Make Cookie Bars
Edited by Seighart, Rebecca M., Eng
Making cookie bars is often a great alternative to making drop cookies. You get the same great taste without the hassle of spooning cookie dough onto trays and spending hours baking tray after tray of cookies. You simply spread the batter into a baking pan and cut them into individual bars when they are cooled. It's an easy way to prepare snacks for large groups without spending your whole day in a hot kitchen.
Spiced Apple Date Bars
- 1/2 cup softened (not melted) butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 cups of applesauce
- 3/4 cup dates, finely chopped
- 3/4 finely chopped walnuts( or the nut of your choice)
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground cloves (1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.and grease or lightly spray a 9x13 baking panAdvertisement
- 2Cream butter with an electric mixer at medium speed.Advertisement
- 3Gradually add sugar and continue to mix until light and fluffy
- 4Beat in vanilla and egg until combined
- 5Stir in applesauce until just mixed.
- 6In a small bowl, mix baking soda, flour, cloves, cinnamon, and flour
- 7Add gradually to the creamed mixture until a stiff batter forms.
- 8Gently stir in dates and nuts.
- 9Spread batter evenly into prepared pan
- 10Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until browned and a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- 11Cut into evenly sized squares after they have cooled and enjoy your healthy treat.
Delicious Golden Energy Bars
- 6 ½ Tablespoons of butter or margarine (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup golden syrup (If you can't find golden syrup, substitute with 1part light corn syrup and 1 part light molasses or honey.)
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cup whole grain or wheat flour
- 1/2 cup powdered, non-fat milk
- 4 Tablespoons of wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced, fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup 2% milk (liquid form)
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup dried apricots(chopped)
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup toasted almond slivers
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.Advertisement
- 2Spray or grease a 9x13 baking pan
- 3Cream the butter, sugar, golden syrup, and egg together.
- 4In a different bowl, combine whole wheat flour, powdered milk, baking powder and baking soda, wheat germ, and salt.Combine well.
- 5Mix dry ingredients and milk alternately to the creamed ingredients.
- 6Stir in the raisins, oats, apricots, and half of the toasted almonds.
- 7Spoon batter into baking pan and evenly spread into corners.
- 8Sprinkle remainder of toasted almonds.
- 9Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.Check center with a toothpick to determine if they are done.
- 10Leave in pan until completely cool.
Easiest Ever Pumpkin Bars
- 1 cup corn oil
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 3/4 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of pureed pumpkin (canned or fresh)
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 6 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 stick of margarine, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of powdered (confectioner's) sugar
- 1/2 cup dried fruits or nuts of your choice (optional)
Mix together the butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and milk. Add powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time with your mixer on low speed. Use additional powdered sugar if the frosting is too thin. If the frosting is to stiff, add more milk a few drops at a time.
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large bowl, mix together the oil, eggs, and sugar Add the pumpkin and mix until just combined.
- 3In a small mixing bowl, combine salt, baking soda, cinnamon, baking soda, and flour then mix well.If desired, add walnuts or raisins.
- 4Pour batter into an ungreased 15 x 10-inch shallow baking pan.
- 5Bake for 20 to 25 minutes
- 6Frost when pan is completely cool.
Raspberry Coconut Granola Bars
- 1 Stick cold butter cut into pieces
- 2 Cups granola style cereal (no fruit)
- 2 Cups grated coconut (divided)
- 1/2 Cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cups finely crushed pecans
- 1- 12 oz. jar of raspberry jam (or preserves)
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Liberally grease or spray a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- 3Using a large bowl, combine cereal, 1 cup of the coconut, flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, and pecans.
- 4Add butter, and using a pastry cutter, cut it into the cereal mixture until it becomes crumbly.
- 5Take 1/3 of the mixture and set it aside.Press the remaining 2/3 into the baking pan.
- 6Bake for 8 to 10 minutes and remove from oven.
- 7Spread entire jar of raspberry preserves evenly over the crust.
- 8Sprinkle remaining coconut over top of preserves.
- 9Top with the remaining cereal mixture and return to the oven.
- 10Bake for 15 minutes or until the filling begins to bubble around the edges.
- 11Remove and place pan on a rack for cooling.Wait until the bars are completely cool before cutting.
Raspberry Chocolate Bars
- 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar
- 1 stick melted butter
- 2 1/2 cups coconut flakes
- 1-14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/4 cup raspberry jam (or any kind of jam or preserves that you like)
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (semi-sweet will work as well)
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Generously grease a 9- inch x 13-inch baking pan.
- 3Combine melted butter, graham cracker crumbs, and sugar in a small bowl.Mix with a fork until crumbs are moistened.
- 4Press the mixture into the prepared pan.
- 5Spread coconut over top of crust and drizzle the condensed milk evenly over the top.
- 6Bake until lightly browned.(about 20 minutes)
- 7When the crust is done, cool completely and then spread jam over the top.
- 8Sprinkle hazelnuts over the jam.
- 9Using the microwave or a double boiler, melt chocolate and white chips (separately) and stir until all lumps are gone.
- 10Place each kind of chocolate in a sandwich bag and cut a small piece off of one corner.Using your improvised pastry bag, drizzle the dark chocolate over your bars. Repeat process with the white chocolate.
- 11Refrigerate bars for 45 minutes or until chocolate is hard.Cut into appropriately sized squares.Advertisement
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Desserts
Recent edits by: Rebecca M., Seighart