Make Calls on Samsung Galaxy S4 Marshmallow vs Lollipop vs Jelly Bean / Kitkat
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Charmed, John Israel DeleÃ±a, Lynn and 12 others
- 1 This is part of the VisiHow series on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. You can visit the main VisiHow on how to USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 for a full list of S4 VisiHow Articles
- 2 Make a Call (Marshmallow)
- 3 Call Settings (Marshmallow)
- 4 Make a Conference Call (Marshmallow)
- 5 Make a Call (Lollipop)
- 6 Call settings (Lollipop)
- 7 Make a Conference Call (Lollipop)
- 8 Make a Call (Jelly Bean / Kitkat)
- 9 Available Actions During a Call
- 10 Use Fixed Dialing Number
- 11 Use call barring
- 12 How to Make Conference Call on your Samsung Galaxy S4
- 13 How to get Call Log Symbol and Contacts in Samsung S4
- 14 How to know Call is Waiting During Outgoing calls on Samsung S4
- 15 Tips and Tricks
- 16 Questions and Answers
- 16.1 What is the default password for Galaxy S4? I don't know the password to unlock call barring?
- 16.2 Can't hear the caller and he can't hear me?
- 16.3 I have tried ending a conference call, but when I tap the menu button - Manage Call - doesn't pop up. I just get Message, Memo and Contacts. What should I do?
- 16.4 OK if I'm talking to someone and someone else calls me and I click over and answer their call, How do I join both of the calls?
- 16.5 This feature is not an option. Why isn't it?
- 16.6 In the step: "Enter a password." can not disable Call Barring...need input password?
- 16.7 How do I swap calls when I get more than one?
- 16.8 Choosing apps takes me to a screen with all of my apps on it and there is not one for call log already loaded as an app
- 16.9 I am not seeing an Add button to make a conference call on my mobile phone
- 16.10 There is no Swap option on my Samsung Galaxy S4, what can I do to swap the calls to talk to the first caller and put the other one on hold?
- 16.11 I cannot find the Manage Conference Call on my Samsung Galaxy S4
- 16.12 I find it bogus using a phone where you cannot use conference; I might need to use my old phone. Due to this CDMA and GSM technology thing. I am not sure what the difference is
- 16.13 I do not see Merge or Conference Call on my phone and so as Additional settings, where can I look this up?
- 16.14 There is no Additional Settings when I go to Apps then Settings. Any work around?
- 16.15 How many calls can be merged at one time?
- 17 Comments
This is part of the VisiHow series on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. You can visit the main VisiHow on how to USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 for a full list of S4 VisiHow Articles
A phone cannot be a phone if it does not have the ability to make calls. The process for making calls with the Samsung Galaxy S4 is similar to calling on other Android phones. In this article, we'll cover how to make calls on Marshmallow, Lollipop, Kitkat and Jellybean. We'll also cover some of the main in-call settings and features such as; noise reduction, volume boost, speakerphone and conference calling to name a few.
Method 1: Marshmallow
Make a Call (Marshmallow)
Call Settings (Marshmallow)
Make a Conference Call (Marshmallow)
You must have conference calling enabled with your mobile service provider to access the feature. The steps below will work only if you have this option set up on your mobile plan. To be sure, contact your carrier's customer or technical support.
Method 2: Lollipop
Make a Call (Lollipop)
Call settings (Lollipop)
Make a Conference Call (Lollipop)
Conference calls are a carrier provided function. The steps below will only work if you have conference calling enabled on your mobile service plan. If you're not sure, contact your carrier's technical support for more information.
Method 3: Jelly Bean / Kitkat
Make a Call (Jelly Bean / Kitkat)
To make calls on Samsung Galaxy S4, you may refer to the steps below:
- 1Go to the Samsung Galaxy S4's home menu.Advertisement
- 2Tap on the Application Drawer (lower right icon on the home screen).
