Make All Natural Organic Homemade Potato Chips
Edited by MsBarbs, Eng, Doug Collins
Today we're going to teach you how to make your own fried potatoes at home. As you can see, we've got two knives, a bowl, and a cutting board. The knife on the right, the one that's red, blue and white, that's going to be our small knife that we use to take the eyes out of the potatoes or anything unpleasant. The knife on the left, which is our green knife, is the one we are going to use to actually cut the potatoes. The bowl will be filled with cold water. The potatoes once washed and clean with the eyes taken out will be placed onto the cutting board and cut into slices. Those slices will be placed into the bowl of cold water, and they will sit there for about 15 minutes. We will rinse them several times during the period. That will get all of the starch off of the potatoes. When that is done will move to part two, which is our stove, where we will have a pot, some oil, a little bit of salt, and any extra seasonings we like. At which time we will make our own fried potatoes.
- 1If you're anything like us, you'll find that your family likes to save plastic bags. Specifically, enough plastic bags that you could weave a parachute and jump out the window. However, this also happens to be where the potatoes are, so let's go get our potatoes.We are about to get started, let's get a few potatoes and wash those up.Advertisement
- 3This will get the dirt that is on it nice and soft so that it is easily washed off. As you can see the sink is a little dirty from washing the other potatoes. So, this potato as you clean it, you can use your fingernails a little bit to just scrape across the dirt as the water runs over it. This is warm water. Warm water will help penetrate the dirt and get it cleaned off more quickly.Turn on the water and let the water run over the potato for a few minutes.
- 5Do the same thing here. Cut that out. The reason we are going to cut the eyes out of the potato is because 1. They are kind of unsightly 2. They can make people sick if they are not done properly. You can also see that our bowl is now full of water.So, cut that out, you can see is nice and clean in there now.
- 8So, each of these cuts need to be nice and thin straight across. Oops. If you mess up like I just did, don't worry about it. You are going to fry these up and you and the kids are going to eat them. So it's fine. Now we have these pieces. Just go ahead and put these in our bowl of water. The soaking is going to get the starch off.The thinner the chips are the better they are when you cook them.
- 16Oil and water do not mix, so you do not want to throw these in the oil, which will be frying them in. If you have a microwave, you can make them in the microwave as well, which will be another one of our videos on how to make microwave chips which are pretty tasty, although it does tend to heat the plate up a little bit.Shake out the water.
- 17We are going to take some of our choice, meaning the ones I did not mess up, potato pieces, and lay them on top to dry. You're going to want to make sure your sink is clean before you do this, because you may drop some of the pieces in which case you are going to want to pick it up or use a different one. Let's let those dry. They will be our initial trial run. I will show you how to prepare those in just a minute.The next thing we do is take one of our little containers and put it down in the bottom of the sink.
- 23The napkins are to soak up the oil, because there is going to be a little bit of oil coming out of here. Another thing you want to make sure of, when you are stirring this is that they are not sticking to the bottom. If you use a lot more oil then you don't have to worry as much about them sticking to the bottom. You also want to make sure that they do not stick together themselves either. Cooking time is just a couple of minutes because they are relatively thin. You can make thicker chips but they will not be as crispy. I am a fan of crispy chips. So, chips that are not crispy are not high on my list of tasty things.Place a few napkins onto a plate.
- 24It's an easy fix. Just to get yourself a dry spoon, and get it off the bottom. You can use Teflon if you have a Teflon pan. I don't. Most of my pans are ceramic. Ceramic pans are actually good for cooking and for high heat. This is an older pan, which is why he chose to use it.It looks like we have one that is starting to stick to the bottom.
- 25Crispy, crispy potatoes are what you are looking for. Crispy potatoes are not floppy. If they are floppy they are not done. Makes sense right? I mean we are making crispy chips. Let's let that cook for a minute more.A lot of people want to know "well, how am I going to know when my potatoes are done?" You know your potatoes are done when they stop being floppy.
- 26This one is actually getting a little burned. Lift them out of the pot with a spoon and place them onto the paper towels. The potatoes will keep cooking for a second. After you take them out because of the oil on them will continue roasting them. There are better tools that you can use to take these out as well.Our first little taters are ready to come out.
- 28Let's put some of the salt on there that I was talking about. Flip them over. These technically I suppose could stand to be cooked a little more. Do leave us any comments that you have and we look forward to hearing from you. Stay tuned for the next video. Have a great day.There we have our taters.Advertisement
Video: Make All Natural Organic Homemade Potato Chips
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Make All Natural Organic Homemade Potato Chips. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 27, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Make_All_Natural_Organic_Homemade_Potato_Chips
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Make All Natural Organic Homemade Potato Chips." VisiHow, visihow.com/Make_All_Natural_Organic_Homemade_Potato_Chips Accessed 27 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Make All Natural Organic Homemade Potato Chips." Accessed Mar 27, 2017. http://visihow.com/Make_All_Natural_Organic_Homemade_Potato_Chips.
Categories : Appetizers & Finger Foods
Recent edits by: Eng, MsBarbs