Edited by Angel Hammer, Anonymous, Lynn, Robbi and 3 others
Nothing evokes the holiday spirit like a nice glass of eggnog by the fire! Whether you're enjoying your holiday drinks at a party or from the comfort of your own home, why not give it a whirl and try your hand at your own eggnog recipe? This is a basic guideline for classic eggnog.
You should feel inspired to tweak this recipe to fit your personality, because just like a cup of coffee, eggnog can be changed and suited to fit every individual! Try adding cinnamon, whipped cream, or perhaps a sprig of mint. Happy Holidays and enjoy.
- 1 pint of whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream (chilled)
- 1/4 tsp. of powdered nutmeg
- 1 tsp. of vanilla (true vanilla extract is better than imitation vanilla)
- 1 medium sized bowl
- 1 medium sauce pan
- wire strainer
- 1In a medium bowl, beat/whisk egg yolks by hand with a fork or wire whisk for 3 minutes or until thoroughly blended.You will know yolks are ready when the color appears to have slightly lightened.Advertisement
- 2Whisk the milk, sugar, and vanilla in a medium saucepan, over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.Advertisement
- 3Combine the two mixtures slowly, while stirring constantly.Let cook for approximately 22 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- 4Use a wire strainer to drain the mixture into a bowl.Chill for 30 minutes. After mixture has chilled add heavy cream and nutmeg.
- 5Stir well, serve, and enjoy!
- You can use 2 percent milk if you choose! The classic version of this recipe is for adults only and requires 1/2 a cup of bourbon. visihow.com does not promote the use of alcohol, but if you choose to make the adult version (age 21 and older), please drink responsibly!
- Eggnog is not recommended for pregnant women due to the presence of raw egg yolks. To most people eggnog is considered safe to consume, but the FDA does recommend that raw eggs be consumed with caution due to the risk of contamination by salmonella. Pasteurized eggs, or grade A/AA eggs treated by an approved method to destroy salmonella are recommended.
When Can You Serve Eggnog
- 1Breakfast.Eggnog can be a good alternative, especially if your kids are rather picky and do not want to eat plain egg in the morning. Making an eggnog will appear like their favorite smoothie and it will be more attractive for them to take. A small glass of eggnog is rich in protein and calcium which will be good for your kids.
- 2Snacks.Eggnog is a good replacement for your favorite cafe latte. If you are the type who is starting to cut on your caffeine intake yet you still crave for the typical creamed drinks in coffee shops, why not just make your own eggnog? It will have the same taste as those iced latte drinks, with a little twist. Also, creating one does not take a long time. You may want to prepare a cup just before you go and place it in your favorite smoothie takeaway container.
- 3Dinner.If you are cutting down on your meals and would like to take something non-fattening at dinner time yet filling enough not to make you crave and get hungry in the middle of the night, you may want to just drink a glass of eggnog. Use a non-fat milk instead so that it won't affect your diet. You will notice that you will easily get full and you would not want to eat until you wake up for breakfast. Egg in itself is not going to make you fat, so there is no need to worry that you will destroy your diet.
== How to Make a Low-Fat and Low-Calorie Eggnog ==
- 4Use non-fat milk or skim milk.If you use the regular type of milk, that may affect your diet significantly as that will contain some fats and a high level of calories.
- 5Replace white sugar with a low-calorie sweetener like Splenda or healthier sugar like brown sugar or muscovado.If you use the usual refined sugar, that can really be fattening because it is above the sugar level that your body actually needs.
- 6Let go of the cream and use cinnamon sprinkles instead.If you want a really low-calorie eggnog, just forget about the cream and opt for cinnamon instead. Cinnamon will give you that extra flavor that you want out of your drink so it won't also taste bland without the cream.Advertisement
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Beverages, Drinks, Smoothies, & Cocktails
Recent edits by: Christine dela Cruz, Eng, Robbi