Make Divinity Candy
Edited by Rebecca M., Eng, Lynn
Divinity candy is one of those treats that still seems to be hitting the mainstream in some places. A lot of people couldn't imagine the holidays without it, and many others are just learning what it is.
Regardless of how well acquainted you are with this treat, it is a great cooking project to try out, and it isn't a difficult homemade candy, although it does require a little patience and perhaps a couple tries before you perfect your method.
If you are looking for something different to serve this holiday season, set aside about an hour and try this amazing treat �" the outcome is well worth what you put into it.
- White Granulated Sugar
- Light Corn Syrup
- Extract in Your Flavor of Choice
- Baking Sheet
- Aluminum Foil
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- Mixer (A stand mixer will make things much easier.)
- Candy Thermometer
- 1Take 2 large eggs and separate the whites from the yolks.Be very careful to not break the yolks, since any amount of yolk will prevent the whites from fluffing the way you want them to. Set the whites to the side in a bowl and allow them to come to room temperature. (You can place them into the bowl you'll be mixing In.)Advertisement
- 2Place aluminum foil on a baking sheet and give it a light but even coating of the nonstick spray.Advertisement
- 3In the saucepan, mix 3 cups of granulated sugar, 1/2 cup light corn syrup, and 2/3 warm water together.
- 4Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly.Once the sugar is completely dissolved, stop stirring and do not stir the syrup again until your candy thermometer tells you it has reached 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 5Using a handheld electric mixer or stand mixer, beat the egg whites until it can form a stiff peak.Basically, when the mixer creates a peak, and the whites don't immediately begin to lose their shape, you're ready for the next step.
- 6While keeping the mixer running, slowly add about half of the syrup from the saucepan into the egg whites.Go very slowly, and make sure the mix is being beaten constantly!
- 7Place the saucepan with the remaining half of syrup back on the stove, and continue heating it until the thermometer reads 270 degrees.
- 8Again, slowly pour the rest of the syrup into the egg white mixture with the mixer running.
- 9Keep the mixer running until the candy is shiny and holds its shape because it is so thick and fluffy.
- 10If you are going to use an extract, such as vanilla, lemon, or whatever your favorite flavor is, add 1 teaspoon now, along with up to one cup of nuts or other optional additions.
- 11Take a couple spoons and drop lumps of the mixture onto the baking sheet that you prepared.
- 12Allow the divinity to cool completely, and then enjoy your homemade candy!Advertisement
- You can also pour your divinity candy into a baking pan that you have prepared with non-stick spray, and then cut into squares once it is cool.
- Humid days are very bad for this recipe, so make sure you're making divinity on a dry day.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make Divinity Candy. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_Divinity_Candy
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make Divinity Candy." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_Divinity_Candy Accessed 25 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make Divinity Candy." Accessed Mar 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_Divinity_Candy.