- 3Look for the Phone icon in the Application Drawer and tap on it.
- 4Alternatively, you can simply tap on the Phone icon from your home menu (lower left on the home screen) to access the Phone application.You are now on the Samsung Galaxy S4's Phone application.
- 5Once you are in the Phone application, you can either make the call by using the Keypad, the Logs, the Favorites or the Contacts.
- 6Tap the "Call" button to make the call.If you want to use the Keypad, tap on the Keypad tab and enter the number using your phone's on-screen keypad.
- 7Tap on a number or contact name and press the "Call" button to make the call.If you want to use the Logs, tap on the Logs tab to view a history of your incoming and outgoing messages and calls.
- 8Tap on a number or contact name and press the "Call" button to make the call.If you want to use Favorites, tap on the Favorites tab to view a list of your favorite contacts.
- 9Tap on a number or contact name and press the "Call" button to make the call.If you want to use the Contacts, tap on the Contacts tab to view a list of all your contacts.
Available Actions During a Call
Normally, when the phone is on a call, some of its basic functions are temporarily unavailable until the call is done. However there are allowable actions that may be used during the call. Familiarizing yourself with these actions may help you save time and resources:
- 1Equalizer Button - Allows you to select and use an equalizer option during your call.
- 2Effective turning on and off the noise reduction feature will allow you clearer conversations.Noise Reduction Button - Allows you to deactivate or activate the noise reduction feature of your phone.
- 3Increase/Decrease Volume Button - Allows you to increase or decrease the call volume,
- 4This may come in handy when you enable your call waiting and call conference feature. You can also use the headset hold/unhold button for this purpose.Hold/Unhold Button - Allows you to hold or unhold a call.
- 5Add call - Allows you to dial a second number to call.
- 6Keypad - Allows you to open the Keypad for purposes of dialing, or viewing contacts.
- 7End Call - Allows you to end the current call.
- 8Do not put your ear near the speaker when you are on this mode.Speaker - Allows you to use your phone on loudspeaker mode.
- 9During Mute mode, your microphone is turned off so the other party cannot hear you.Mute - Allows you to set your phone to Mute mode.
- 10Headset - Allows you to set to a Bluetooth headset, as long as the headset has been connected and paired with your Samsung Galaxy S4.
- 11Swap - Allows you to swap between calls when you are on multiple calls.
- 12You can repeat this to add more calling parties to the conference. This feature is only available if the conference call service feature of your network is allowed.Merge - Allows you to connect to active calls.
- 13Tapping on "Menu" button and tapping "Contact" - Allows you to open and view the contact list on your Samsung Galaxy S4.
- 14This may be useful when there is something that you need to take note of during the call.Tapping on "Menu" button and tapping "Memo" - Allows you to create a memo.
- 15Tapping on "Menu" button and tapping "Message" - Allows you to create and send a message during the call.
- 16Tapping on "Menu" button and tapping "Transfer" - Allows you to disconnect from the conversation and connecting the first and second party of the call.
- 17This may be useful when you want to have a private conversation with a party during a conference call or disconnect a desired party from the conference call.Tapping on "Menu" button and tapping "Manage Conference Call" - Allows you to manage conference calls.
Use Fixed Dialing Number
Samsung Galaxy S4 can be set so that it may only call certain numbers from a set of specified prefixes. This is useful if you only want to call people on a specific network to save additional charges on inter-network calls. To implement this restriction, you need to follow these procedures.
- 1Go to your home menu.
- 2Tap on the "Menu" button (left button).
- 3On the Menu list, tap on "Call Settings".
- 4On Call settings, tap on "Additional Settings".
- 5On Additional Settings, tap on "Fixed Dialing Numbers".
- 6On Fixed Dialing Numbers, tap on "Enable FDN".
- 7You will be required to enter the PIN supplied with your SIM card.
- 8Tap on "FDN List" and add your desired prefixes.
