Make Creamy Soursop Chicken
Edited by Mian Sheilette Ong, Rebecca M., Lynn, Eng and 1 other
Soursop, guanavana, or guyabano is a thorny, green to greenish brown fruit that is creamy, sour, and sweet, all at the same time. It is often used in candies and smoothies because of its refreshing taste. When you cut the fruit open, the white flesh may remind you of a coconut, but when you taste it, it is more like a combination of pineapples, bananas, and strawberries. That is why this tropical fruit can be used in savory dishes as well. Combining soursop with meats is not a popular practice, however, once you try it, you will experience a brand new taste sensation. Soursop is also known for its anti-inflammatory, anticancer, antinociceptive, anti-diabetic, cytotoxic, and antileishmanial. Knowing how to make creamy soursop chicken is definitely a delicious start to eating healthier. Once you're done with this recipe, you'll be a star in your kitchen and give your family the enjoyment of guilt-free eating.
Serves: 6-8 people
Preparation and cooking time: 55 minutes
How to Make Creamy Soursop Chicken
- 1 kilo (2.2 pounds) of chopped chicken (any combination of chicken parts will do)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of high quality fish sauce (you can add more as you go, according to taste)
- 1 tablespoon of coco sugar
- 1 medium soursop (peeled, de-seeded, and chopped)
- 4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 1 white onion (chopped)
- 3 medium potatoes (cubed)
- 2 medium carrots (cubed)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 small chilies (minced)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of vegetable oil or canola oil for sautéing
- 2 cups (500 ml) of water
- chopped chives (garnish)
- 1Heat a 28-inch non-stick pan with cover and pour in 1 tablespoon of cooking oil.Advertisement
- 2Brown the chicken pieces.Advertisement
- 3Add the onions, garlic, chillies, and red bell peppers to the chicken, and sauté.
- 4Sauté some more.Add a tablespoon of fish sauce.
- 5Cover the pan and let it simmer for ten minutes.Add a cup of water.
- 6Simmer until the vegetables are tender.Add the sugar, the rest of the fish sauce, a cup of water, carrots, and potatoes.
- 7Add the already prepared soursop.
- 8Simmer until the consistency of the sauce is thick and creamy.
- 9Balance the taste by adding more water, more sugar, or more fish sauce.
- 10Simmer for another five minutes.
- 11Garnish with chopped chives and toasted garlic.
- 12Serve hot and enjoy!Advertisement
You can serve this dish with any kind of cooked rice. You can also have pita bread or tortillas on the side. Ice-cold beverages are perfect with this tropical dish. It can be your main course for lunch or dinner. However, you can also have it as an appetizer.
- Chop and de-seed the soursop the night before you cook it. Just make sure you place it in an air-tight food container before you put it in your fridge.
- Choose a very ripe soursop. The skin should be soft to the touch. The riper the soursop, the creamier the dish will be.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make Creamy Soursop Chicken. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_Creamy_Soursop_Chicken
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make Creamy Soursop Chicken." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_Creamy_Soursop_Chicken Accessed 25 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make Creamy Soursop Chicken." Accessed Jun 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_Creamy_Soursop_Chicken.
Categories : Meats & Main Dishes
Recent edits by: Eng, Lynn, Rebecca M.