
- 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup frozen peaches, partially thawed
- 1/2 cup apricot nectar
- 1/4 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup blackberries, fresh or frozen
To Make Your Smoothie
- 1Add all ingredients except for blackberries and raspberries to high speed or kitchen blender and cover tightly.Advertisement
- 2Pulse to break up peaches.
- 3Increase to high speed and process until smooth.
- 4Pour into a cup and garnish with raspberries and blackberries or drop whole berries into the smoothie for a little added texture.
Health Benefits of Fruits
- 1It satisfies craving for sweets, without elevating your blood sugar levels.Fruits satisfies a person's sweet tooth but at the same time, it does not contain those unhealthy sugar because it is mainly just fructose. Therefore, if you take in fruits on a regular basis, such as having a fruit smoothie for breakfast or munching on fruits after or in between meals, it will prevent random and unnecessary craving for sweets and other foods rich in carbohydrates.
- 2It is rich in fiber.Fruits are the best source of fiber, along with vegetables. Fiber is very important especially in proper excretion of wastes and other unhealthy substances in the body. Having fiber-rich foods in the morning will help condition your body for the day and you are on the right track.
- 3It helps avoid overeating.If you start you day right by eating a good amount of fruits during breakfast, you will notice that you will not be motivated to snack in between. You will be able to regulate your diet better. Also, since there is no craving for in-between snacks, you are able to avoid the temptation of eating unhealthy food.
- 4It gives your body its daily dose of vitamins.Fruits contain a lot of vitamins and minerals. Therefore, if you start you day by taking several fruits for breakfast, you are setting yourself on the right foot. You boost your immune system with vitamins and therefore, you are healthier enough to fight the different bodily stress that you may encounter through the day.
- 5It gives you enough energy to be able to work through your day.The combination of vitamins, minerals, fiber, sugar, and the other components of fruits will ensure that you have the right amount of energy that will keep you going through the day in spite of the many activities that are lined up for you. You feel more energized and overall, fruits also affect your mood and mindset for the day.
- 6It makes your immune system stronger.If you compare yourself to your colleague who does not take as much fruits in a day, you will notice that you are less prone to get sick. This is because fruits boost your immune system and your body becomes more active in getting rid of free radicals that will harm your body.Advertisement
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Beverages, Drinks, Smoothies, & Cocktails
Recent edits by: Eng, Robbi