Use call barring
Samsung Galaxy S4 can be set to restrict certain call types from being made. You can do this be following the steps:
- 1Go to your home menu.
- 2Tap on the "Menu" button (left button).
- 3On the Menu list, tap on "Call Settings".
- 4On Call settings, tap on "Additional Settings".
- 5On Additional Settings, tap on "Call Barring".
- 6Select a Call Type.
- 7Select a Call Barring option.
- 8Enter a password.
How to Make Conference Call on your Samsung Galaxy S4
To set up a conference to call and add or merge two or more calls simultaneously, just follow these steps:
How to get Call Log Symbol and Contacts in Samsung S4
To get the Call Log Symbol and the Contacts on your Samsung S4, you have to:
- 1Go to your home screen.
- 2Press and hold on a blank space on your home screen.
- 3Choose "Apps" to add a shortcut for Call Log.
- 4Choose "Call Log".
- 5Tap on "Back" and go to the home screen once again.
- 6Press and hold on a blank space on the home screen.
- 7Choose "Apps" once again to create a shortcut for Contacts.
- 8Choose "Contacts".
- 9Touch and drag the shortcuts to the location or area that you would like them to be placed on.
- 10Then drop at to the exact location you prefer.
- 11You may also do the same to add widgets on your home screen.
How to know Call is Waiting During Outgoing calls on Samsung S4
- 1There are many options available to alert you. Here is the procedure to bring up those options. The many options will be described, and the procedure to enable your choice for the call waiting alert:You can be alerted when there is a call waiting during your outgoing calls.
- Go to the home screen
- Tap "Apps".
- Select "Settings".
- Select "My device".
- Tap "Call".
- Tap "Call Alerts".
- 2Options will be listed for receiving Call Waiting alerts, and how to enable them:After "Call Alerts" appears.
- Tap "Answer vibration", which activates vibrate when the other person answers your call.
- Tap "Call-end vibration", which activates vibrate when your call has ended.
- Tap "Call connect tone", which creates a tone once your call is connected at the other end.
- Tap "Minute Minder", which creates a beeping sound after each minute during a phone conversation.
- Tap "Call end tone", which signals a tone after your call is finished.
- Tap "Alerts during calls", which activates an alarm with any message notifications during your call.
- 3More calling options on the Samsung Galaxy S4:
- On your home screen, touch "Apps".
- Go to "Settings".
- Select "My device" tab.
- Tap "Call".
- Tap "Call accessories" on the menu.
- 4On the "Call accessories" menu, you have four options:
- Automatic answering timer - sets up an automatic time delay prior to your Galaxy taking a call.
- Automatic answering - sets up the Galaxy to answer your calls when a headset is worn.
- Outgoing Call Conditions permits you to send calls when your mobile device is locked.
- 5Additional Settings:
- On the home screen, tap "Apps".
- Go to "Settings".
- Select the "My device" tab.
- Tap "Call".
- Tap "Additional settings".
- 6At "Additional settings" tap for any of these options on the Galaxy S4:
- Call forwarding Used for forwarding calls to another party.
- Caller ID Permits you to select how/if you want your caller ID to be seen: Hide number, Show number, and Select Network default.
- Auto Redial Your last number dialed will be automatically redialed if you lose the call or are unable to connect on the first try.
- Call Waiting It will signal you when there is a party trying to call you while you are already on a call.
- Fixed Dialing Numbers With this you can allow only certain phone numbers to reach you.
You now have the many calling options from which to personalize all your Samsung Galaxy S4 calls, including how to know if a call is waiting for outgoing calls.
Tips and Tricks
- Tap and hold the corresponding digit to use the speed dial feature of your phone.
- Samsung Galaxy S4 has a neat feature that predicts the number based on the current dialed numbers. When you are in the process of dialing the first four or five digits, your phone will show the possible matches. Tap on the list of possible numbers to make the call.
