Make Creamy Soursop Chicken
Edited by Mian Sheilette Ong, Rebecca M., Lynn, Eng
Soursop, guanavana, or guyabano is a thorny, green to greenish brown fruit that is creamy, sour, and sweet, all at the same time. It is often used in candies and smoothies because of its refreshing taste. When you cut the fruit open, the white flesh may remind you of the coconut, but when you taste it, it is more like a combination of pineapples, bananas, and strawberries. That is why this tropical fruit can be used in savory dishes as well. Combining soursop with meats is not a popular practice. However, once you try it, you will experience a brand new taste sensation. Soursop is also known for its anti-inflammatory, anticancer, antinociceptive, anti-diabetic, cytotoxic, and antileishmanial. Knowing how to make creamy soursop chicken is definitely a delicious start to being healthier. Once you're done with this recipe, you'll be a star in your kitchen and a beacon of guilt-free eating to your family.
Serves: 6-8 people
Preparation and cooking time: 55 minutes
How to Make Creamy Soursop Chicken
- 1 kilo (2.2 pounds) of chopped chicken (any combination of chicken parts will do)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of high quality fish sauce (you can add more as you go, according to taste)
- 1 tablespoon of coco sugar
- 1 medium soursop (peeled,de-seeded, and chopped)
- 4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 1 white onion (chopped)
- 3 medium potatoes (cubed)
- 2 medium carrots (cubed)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 small chilies (minced)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of vegetable oil or canola oil for sauteing
- 2 cups (500 ml) of water
Garnish: Chopped chives
How to Make It
- 1Heat up a 28-inch non-stick pan with cover and pour in 1 tablespoon of cooking oil.Advertisement
- 2Brown the chicken pieces.Advertisement
- 3Saute them with the chicken.Add in the onions, garlic, chillies, and red bell peppers.
- 4Saute some more.Pour in a tablespoon of fish sauce.
- 5Cover the pan and let it simmer for ten minutes.Add in a cup of water.
- 6Simmer until the vegetables are tender.Add in the sugar, the rest of the fish sauce, a cup of water, carrots, and potatoes.
- 7Add in the prepared soursop.
- 8Simmer until the consistency of the sauce is thick and creamy.
- 9Balance the taste by adding more water, more sugar, or more fish sauce.
- 10Simmer for another five minutes.
- 11Garnish with chopped chives and toasted garlic.
- 12Serve hot and enjoy!Advertisement
You can serve this dish with any kind of cooked rice. You can also have pita bread or tortillas on the side. Ice cold beverages are perfect with this tropical dish. It can be your main course for lunch or dinner. However, you can also have it as an appetizer.
- Chop and de-seed the soursop the night before you cook it. Just make sure you place it in an air-tight food container before you put it in your fridge.
- Choose a very ripe soursop. The skin should be soft to the touch. The riper the soursop, the creamier it will be for the dish.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make Creamy Soursop Chicken. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 27, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_Creamy_Soursop_Chicken
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make Creamy Soursop Chicken." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_Creamy_Soursop_Chicken Accessed 27 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make Creamy Soursop Chicken." Accessed Mar 27, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_Creamy_Soursop_Chicken.
Categories : Meats & Main Dishes
Recent edits by: Lynn, Rebecca M., Mian Sheilette Ong