- You can also find contacts by merely entering the contact details like name, phone number or email address. As characters and digits are entered, it will match 'possible contacts' will show. Tap on the desired contact to make the call.
- To make an international call, tap and hold on "0" until the "+" sign appears. Follow the "+" sign with the country code + area code + phone number and then tap the Call button to make the call (a different charge may be applied for international calls)
- You can add a phone number to the contact list from the keypad by entering the number and tapping on "Add to contacts".
- To view call logs, tap logs to view the history of outgoing and incoming calls to and from your phone. You can filter call logs based on a category by tapping on the "Menu" button and tapping on "View by". You can then select the option that you want.
- Calls may only be made when there is strong enough network signal in your area.
- Call quality may depend on the strength of your area's network signal and the strength of the network signal of the person you are calling.
- Charges may be applied to calls. Additional charges may be applied on conference calls. Please check this with your local network service provider before making the call.
- If you are on an unlimited calls service to a network provider, knowing when to use the Fixed Dialing Number (FDN) feature on your phone may save you large amounts of call charges.
- For longer calls, it is advisable to use a headset instead of putting your phone to your ears for long periods as this may cause some physical strain on your arms and neck muscles.
Questions and Answers
What is the default password for Galaxy S4? I don't know the password to unlock call barring?
There is no set password for call barring. When you attempt to activate the call barring service on your phone, you choose your own password before you can activate it. When asked for a password, simply enter the password that you want and call barring will be activated. When you need to deactivate it, simply follow the same procedures and enter your password again.
If your phone is asking for a password even if you have not set it yet, try the default 0000. This is the default password for network carriers. Take note that there is a limit to the number of times that you can enter the wrong barring password, then the only way now is to call your network operator and ask for a reset of the barring password for your device. It is important to know that any reset on the device will not reset your password. Only the carriers can help you with this.
The only default password on the device will be 0000 or 1111 which in fact is the default code for things pertaining to pairing or passwords on your device.
Can't hear the caller and he can't hear me?
I have problem with my Galaxy S4 mini. When my husband calls me from his S4, he cannot hear me and I cannot hear him. However, we both can normally call and hear other people and receive calls from other people and they hear us and we hear them. We have not changed any settings and we are not rejecting each other's calls. What to do?
This issue has been talked about as of now, some people fixed the issue by hard resetting both of the devices. The issue might be due to one or both parties deleting important information from their phone, or someone might have inadvertently downloaded an application that has corrupted the device.
Also you can contact your carrier's customer service in order to help reset your network settings, without having to reset your whole device because of this issue.
Need to end conference call but the Manage Call tab doesn't pop up
If you want to end the whole conference call you can simply press the end call button to cut off the entire conversation between you and all the other people.
Also, if your Manage Tab has disappeared, look at your phone and slide your notification bar down in order to select the phone icon in order to bring back up the phone options.
If you want to cancel the conference call you are on, simply end the call by pressing the End Call button. If you want to manage the calls, you will need to press the Menu button in order to open up the option of ending the call with one or more people on the list, or all of them.
See more questions like this: How to make conference calls in Samsung trend GT-S7392
See more questions like this: Can your boss kiss you without any emotional attachment
OK if I'm talking to someone and someone else calls me and I click over and answer their call, How do I join both of the calls?
If you want to join both of the calls, simply hit the Merge button located on the screen after you click over to talk to the next person. Alternatively, you can opt to not click over at all but instead merge the calls.
You can join both of the calls by performing the following steps:
1. Take the phone away from your face.
2. Press the Merge button in order to bring the two calls together.
This feature is not an option. Why isn't it?
In the step: "Tapping on "Menu" button and tapping "Manage Conference Call" - Allows you to manage conference calls. This is useful when you want to have a private conversation with a party during a conference call, or disconnect a party from the conference call." This feature is not an option. Why isn't it?
First you will need to take your face away front he device and press the Menu button in order to display the option for you to manage your conference call.
In the step: "Enter a password." can not disable Call Barring...need input password?
In the step: "Enter a password." cannot disable Call Barring...need input password
Yes, in order to activate Call Barring, you will need to insert your password for your device, so the device knows this action is coming from the owner. When making changes such as these you will need to enter your password to confirm that you are the owner of the device.
The password they are asking you to enter for Call Barring is the password you have set up on your device. Before the update it could be a pin, pattern or password. If you would like to continue, simply enter the password for your device, or you will need to set up a new password for your device.
How do I swap calls when I get more than one?
When I get a call while I am already on the phone, it allows me to answer the second call, but I can't get back to the first call.
Once you accept the next call on your device you will simply need to pull the phone away from your face to have both calls stacked, from here you will need to simply tap on the person you are wishing to talk to in order to swap the call.
Choosing apps takes me to a screen with all of my apps on it and there is not one for call log already loaded as an app
If you want to see your call logs on the phone. You do not need to go to the list of applications or the applications drawer on the phone. Just launch your dialer app on the phone where you usually dial a number to call one of your contacts. You will find tabs on top of the screen, once you launch the dialer app, Tap the Call Logs and you will find the list of contacts that you made within the past day, or few days or weeks. The call logs there do not only list the phone numbers that you have called, but it also includes the phone numbers you have texted or SMS.
If the Conference Call feature is not present on your phone, then your phone does not support this feature. Not all Android phones allow you to make conference calls. Normally, for phones that support the conference call feature, it will be visible on your phone screen upon making a first call. Whenever you made a first call, you should have been able to see an option that looks like a plus sign in a circle. This is the icon that allows you to add a contact to be called, then to merge the two of them. If this is not present, then the phone is not able to do conference calls.
See more questions like this: How do I set the mute mode on my phone during a conference call
There is no Swap option on my Samsung Galaxy S4, what can I do to swap the calls to talk to the first caller and put the other one on hold?
Actually, there is a swap option on your Samsung Galaxy S4. The said option is not really visible on your phone screen. There are different steps for making a conference call or merging calls. In order for you to swap calls and put the other call on hold, follow the steps:
1. Make sure that you have the two calls in Merge or Conference Call
2. On your phone, tap the Menu soft key that is located on the left panel of the Home button and a Menu will appear on your phone screen.
3. Select the Manage Conference call and you should be able to see your contacts while they are in conference and an icon for the Merge on the left side and End on the right side.
4. To speak with one of your contacts privately and to automatically put the other on hold. Tap the option for the Merge icon as it will be separated from the other contacts and you can start talking in private.
If you want to end certain contact, simply tap the red End button on your phone screen to end it then they will be released. If you wanted to end both contacts at the same time, simply tap on Back to Call and tap the red End call on screen and both will be released.
See more questions like this: Hi I just bought a Samsung S4 but its not letting me call
I cannot find the Manage Conference Call on my Samsung Galaxy S4
The Manage Conference Call can be found while you have the calls in conference; this is not a visible option on your phone screen. While you have the two contacts in Conference Call, you need to tap the Options Menu located on the left hand of the Home button and a screen option will appear where you can find the Manage Conference Call.
See more questions like this: I am unable to merge the conference call as the Samsung S4 puts the 1st called number on hold
I find it bogus using a phone where you cannot use conference; I might need to use my old phone. Due to this CDMA and GSM technology thing. I am not sure what the difference is
This is normal technology for handheld devices that can be on CDMA or GSM technology. There is a lot of confusion regarding this technology being used on handheld devices. Currently, there are two big companies in the United States using CDMA technology, where in international technology, it is no longer available, or being phased out. It is exclusive technology for US networks. The companies that use CDMA technology are Verizon and Sprint. So, now to answer your question, what does CDMA?
Remember that CDMA phones do not have a SIM card slot for you to insert new numbers for your mobile phones. Although there are CDMA phones that have SIM card slots, but only from Sprint or Verizon networks (4G Data network). To make it short, you can only use one feature at a time, such as, making conference call where you can only do one call at a time or when your data connection is enabled and you make a call or calls, the data connection will become disabled, to prioritize the call.
Normally, you are required to call the network carrier to have them change the settings on the phone remotely and to have it activated based on the plan you get or subscribed from them.
Let us talk about the GSM. GSM are typically phones that have SIM card slots, that allows you to insert network SIM cards. GSM does not require you to contact a network carrier for the phone to become activated, as you can simply insert a SIM card from a network carrier of your choosing. GSM uses multiple tasking, which allows you to make a conference call and use data at the same time.
If you are planning a trip abroad or to other countries, it is best if you have a GSM ready phone that is unlocked to allow you to use their networks. Just like Philippines, where they use GSM technology allowing you to have a Philippine phone number.
To Sum it up, it is not the phone's fault but it is the feature of a certain network carrier why you cannot do multiple tasks. It is due to the CDMA technology your network is using.
I do not see Merge or Conference Call on my phone and so as Additional settings, where can I look this up?
One possible reason why Conference and Additional settings are not available on your phone is due to the phone being set to easy mode, and not in the standard mode. You need to change this easy settings mode to a standard mode to have full access of all the features on your phone. The easy mode is meant for beginners to make the phone simple to navigate, just like with an iPhone.
To switch from Easy to Standard mode:
1. Go to your Settings and drag down the Notification Bar on top to bottom.
2. Tap on Settings, the one that looks like a gear icon on screen.
3. Select the Easy Standard mode then tap the Apply button to apply the settings. Now your phone should be back to standard mode.
If your phone is not currently on easy mode, but you still cannot find the Additional settings, you can find it by simply opening the dialer on your mobile phone., although you need to launch the dialer first.
1. Once you have the Dialer or Phone on your screen, simply tap on the Menu soft key that is located on the left hand side of the home button.
2. On the small pop up menu on screen, you'll see: Send messages, Speed Dialing and Call Settings. Tap on the Call Settings to open another set of options.
3. Now, in the Call Settings screen, you should be able to see several options. The list includes the Additional Settings, located in the middle screen. Tap it to open the menu, which will allow you to configure the settings you want.
There is no Additional Settings when I go to Apps then Settings. Any work around?
Actually there is no work around for you to go to the Additional settings on your mobile phone. The Additional Settings cannot be found in the list of Applications and in the Settings. This can be found in the Dialer or Phone where you usually dial a phone number. Simply go back to the Main Screen or Home screen on your phone, the one that looks like a green handset.
Once you have launched the Dialer or Phone. Tap the Menu soft key on the left side of the Home button. A pop-up selection will appear on your screen. You will see a list - Call Settings, Speed Dialing and Send Messages. Tap on the Call Settings and there you will find the Additional Settings, just below the Call Accessories and above the Ringtone and Sound Settings.
Tap the Additional Settings, which will allow you to change or add some settings on your phone, such as; Fixed Dialing Numbers, Auto redial, Call Waiting, Call Barring, Auto Area Code, Call Forwarding and Caller ID. Once you are done adding or changing some settings, simply go back or press the Home button, as these additions and changes will be saved automatically.
How many calls can be merged at one time?
Need to have a conference call with 7-8 different contacts. Will Samsung S4 allow this through the merge call feature
The conference call for Samsung Galaxy S4 is not ideal when you need to have a conference call with 7-8 different contacts. It may be possible, but you may end up having a line that's not very clear.
For Conference Calls with large numbers like this, you may want to opt for other solutions, such as using Go To Meeting or setting up conference calls with Arkadin. These are far more reliable and you are guaranteed a clearer line. These are also usually free or they allow a free trial for a certain period of time.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4
Recent edits by: Nuance, vc, Melsan